Hey! Wanna help develop my story?

Forgotten Fox

Forgotten Fox

I've been working on this novel idea for NaNoWriMo, but I'm stuck on some plot holes/character development. I appreciate if you gave some time to read the backstory and answer my questions ^_^

Backstory: A new planet has been born, shaped by the being known as "The Creator". As powerful as they may be the Creator does not have the energy to care for all their creations at once so they create a variety of extraordinary beings similar to gods. They possess powers and are given the job of maintaining parts of the new world. Maintainers watch humans in their own realm(kinda like a spirit world which overlaps with reality but still it's own thing) and are not allowed under any circumstances to interfere within the human world. Among them two were in charge of watching over two tribes of the recently made humans. Everything was fine until a monster started attacking one tribe and one of the maintainers(Lets call them 1) immediately left their realm and killed the beast to save the humans. The creator was heartbroken as they broke the most important rule and was forced to banish 1 into the human realm. The other maintainer(Lets call them 2) rushed into the human realm when hearing the new to try and find 1 without being seen by the humans. They do find 1, but it is too late. Maintainers cannot keep their form for long outside their realm and must reside another being to live. Which is why the spirit of 1 now existed inside a child from the tribe they had saved. 2 attempted to separate them both, but was stopped by the horrified tribes people. In a state of grief/anger, 2 declared revenge on them and swore that they would be reunited with 1 before leaving. 2 then went to the opposite tribe and told them the story gaining their support. Finally 2 also possessed the body of a child in order to remain in the human realm until they could get back 1. The two tribes were now at war with each other, both thinking the other cruel, but neither wanting to lose the protection of a god. The two children are kept separated and must never see each other in fear of the beings they possessed breaking free. 1 does not know that 2 is still in the human realm and 2 just wants to go back home with 1 regardless of the Creator's judgement. 

Okay! Now after that long backstory, what I can't seem to decide is:

• What 1 & 2 should be the gods of(ex. plants, dreams, truth, etc)
  • What their names should be(kinda need to know the 1st thing to get ideas)
  • And what personality they seem to have or should have(Thank you so much if you read this far, I know this was a lot! :blush:)

For maintaining humanity, they should represent an aspect of humanity. Perhaps Truth and Ideal? Pride and Honor?

Names should match what culture you based things off of, or make up a language to name them as. Latin is another great source for names. 

Personalities should be as non-human as possible, like perhaps lacking empathy or a sense of pride etc. 

Okay, for the name thing, I usually just go to a name generator and click it a whole bunch of times until I find something I can build off of. Lots of generators have options for cultures or races or even fantasy- types. 

18 minutes ago, Yato said:

For maintaining humanity, they should represent an aspect of humanity. Perhaps Truth and Ideal? Pride and Honor?

I second this idea!

And I too think they should lack at least one major human trait. Maybe they aren't selfish at all or they are afraid of absolutely nothing? Idk, your choice :P

It sounds like you're creating a super awesome story, though. If you ever want someone to look it over, feel free to send it my way! I love editing.

Theheartyaerie

I don't have an answer for your questions, but if you ever need someone to read your book for whatever reason hit me up, because that was interesting. 

I'm up for reading it too.

flagsforhippos

OP - Zoroastrian mythology might be worth looking into. The first part of the premise reminds me a bit of the 'Amesha Spentas' and 'Yazatas' mentioned in Zoroastrian scripture and tradition. 

On 16/10/2017 at 4:27 AM, Yato said:

Names should match what culture you based things off of, or make up a language to name them as. Latin is another great source for names. 

Personalities should be as non-human as possible, like perhaps lacking empathy or a sense of pride etc. 

This definitely seems like, a good idea. Do you want us to make them properly or just give you ideas?

Either way this looks like an amazing story (I would definitely read this) 

Forgotten Fox
2 minutes ago, Lichley said:

This definitely seems like, a good idea. Do you want us to make them properly or just give you ideas?

Either way this looks like an amazing story (I would definitely read this) 

Well for the other gods I've just been getting Latin words and shuffling them together like anagrams till I get something I like so ideas would be a great place to start. But if you have a proper name in my mind already that great too! I just want to know people's ideas :)

1 minute ago, Forgotten Fox said:

Well for the other gods I've just been getting Latin words and shuffling them together like anagrams till I get something I like so ideas would be a great place to start. But if you have a proper name in my mind already that great too! I just want to know people's ideas :)

Hmm, heres a few of my ideas. (I could go on all night)

1. Eliora and Calla - Eliora means light, and could be the goddess of hope and profit. Whilst she may be the goddess of light also, she has a rather frosty exterior and prefers to keep her distance from humans. She doesn't see them as lesser, but rather as something that should not be interfered with, per the creator's decree. Calla is the god of life and hope. He's quite curious and adventurous. Being the god of life he takes great care in protecting life and maintaining hope. Upon seeing the monster attack their natural instincts to protect life outstripped their predisposition to not interfere. 
  2. Galen and Dlenendra. Galen is in charge of the ground, strong, study and reliable they protect the earth and the creatures that live upon it. Whilst their rocky exterior may look tough their heart is warm like the core of the earth, and they care deeply for all beings. Dlenendra is in charge of the sky. Clearing pollution, maintaining breathable air, and  monitoring gravity. They are aloof and kind, but can be vindictive and possessive if someone were to take Galen away.
  3. Anastasia and Methusael. Anastasia is in charge of maintaining life on the planet, and safeguarding the key to the heavens. She helps with the cultivation of  crops, fertility,and maintenance of the home. Methusael is in charge of maintaining the cycle of death. They recycle the natural components back into the cycle of life, making room for new creatures to be created, and preventing overpopulation. Methusael is actually the one to stop the monster. They knew that the monster would permanently destroy the resources that could've been made from the body, and that the monster would needlessly cause the death of many humans. This would be bad because the human population is currently dwindling, and Methusael knows Anastasia alone cannot make as complex a creature as humans on their own.

At any rate, sites like namberry are great because you can search for the meaning and origin of the names instead of just looking for a name with that meaning and origin, so you should check them out. Try to go with the deities covering constrasting ideals, without making it a cliché light and dark scenario, and maybe put a more unique perspective on things, like having one group fully accept the deity as a friend and helper, and the other being treaties as ruling class. 

Seriously, if you need any creative help whatsoever I'm literally overflowing with ideas because I suck at both drawing and writing good stories, but I have so so many ideas that I want to get down. Also I have maladaptive daydreaming disorder which means my imagination is on overdrive like 24/7, you think it would be cool but you're trying to concentrate and your brain just makes an entire world and says, hey let's play now.

Forgotten Fox
4 hours ago, Lichley said:

Seriously, if you need any creative help whatsoever I'm literally overflowing with ideas because I suck at both drawing and writing good stories, but I have so so many ideas that I want to get down. Also I have maladaptive daydreaming disorder which means my imagination is on overdrive like 24/7, you think it would be cool but you're trying to concentrate and your brain just makes an entire world and says, hey let's play now.

(Sorry I didn't respond sooner I was doing homework!) Thank you, I really appreciate it since I always have outlines for things but it takes way longer for me to fill out the details.(Since I'm so picky about how I want things to go) Constant imagination does sound like a hassle, I can't imagine how you put up with that. 

Archived