Science and Asexuality

AnarchistTactician

AnarchistTactician

Another post in this side of the forum? Why yes, yes it is. I do love this nook. Ahem, I digress.

I ask you, science (or math) focused AVENites (actually lets just include all of STEM), which of you did not realize your asexuality from being blinded with a love of science?

I personally have always been very vocal about not wanting, a spouse, children, or anything that would tie me down really. The idea of being unable to learn more, unable to travel, frightens me so. Yet, I can say this and most people (including myself for a time) attributed this to my fear of somehow having my career (I won't be able to learn more or support myself of what I love if it does.:o) ending.

So, I assumed the lack of wanting any of it was simply due to the fact I set it aside for my interests, I may also add I'm aro/ace, so that may contribute. 

Anybody else not realize their lack of sexuality(or maybe you simply have a lower desire) because they were focused on their interests, so as to take the place of anything like that?

Just curious, Science cake! :lol::lol::lol:

Image result for science cake

Galactic Turtle

Not STEM, per say, although I always had an interest in those topics as a kid. I grew up to actually be involved in technical concert production. In college I was more concerned about proper weight distribution on a grid and rigging techniques than I was in humans. 

I typically do not comment much however...this post really caught my interest and I had to add my .02 cents

I could not have put it better as you have in this post. I was that kid in highschool that would spend all my free time in the library or teacher's office. I had one or two good friends however books were my best companions. Same story in college...I much preferred a quiet coffee shop buried in neuroscience textbooks than the bar hopping and hooking up my peers were into.  In my readings and other research I came across some historical figures that may have had a similar take on life. You must be familiar with some names:

-Sir Isaac Newton

-Immanuel Kant

-Nikola Telsa

and some lesser known but equally intriguing individuals

i.e. the late and 11th president of India: Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam - also a renown scientist and engineer often referred to as "Missile Man" 

Not saying that the others were necessarily Ace however... in the case of Dr. Kalam...I really do wonder if he was Aro/Ace - I happened upon one of his books in the library. I could not believe how well I could relate to the things he says in his books- I felt an instant connection to this person I had never known before as if it were a long lost friend talking to me. He was a simple man dedicated to his studies and later took a spiritual path to elevate the suffering of his fellow citizens - utilizing his knowledge and technology to better the lives of everyday folks. He accomplished a great many things in his time and I have since purchased and read several more of his books. My  favourite being "Wings of Fire" and "Transcendence: My spiritual experience".

My hopes one day are to finish my MSc.OT Occupational Therapy program and head to Nepal or Thailand and put the skills in physical rehabilitation for disabled individuals and assistive technology to work. I was in part greatly inspired by the works of the late Dr. Kalam

Archived