Steak (Degrees of Doneness)

Pramana

Steak (Degrees of Doneness)  

96 members have voted

1. 1. At what degree of doneness do you prefer to eat a steak?

• Blue (almost raw).
    • Rare (pretty raw).
    • Medium rare (sort of cooked).
    • Medium (relatively cooked).
    • Medium well (cooked).
    • Well done (really cooked).
    • Don't eat steak.

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm told that Donald Trump enjoys his streak well done, garnished with ketchup. I'm a fan of blue steak, and beef sashimi. This is a poll to survey steak cooking preferences, and an invitation to share cooking techniques and recipes. If you don't eat meat, but have experience with vegetarian steak substitutes, feel free to discuss that instead.

Salted Karamel

I don't cook, but I answered how I prefer a steak to be cooked for me. It sounds like that's what you meant to ask—how one prefers to eat a steak, not how one prefers to cook it—but the way you phrased your question might prevent you from getting the answers you're looking for.

I eat medium well steak. Sensitive tummy and the texture of uncooked meat is weird. Never cooked one myself.

Medium rare. I wouldn't mind giving beef sashimi a try though. Speaking of sashimi, when it comes to fish I actually prefer sashimi over cooked fish.

Alejandrogynous

I voted medium-rare because that's what I most often cook/order but it depends on the cut. Lean steaks I like rare, while anything with marbling should be closer to medium-rare so the fat has a chance to melt some. A steak that accomplishes that while still being mostly red inside is perfection.

And I think most steak-lovers will agree, "well done and with ketchup" is a tragedy.

You didn't have an option for me so I didn't answer, I like mine to be practically running around in the paddock, or as they put it in the movie Pulp Fiction 'bloody as hell' :P

I don’t eat steak

I don't find steak very appealing, but when I do eat it it's got to be well done. Anything less and I'm not touching it. I don't like ketchup though, I promise!

I've heard the trials of people ordering well done steaks at restaurants, only to be met with refusals from the kitchen staff. I've also heard that medium rare is the popular and restauranteur default, and so far the results of this poll are in line with that assessment.

This thread is reminding me of this scene from the show King of the Hill :P 

For me, when I eat a steak-I prefer it medium well because my body seems to do better with it. But when I was younger, I used to eat them well done.

It entirely depends on how much I trust the place and/or butcher. In no case less than medium. There are some pubs where I never even consider eating steak (although the worst of them closed a couple of weeks ago).

Mychemicalqpr

I don't really love steak, but it's alright if it's really cooked. I just don't like things to be really hard to chew, alright? For most steak eaters though, chewy seems to be the whole point. To each their own. 

I'm kind of surprised that so far there's only one vote for blue (mine) and one vote for rare. Food safety concerns are an interesting topic. I'm the sort of person who even orders rare hamburgers.

4 hours ago, Pramana said:

I'm kind of surprised that so far there's only one vote for blue (mine) and one vote for rare. Food safety concerns are an interesting topic. I'm the sort of person who even orders rare hamburgers.

What do you call it when it is literally raw inside, but almost burned on the outside? That's the best way to have it, with creamy mushroom and white wine sauce. and a giant salad. Yum.

16 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

What do you call it when it is literally raw inside, but almost burned on the outside? That's the best way to have it, with creamy mushroom and white wine sauce. and a giant salad. Yum.

14 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

You put camembert or brie slices on top of the steak, then pour the sauce over so the cheese melts :wub: so hungry now.

That sounds awesome! I think the phrase you're looking for is Pittsburgh rare.

Medium, with some blood left in it, and I hope Trump chokes on his.

21 hours ago, FictoVore. said:

You didn't have an option for me so I didn't answer, I like mine to be practically running around in the paddock, or as they put it in the movie Pulp Fiction 'bloody as hell' :P

tumblr_n58xuu6Foi1qgelp4o3_500.gif

*loves steak* I go with medium (relatively cooked). I used to have it medium well or well done, but not so much anymore. I like some pink-reddish in mine. :P Where I am, many of the restaurants won't allow you to order rare (cause yeah, food safety).

I don't really care for steak. It's too hard for me to chew. But I guess I prefer medium rare? Or whatever's the one that's easier to chew.

I don't like steak, but on the rare occasions I have eaten, I prefer it well-done.

Medium or medium rare (but voted medium in this case)

Hermit Advocate

Medium rare. Though on those rare occasions when I order steak while eating out I ask for medium. 

I'm currently pescetarian, but used to be really into grilling and steaks before that. I swore by medium rare - well done wrecks the flavor, tenderness, and juiciness of the steak.

Archived