Does your sex affect your gender?

binary suns

gender and sex  

71 members have voted

1. 1. by which of the following do you most identify by?

• cis
    • trans
    • nonbinary
    • you could call me by one of these labels, but I don't really identify by that label ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • not sure / something else
  2. 2. is other people's sex relevant to you in any way?

• yes definitely
    • sorta / maybe / sometimes / a small amount
    • no not really
    • unsure / other
  3. 3. is other people's gender relevant to you in some way?

• yes definitely
    • sorta / maybe / sometimes / a small amount
    • no not really
    • unsure / other
  4. 4. do you feel that your sex is an important part of who you are?

• yes - important
    • relevant, but not important
    • unimportant and irrelevant.
    • not sure / other
  5. 5. do you feel your gender is important to who you are?

• yes, it is important
    • relevant, but not important
    • unimportant and irrelevant.
    • I don't really have "a gender" I am without gender identity.
    • not sure / other
  6. 6. do your sex and your gender allign?

• yup
    • mostly
    • sorta / in a way
    • sometimes
    • I don't identify my gender
    • nope, not really / not at all.
  7. 7. Do you feel that you gender "builds off" of your sex in some way?

• yes, in a good way
    • yes, but it's not so great
    • no / not really
    • unsure / other

This poll is closed to new votes

"sex" is by the definition: either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and many other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions.

and "gender" is by the definition: the state of being male or female [or NB] (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

I apologize if any of the questions are confusing or anything.

That last question is hard, because my sex determined which type of problems I would face with my gender, but not that I would face issues.

I mean, if I was born male I would still be agender and I would face issues, but they wouldn't be the same issues.

My body would be less sexualized, for example. That would be good. But I'm sure I'd get some horrible other problem back for that trade-off.

1. by which of the following do you most identify by?

Cis

2. is other people's sex relevant to you in any way?

No, not really

3. is other people's gender relevant to you in some way?

No, not really

4. do you feel that your sex is an important part of who you are?

Unimportant unless you count my PCOS, which affects my life and only exists in people who have ovaries

5. do you feel your gender is important to who you are?

Unimportant? I guess? I mean I'm insulted when I get called sir and I'm pretty feminine but I don't know that being female is important to who I am as a person

6. do your sex and your gender allign?

Yeah

7. Do you feel that you gender "builds off" of your sex in some way?

I don't understand what this question means

my responses to the poll -

Both gender and sex of other people is relevant to me - both because I look to be more feminine, and look to others for that purpose - but also because I somewhat prefer female confidants, advisors, doctors, etc. idk.

oh, also, I'm more attracted to feminine folk, regarding my orientation.

my own gender - I don't really want it to be a big deal, but since my gender and sex do not align, for now in my life my gender IS a big deal.

I feel that my sex does in fact greatly influence my gender, in the regards of how my gender is perceived - as well as in how my youth was lived as a male person, and that's greatly affected my life. some negative ways, but some positive ways too. mostly I am frustrated by my sex right now. hopefully with time I will find resolution to that frustration. in a way also, my sex is the trigger of my disphoria ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I don't think that actually counts as "affecting my gender" so much as it affects my sense of worthiness. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

German language doesn't differentiate between 'sex' and 'gender', so I find it difficult to get a natural grasp of the concept. I guess my gene coctail would make up my personality, so maybe it's related to my sex, but I couldn't give two shits. It is what it is.

swirl_of_blue

My sex makes it difficult to me to express what I feel I am: a being of at the same time both male and female and yet neither of them. It is difficult to express my feminine side, because I know that everyone else would see that just as me conforming to my biological sex, and I do not want to be seen as female. So I have to reject a part of me so that it would not in other people's eyes be of too much weight. I suspect that if I had been born biologically male I would have the same problem but with expressing masculinity. In regards to other people's sex and gender I do not care much, and in my head I don't even think of people as gendered. I might, for example, in my head think "she's a strong person/human being/individual", not "she's a strong woman". My native language also lacks gendered pronouns, so there really isn't a lot of difference in how I refer to people whatever their sex or gender might be.

@float on Can you explain the last question? I'm not sure I understand it.

5 minutes ago, Graveful said:

@float on Can you explain the last question? I'm not sure I understand it.

uh, I don't really understand it either :redface:

the reason it is there is so that - some cis people feel might feel that their gender is exactly because of their sex. and, some trans/NB folk feel hindered by their sex.

but beyond that, it is open to interpretation. if it doesn't make sense, than I would say the answer "no not really" or "unsure other" are either fine answers. or whatever. it's interpretive IMO.

I probably could've asked it better but IDK...

Just now, float on said:

uh, I don't really understand it either :redface:

the reason it is there is so that - some cis people feel might feel that their gender is exactly because of their sex. but beyond that, it is open to interpretation. if it doesn't make sense, than I would say the answer "no not really" or "unsure other" are either fine answers. or whatever. it's interpretive IMO.

Oh, okay! Then I answered appropriately. (I said I was unsure.)

For the last question, I said "other" because my gender doesn't exactly "build off of" my sex so much as cause me to have a lot of issues with my sex. It's like, rather than building from a foundation, I'm trying to destroy the foundation that is there to clear the way for something else.

I think that sex and gender are unimportant to who I am on a theoretical level. I wish that society would just ignore sex and gender and treat everyone the same. However, sex and gender have greatly influenced how I am treated by society.  These past experiences influenced by my sex and gender have had huge influence on shaping who I am today.  I couldn't figure out how to answer those questions. 

1. by which of the following do you most identify by?

nonbinary

2. is other people's sex relevant to you in any way?

no not really

3. is other people's gender relevant to you in some way?

In some ways, yes. Gender isn't a bad thing - it's a part of who people are and sometimes we want to be recognized for our different traits and identities. Gender is important to some people and I can respect that.

4. do you feel that your sex is an important part of who you are?

Only that it determines how people treat me and how I was raised, which I'm sure has shaped my personality somehow. But otherwise, no, no part of my body is an important part of who I am and I don't like being associated with it.

5. do you feel your gender is important to who you are?

A little. It's certainly part of my identity but it's not all that I am.

6. do your sex and your gender allign?

nope, not really / not at all.

7. Do you feel that you gender "builds off" of your sex in some way?

I said yes, but it's not so great. I feel like I'm rejecting some things about my sex and I have dysphoria, so my gender has some things to do with that. You could say that my gender is slightly inversely building off of my sex.

• 1 year later...

@Ashes of the phoenix

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived