Enjoying Medias Representation of Love and or Romance

AussieIsAce

I don't really understand why i love TV, movies, books and other forms of medias display of love and romantic. i ship couples in the media super hard but i always get so confused...i want the characters to be happy and yet i wouldn't want to ever be in there position....sometimes i feel like the only to have a real love or romance is for it to be sexual. Like im Asexual and don't wanna have sex ever....like at all!!!! and yet i love when characters do on Tv is that normal?? am i alone in this? 

side note: i hate hearing about my friends or families sexual lives that shit is so nasty. Maybe i enjoy the medias displays because i know its just acting therefor its fake. either way am i alone? 

maybe if there were real asexual couples on TV id feel like my future love would be more real or complete. 

It's perfectly natural to do so. It's very easy to get swept away by a good story, especially one exploring the emotional connection between people. Irl it's messy and complicated, but in media everything sorts itself out in the end, and they live happily ever after. No one can blame you for liking something so often portrayed as a happy ending. 

I agree though, they should make a movie exploring the emotional connection between two people without sex or romance involved. It would be very heartwarming to see the kind of symbiotic relationship the two would have, without the overromantisised tropes of modern media.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
1 hour ago, Lichley said:

It's perfectly natural to do so. It's very easy to get swept away by a good story, especially one exploring the emotional connection between people. Irl it's messy and complicated, but in media everything sorts itself out in the end, and they live happily ever after. No one can blame you for liking something so often portrayed as a happy ending. 

I agree though, they should make a movie exploring the emotional connection between two people without sex or romance involved. It would be very heartwarming to see the kind of symbiotic relationship the two would have, without the overromantisised tropes of modern media.

Exactly! That would be such nice refreshing new approach. We should consider writing to hollywood for producing an ace-related blockbuster:D

One of the reasons I love Wall-E is because he spends so much energy trying to hold Eve's hand. It's so sweet. 

It's also an animated movie about robot because *cringes* sex sells.

If someone wrote a decent romantic-ish book a with asexual adults (30+) that would be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1
On 18/10/2017 at 10:31 AM, miettaisace said:

I don't really understand why i love TV, movies, books and other forms of medias display of love and romantic. i ship couples in the media super hard but i always get so confused...i want the characters to be happy and yet i wouldn't want to ever be in there position....sometimes i feel like the only to have a real love or romance is for it to be sexual. Like im Asexual and don't wanna have sex ever....like at all!!!! and yet i love when characters do on Tv is that normal?? am i alone in this? 

side note: i hate hearing about my friends or families sexual lives that shit is so nasty. Maybe i enjoy the medias displays because i know its just acting therefor its fake. either way am i alone? 

maybe if there were real asexual couples on TV id feel like my future love would be more real or complete. 

I'm the same. I was a big Eric x Sookie shipper from True Blood. I romance and sex in media but I don't want it for myself. I guess as it is easier to ship and maintain a mental fantasy instead of a real life one.

• Like 1
colossalpenguins

For me it's definitely hit and miss. Overall I have no objection to the idea of romantic relationships in media but it really depends on how well it's done. I can find myself feeling very jaded about them if they're not done well. Particularly with movies and TV I get exasperated at how quickly characters seem to suddenly fall in love with no prior warning/signs of having any interest in each other. So, essentially, I'm fine with the idea of it, it's the execution I sometimes object to.

• Like 1