Older ace woman but ya know, in my day nobody was Ace...

RobinWren

You probably know that in the 50s and 60s when i was young, the idea that a person could be lacking in sexual attraction was simply not a permissible thought. Of course homosexuality was a sin and an illness back then too, so what hope did i have of being understood, let alone of understanding myself? None, given my background...so instead i became a serious captive of psychiatry and its incredibly brutal ministrations for some 40+ years. Despite being a three-time author and an artist, i am proudest of the fact that i managed by dint of will and determination to leave that terrible past behind...at least as much as has been humanly possible. 

Now for some other nicer things. I love cake! Cannot eat it, alas, but i love it, all kinds, so i eat it with my eyes!!

I also love poetry, and write it more or less professionally, i guess you would say, since my two books produce royalties, yes!! I love art, art, art! Love cats, esp the feline of my heart, Beanie Baby, and i love walking anywhere. Adore making things from anything else...like scrounging up odds and ends and repurposing them into better stuff! I love meeting people who share my loves and want to learn more. I love learning and probably i would love you! Asexually of course because the one interest in this world that has always escaped me entirely is an interest in sexual activity. That said, as an artist, i would probably love your body, whatever it is and with every single flaw, and i probably would want to draw or paint you, because to me each and every body is beautiful, just not sexy! I guess you’d say (i’m new to this lingo) bodies are beautifully asexy to me. 

And with that intro, i will cease and desist. By the way, my avatar is a bust i am very fond of that i made of papier mache, early in my very late career as an artist (long story, but i did not discover my ability to do art until i was 55) . That sculpture is called The African Queen of Visions. The last thing i want to say is, i have lived alone all my life and really want to meet Aces in Vermont and some day find someone to share a home or living situation with.

Okay! Ttfn and stay safe and be well. 

Hello, and welcome! I like hearing older asexuals' stories; I feel it's an important part of asexuals'/ asexuality's history and is also important for sexual people to know that this isn't just a recent fad amongst young asexuals that can simply be fixed by losing their virginity or trying to participate in more sexual acts, that some older people already went through years of trying that, and it didn't work.

I  have definitely tried to fit in, lost my virginity to someone who insisted sex was what life was all about...Yeah, sure! But i quickly lost all interest in him!

Anyhow rape came next when the men I was interested in platonically did not take NO for an answer...You understand that problem I am sure. Then a same sex foray because people convinced me I had to be gay!!! And that went over no better...

Anyhow thanks for your comment. It never occurred to me that  people thought young asexuals were new at this, or that anyone thinks this is a new development in sexuality. Far from it...It is only that we are now given more choices in this world to be who and what we are!

You're welcome. Yes; there are other young asexuals on here who mentioned that they're currently, or used to be, pressured by their partners who either don't/didn't believe asexuality exists or that it can be "cured" if they just continue trying to have sex with them. I hope reading about your, and other older asexuals' experiences helps them. 

It's good to meet ya!  We will definitely have to chat about crafts sometime.  I have a background in Theater and I love props.  Turning old broken down things into new interesting things is one of my favorite things to do.  

And as I have always felt one good ice cream cake deserves another, let's see if I can figure out how to add pictures. :)

Image result for ice cream cake

Welcome and have some cake. :) We're happy to have you. 

My background is still convinced that people like me are deserving of psychiatric attention, but I am grateful for the internet and communities like this that connect me to people who understand me. 

Thanks Isibell, for the eye-catching delish cake!  And yes, i want to hear more about what you do in terms of crafts!!! 

Stheg, i was that way too. For years and years i thought psychiatry could help me, even fhat it *was* helping me, at the very same time as it brutalized me both mentally and physically. But now i understand that i was just part of a machine that cranked patients into the hospital then spit them out into the System only to eat them back into the hospital again when it needed money, all the while blaming the patient. Well, it was a load of horse patooties, if you know what i mean, but maybe you dont. All i can say is the hospitals were horrendous and  they ought to be stopped even now from doing what they do...but i should not talk about this, it is too traumatic for me and too destructive for those who are not there yet.

Sorry...i am not known to withhold my opinions!

Anyhow, i would not change my life, none of my 64 years now...despite the suffering. If it did not make me a better person, then nothing could have.

peace

Wow, you have such a unique and interesting experience! Welcome, and thanks for sharing! Many of us really are so lucky to be so young and live in such an enlightened time. I feel like even I discovered my asexuality too late in my life, and I'm only twenty three. Love and cake for you! :cake:

exps957_TH143195C09_04_4b.jpg

That's an interesting insight...I always had the impression that the past was a more prudish time and that sexual awakening has been proportional to the passing of the years, but that could be a discrepancy between Britain and America, or just a stereotype! It's nice to think acceptance of asexuality is getting better.

I love musical instruments made from old parts...that being said, I can't remember how to upload pictures :huh:

Welcome! Nowadays more and more psychiatrists are becoming aware of asexuality, I've even seen some people be told they might be asexual but their psychologists :0 I've even come across someone whose not asexual and had no asexual friends and yet was fully knowledgable on the topic! 

Anyways, it's great to hear how happy and creative you sound, why not try going to a meet up, maybe even a parade. You could even make some asexual art that could be used as banners or even sold.

artdeco.JPG

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Image result for delectable cake

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
10 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Hello, and welcome! I like hearing older asexuals' stories; I feel it's an important part of asexuals'/ asexuality's history and is also important for sexual people to know that this isn't just a recent fad amongst young asexuals that can simply be fixed by losing their virginity or trying to participate in more sexual acts, that some older people already went through years of trying that, and it didn't work.

So true! Age doesn't really matter at all but just to find your own way in this life someday. It's never too late :D So yeah..lots of cake and welcome greetings to you!

Pack1_welcome%20cake.jpg

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
4 hours ago, Lichley said:

Welcome! Nowadays more and more psychiatrists are becoming aware of asexuality, I've even seen some people be told they might be asexual but their psychologists :0 I've even come across someone whose not asexual and had no asexual friends and yet was fully knowledgable on the topic! 

Anyways, it's great to hear how happy and creative you sound, why not try going to a meet up, maybe even a parade. You could even make some asexual art that could be used as banners or even sold.

artdeco.JPG

Such a nice chocie again! I really love your taste :P

Such wonderful welcoming cakes! I want to eat them all! And not just with my eyes!!! Yum YUM YUM!!!! Thank you all for the kind words! I have read as much as I could (with the severe double vision that plagues me)  of the manuals and forum guide and looked through the meet-ups forum, but cannot find much up to date at all about anyone or anything going on in my neck of the woods in Southeastern Vermont. I cannot legally drive due to my vision problems so getting to the upper part of the state is difficult at best...Nevertheless, I just KNOW I am not the only older Ace in Bratt...(By the way, I happen to be quite young at heart -- having taken Peter Pan's advice to heart and never grown up --  so if you are not particularly prejudiced against us seniors, and live in the area, let me know, why don't you? 8)flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

Why not try asking if people live near you at the meet up mart and arrange to hang out together?

Sorta shy about it..Lichley, but I suppose I will have to. Thanks for the encouragement.

25-game-of-thrones-theme-designer-cakes-

Hello! Welcome to AVEN.

Your ava is pretty. I envy you I learnt to paper mache in high school but never got the hang of it. I hope you'll read around and have fun here.

Welcome to the forums! Would it help if the cake is gluten free? 

AMAZING-1-Bowl-Chocolate-Cake-with-Cocon

At any rate, fellow Ace in VT, hoping all is well.

Hi JMichael,  fellow vermonter! no i love cake, with or without gluten, but the problem is the carbs, as i am on the ketogenic diet to avoid seizures and migraines, both...alas! But the picture is worth —almost — the eating of it, and with an active imagination i can imagine tasting it! Thanks for the welcome in any event. Where in Vermont are you located? Ever make it to the south eastern corner, where us bratties live? Cheers, robinwren

On 10/21/2017 at 5:36 PM, RobinWren said:

Hi JMichael,  fellow vermonter! no i love cake, with or without gluten, but the problem is the carbs, as i am on the ketogenic diet to avoid seizures and migraines, both...alas! But the picture is worth —almost — the eating of it, and with an active imagination i can imagine tasting it! Thanks for the welcome in any event. Where in Vermont are you located? Ever make it to the south eastern corner, where us bratties live? Cheers, robinwren

Robin,

I'm in Rutland, don't get down to Brattleboro that often, but it doesn't mean I couldn't. It's been tough finding connections for support and conversation.

Welcome RobinWren, I thought what you wrote is beautiful and I'm so sorry to hear you have suffered in the past.

I tried to add a picture of cake but it went wrong so please imagine I am sending you a glorious heavenly cake! 😂

On 21/10/2017 at 10:36 PM, RobinWren said:

Hey I am a fellow keto Disciple mainly to avoid the highs and lows havoc carbs played with my blood sugar! All solved now

If fancy a sweet keto friendly treat try these they are delicious 

https://ketosource.co.uk/product/keto-bars/

I used them for the London to Brighton cycle ride as a handy snack 

Not sure if these are keto friendly but worth looking in to

http://www.sweetlife.com.au/sugar-free-recipes/

Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...
torayashachan
On 10/21/2017 at 5:36 PM, RobinWren said:

I'm a Vermonter too!!!

Archived