• Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bisexual
    • Refuse answer
  2. 2. What is your gender?

• Male
    • Female

Horse Ham Radio

Who has come across the questions above before? :P Don't we all just hate it when a questionnaire or poll doesn't capture every category? When the answer boxes imply that you don't exist.

I'm interested in seeing examples - questions or otherwise - in modern times that invalidate people's identities. I want to know what sort of discrimination we face at this level. Any part of any identity is fine - not just looking for asexuality.

swirl_of_blue

I came across questionnaire that had the gender question as "what gender do you identify as", and then only had male and female options. No "other", no "refuse to answer". Just the two options. It was to me even worse than asking about my sex: I can always just go by being biologically female (there is only one word in Finnish that stands for both "gender" and "sex", so usually it is easy for me to just use my birth sex). But asking me to blatantly misgender myself? I couldn't do that and since the gender question was required I just didn't fill out the form at all. I can't remember exactly what the form was about, but I think it was some sort of feedback form for University student council stuff. I don't know if there were any questions about sexuality, since it was an online form and you could only see the next question after answering the previous one (and I stopped at the first one), but I doubt asexual or anything besides hetero/homo/bi would have been available.

Horse Ham Radio
49 minutes ago, swirl_of_blue said:

I came across questionnaire that had the gender question as "what gender do you identify as", and then only had male and female options. No "other", no "refuse to answer". Just the two options. It was to me even worse than asking about my sex: I can always just go by being biologically female (there is only one word in Finnish that stands for both "gender" and "sex", so usually it is easy for me to just use my birth sex). But asking me to blatantly misgender myself? I couldn't do that and since the gender question was required I just didn't fill out the form at all. I can't remember exactly what the form was about, but I think it was some sort of feedback form for University student council stuff. I don't know if there were any questions about sexuality, since it was an online form and you could only see the next question after answering the previous one (and I stopped at the first one), but I doubt asexual or anything besides hetero/homo/bi would have been available.

Yeah, the questions I put are based on ones I have come across. I did come across one that asked for my gender and only had Male/Female and must have been referring to sex (or at least I seriously hope so). I can't remember where it was, but it wasn't that long ago.

I'm also quite surprised by the 8+ people who have filled in my poll... It is very clearly there as an example of terrible questions :P I didn't mean for people to take it seriously :)

A mere monkey

There's never an attack helicopter option so it's always disappointing. 

I know I'm a female but I don't really know how to define my sexual orientation....maybe "non sexual" because I have no sexual drive now. But I was sexual in the past...:ph34r:

RoseGoesToYale

If it's a paper questionnaire, I might be cheeky and draw my own boxes and write in whatever they missed. But if it's an online thing and there are no other options... I might still be cheeky, and make note of it in the first convenient long answer box. Though usually I'll just give feedback in a feed back page, if there is one. I find surveys by any corporate entity are the worst offenders. Once I saw "What is your gender/sexual orientation?", and it listed gender and sexual orientation together in this weird mix. The only answer I can think of for that one is "yes".

3 hours ago, GhostGoesToWail said:

If it's a paper questionnaire, I might be cheeky and draw my own boxes and write in whatever they missed. But if it's an online thing and there are no other options... I might still be cheeky, and make note of it in the first convenient long answer box. Though usually I'll just give feedback in a feed back page, if there is one. I find surveys by any corporate entity are the worst offenders. Once I saw "What is your gender/sexual orientation?", and it listed gender and sexual orientation together in this weird mix. The only answer I can think of for that one is "yes".

What... How did... You know what, I don't want to know.

Well it could be worse.

BmvymSlIIAAir9U1.jpg

I_295722_1805559.jpg

2 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

Well it could be worse.

BmvymSlIIAAir9U1.jpg

I_295722_1805559.jpg

I once came across a questionnaire that had transgender as a sexuality option -.-

2 hours ago, Emanresu Yllisa said:

I once came across a questionnaire that had transgender as a sexuality option -.-

One of the recent BBC radio converations about asexuality (think it was one of the iPM ones) had an ace mention that his parents thought that his sexual orientation was transexual before he came out as ace. Both the ace and the presenter had a wee chuckle at that as the ace said he had to explain how that thought was wrong on so many levels.

On 16.10.2017 at 7:34 PM, nameinagame said:

Don't we all just hate it when a questionnaire or poll doesn't capture every category? When the answer boxes imply that you don't exist.

They can't capture every category because it would have to be a catalogue by now. (I'd think that an "other" option could be included without much of a problem)

Other than that, "Why do you say that I don't exist?" is just a straw man.

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

They can't capture every category because it would have to be a catalogue by now. (I'd think that an "other" option could be included without much of a problem)

Other than that, "Why do you say that I don't exist?" is just a straw man.

It's a mostly lighthearted topic. Chill.

1 minute ago, sea-lemon said:

It's a mostly lighthearted topic. Chill.

:)

I'm not even sure how one could come up with "Chinese" and "Hispanic" :lol: they've covered everything but food.

J. van Deijck

at first I was like wtf when I saw the poll, but now I see the point of this thread.

so good someone brings it out. some questionnaires are terribly inaccurate or simply invalidating.

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

at first I was like wtf when I saw the poll, but now I see the point of this thread.

same !! I got a shock !

this one sexual orientation quiz I found (which is like every other dumb one that asks if you like cupcakes or cake or something that has nothing to do with sexuality) had the gender options as: Male, female transgender. what? trans what? trans man, trans woman, what does a vague answer like just "transgender" mean? also those things that put transgender in with sexual orientation, what the h*ll are you supposed to sign? transgender and straight, transgender and gay, transgender and bisexual, like what?

it honestly makes me laugh because of how stupid it is how they get simple facts wrong, like that one up there that has "Chinese" and "Hispanic" as options.

49 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

why the h*** are Chinese and Hispanic sexual orientations ?! 😡

As someone who has chinese roots i find it quite hilarious they think we're an sexual orientation :P 

arekathevampyre
5 hours ago, Jayce said:

As someone who has chinese roots i find it quite hilarious they think we're an sexual orientation :P 

hey cool !! I didn't know that lol 

6 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

why the h*** are Chinese and Hispanic sexual orientations ?! 😡

As my original roots are  Mediterranean I feel devalued that that sexual orientation is not represented

Archived