Really bad representation in Spanish sitcom

Rynn

I thought maybe people would want to take action on this. My Spanish isn't good enough, but I imagine people will want to send some sort of letter to the writers to tell them this isn't okay. I checked out the Spanish language forums, but it's not very active, so I decided to post here.

The sitcom portrays asexuality as some kind of weird abstinence cult full of sexually frustrated old people. One of the main characters of the show decides to join this cult because he's sick of dating women (ew women, annoying creatures) and goes to a bunch of really weird meetups. The last meetup ends up in an orgy only the president of the club doesn't participate in, because he has a micropenis.

Yeah so, it's horrible, and I just wanted to bring it to people's attention, so people who speak better Spanish than I do can retaliate/educate.

A Spanish asexual YouTuber made a video about this, so yeah, credit where credit is due. She also summarized the episode.

Spoiler

The presenter makes the point that the series made fun of homosexuality and transgender issues in the past, and now they were taking a jab at asexuality.

So, to start of, the series is not interested in presenting accurate depictions of anything.

They are more interested in mocking people, and ideas, that are different to the current "machista" ideal.

She also mentions that it is an example of what she called "Spanish Humor" (Humor from Spain), which she categorizes sort of like 'dirty joke'  humor.

She also makes the point that they present asexuality in misogynistic terms, "Sex bad = Women bad," which (this running gag of picking on women) she says is a running theme in the series.

Of course, all that asexual people need is a good (insert profanity here) to be "normal."

She further says it is low brow humor, but it bothers her how popular this type of series is.

This misrepresentation isn't an accident, it's by design.

@argar

Yeah, I know she said that. I understand Spanish well enough, I just don't think my skills are good enough to do some actual official letter-writing. 

None of that makes what the show did okay though. It doesn't mean we can't do anything about it. 

A proper spanish letter isn't going to do anything. The company will just laugh and throw it out.

If this is the normal for the culture, this will continue. Something more proactive has to be accomplished, like educating LGBT and making people think with their brains. They attack homosexuality and transgender too, right? They won't think twice to come after ace.

Humor like this is shallow and invalid, in my opinion. The audience that it markets to is what has to be changed, not the show itself.

Baikal Balkash

Here is the post from ACEs (Asexual Community España) -asexual association from Spain- complaining about that episode. 

https://www.asexual.es/la-se-me-avecina/

Let's hope these things are exceptions. 

the duchess starla

reminds me of how people would talk about me behind my back in high school......

Archived