NHS going to take note of sexual orientation!

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Did anyone else think 'fantastic!' when the news broke today about the NHS GP surgeries being told they must ask the sexual orientation of their patients now? It might sound like an intrusion, but it could be another way too raise visibility, as it seems to be lacking around doctors and therapists, if people's experiences on some of the threads here are to be taken into account!

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Oh, I'm not much of a forum explorer, never knew it was there. Just wondering what the older Aces might think, as we didn't have a 'label' for ourselves until recently and lived most of our lives not knowing about asexuality. That might colour older folks' ideas .

Unless they include asexual as one of the options, I see it as yet another humiliation we are exposed to. Whenever the only option is "other", I prefer to refuse the information. And given that according to the Equality Act 2010 asexuality is not even a sexual orientation, I really don't see why I should identify as something else.

That’s all well an good butwill they be including Asexuality in that?

Im in the process of creating a resource for healthcare professionals to make Gynaecology more inclusive for LGBT community. 

What has it got to do with the NHS what my orientation is? Why do they need the information? What are they going to do with it and, more importantly, with whom are they going to share it? Does it matter if I'm going with an ingrowing toenail? Talk about Big Brother.

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

So glad someone made a topic about this. I heard it on the news this morning. Although they only mentioned straight, gay and bisexual I hope they have other options and people don't have to say if they don't want to.

THe piece I read said that 'Refusal to say' would be classed 'Z' and we will be asked every time we visit any medical practitioner. What are they going to do if we continue refusing? Place us on 'special measures'?

Can't they just give us a dotted line to write on? It's so much easier than having us have to figure out what box to tick.

I think they mean we'll, but it's not been thought through properly. It's not like asking an AFAB person if their sexually active because some medical procedures are contra-indicated during pregnancy. I very much doubt an healthcare practitioner will ditch precautions against fluid transfers just because someone says they're asexual so won't have SDT's. 

I don't feel like giving my doctor an explanation of what asexuality is!  At the same time I hate it when people just presume I am hetrosexual by default.  It will be better if there is a written form to fill in and option not to say without being constantly pestered about it.

Life would be easier and so much harder if we all just had little name tags with our preferred pronouns, names, and identities on them to make it so people don't have to ask. 

On 10/17/2017 at 0:00 AM, chandrakirti said:

If I come upon a questionnaire about my sexuality I proudly draw a box and write 'asexual' in it!:D

Never seen a form with that on .. but if i did I'd be the same.. I've got the asexuality flag on my email signature

They are not inclucing asexual, the NHS. I've come across an asexual tick box once when I was applying for a job. I think that's why I got the interview, for them to have a look at what an asexual looks like :-)

3 hours ago, Acing It said:

I've come across an asexual tick box once when I was applying for a job. I think that's why I got the interview, for them to have a look at what an asexual looks like :-)

If I ever got that opportunity I would have to wear heels and something clingy just to screw with them. 😈

12 hours ago, borkfork said:

If I ever got that opportunity I would have to wear heels and something clingy just to screw with them. 😈

Don't forget to flirt with them at the same time :D

From what I can gather, this decision follows a campaign lead by a Manchester based LGBT group (note just the four letters) demanding inclusivity for their members, and some bureaucrats thought "this is quick, CHEAP, way to show that we embrace inclusion, a.k.a tokenism 

pegasusoftraken

The government has been increasing the amount of equality data it collects since the equality act came in, so that it can do research about where inequalities are in society. I presume this is part of that, and the NHS will be using it to know more about what health issues affect different groups more, so that it knows where to target funding etc. 

26 minutes ago, pegasusoftraken said:

The government has been increasing the amount of equality data it collects since the equality act came in, so that it can do research about where inequalities are in society. I presume this is part of that, and the NHS will be using it to know more about what health issues affect different groups more, so that it knows where to target funding etc. 

They would soon find out something strange if they were to include asexual in their categories: asexual =/= STIs :-)

There are parts of the health service that have already been doing this for years (esp in mental health). Part of the commissioning arrangements are that you have to be able to show the % of clients from a whole range of different groups and protected characteristic is roughly the same as the % of the local population from those groups or with those characteristics - and if they're not, be able to say why you think this might be and what you're trying to do to change it. 

I previously worked for one of the Uks largest employers, now I'm single, never married, no dependants, and asexual, even now, their application forms don't have single or asexual as options on them, nor do they have options for others in these categories, I checked their application form out as they're always bragging about being an equal employer, if they don't cater for us, I very much doubt that the NHS are going to have anything related to asexual people on their forms, we're going to be classed as other, realistically speaking, why do they need to know anyway?

On 10/22/2017 at 4:35 AM, borkfork said:

Don't forget the glamorous makeup! ;) 

(I still can't get my head round to why some think asexual females don't use makeup... <_<)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Just filled out a government form online and ticked 'other' followed by filling in the blank box underneath with 'aromantic asexual', so at least there's the chance to be counted somehow. It wasn't just looking for 'other', so , someday....if enough of us come forward there'll be no 'other and various other boxes instead.

well done but I would have put just asexual. The other is a romantic orientation and they asked for sexual orientation no doubt.

I'm doing the same.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 21/10/2017 at 11:27 PM, Acing It said:

They are not inclucing asexual, the NHS. I've come across an asexual tick box once when I was applying for a job. I think that's why I got the interview, for them to have a look at what an asexual looks like :-)

@Acing It, I can commiserate with the fact you got an interview on that basis alone. 

15 hours ago, Acing It said:

well done but I would have put just asexual. The other is a romantic orientation and they asked for sexual orientation no doubt.

I'm doing the same.

Haha! I want to leave them in no doubt! I've had enough of that 'I can turn you with romantic gestures' thing from my youth (in fact there was an episode of that from someone in 2010. It was a nightmare).

Archived