Would You Rather Kill 5 Or "Kill" One?

80hours

Would you pull the lever?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pull the lever?

• Yes.
    • No.

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

I wouldn't pull the lever because those 5 people have accepted they are going to die and that 1 person thinks they have survived. Also that one person is alone and terrified, the other people are together. The 5 people have a chance of escaping or untying each other. By pulling the lever you are saying one person is worth less than 5 other people, in that situation I would feel awful to pull the lever on that one person who is going to die alone. Also those 5 people could be elderly and that one person could be a small child. It's more cruel to pull the lever than it is to let the 5 people die.

In that particular case, I guess I'd pull it, but the details make a difference whether I'd come down on the utilitarian or opposing side.  For example, I don't think doctors should be allowed to kill a healthy innocent person to provide five life-saving organ transplants.

Something I forgot to mention...

You are not killing anyone.

Either way, no matter whether you pull the lever or not (unless you're responsible for those people being there and/or the train coming along in the first place when you know that there are people there who are unaware of the train approaching). Damage will be done anyway; the only choice you have is to limit the damage or not. That doesn't mean that you caused that damage, which is what "killing" implies to me.

WithAnOunceOfDignity

Does it not depend on who the "one" is? People are not all equally valuable.

If there are 5 regular people and the 1 is Elon Musk or some other important, highly productive/advantageous person, I'd obviously save Musk over the 5. The quantity is irrelevant. This kind of thought experiment incorrectly assumes that the answerer views all lives at a flat rate of utility.

Hermit Advocate

Pull the lever Kronk. 

Hermit Advocate

Unless the one person is my cat. Then let them die. 

Archived