Am I bi-romantic still?

Staley

Hello

So I'm going to start off quickly by saying that I realized a little while back that I'm bi-romantic. This is all good, but something else has come up. I don't know if this is even related, but feedback would be nice.

So, a little while ago my friend introduced me to a friend of his who is super androgynous. In really every way. I have no idea about what their birth sex or gender is (Not that that matters), but thing is that I've begun to develop romantic interest in them. It's like emotionally I don't care and it feels right, but on an intellectual level, I'm an over-analyzer. Anyway, I don't know what this means so if you can offer any insight that would be lovely.

Thank you 

Staley

If you're biromantic as in attracted to both masculine and feminine people, and this person is both masculine and feminine, then it makes sense- like a biromantic person being attracted to a bigender person? 

It comes down to the whole pan/bi debate.

Sorry the bi/pan debate frustrates me to no end, so I typed some things that don't sound very nice, but please know that my frustration is not aimed at you, alright?

Proceed with caution haha.

People use different definitions of bi and pan.

Currently a lot of people are saying that being bi means "I am attracted to people of my gender, and to people of other genders, see? Ha! That's two groups! So I'm still bi!"

and then they say being pan means being genderblind, and start going on a (in my opinion condescending) rant about how they're attracted to people's personalities, not their genitals, as if that's not the case for people who aren't 'genderblind'. You know, 'hearts not parts' rhetoric. 

In their world there is no word for people who are only attracted to masculine people and feminine people, and not to the people in between.

Other people still use the old definitions of bi meaning 'attracted to two genders' (which technically doesn't have to be male and female, could be any two genders) and pan meaning 'attracted to all genders'.

I like the second set of definitions better, because I feel like the first set is kind of a cop-out. I think when you're really attracted to people of all genders (which to me just means people who have feminine, masculine or androgynous gender expressions, because in reality you're attracted to people's gender expressions, not their gender identities), but you identify as bi, that just means you didn't feel like explaining the word 'pan' to people, and you didn't feel like making the political statement that 'hey, non-binary and gender-nonconforming people exist, and I can be attracted to them.' 

I mean, it's perfectly fine not to want to open that can of worms all the time, but at least be honest about that.

Personally I'm sick of this entire debate and I've decided to use bi and pan interchangeably. I'm both. The way I see it, pan falls under the bi+ umbrella. I'll identify as bi when I don't want to have to explain stuff, and I'll identify as pan when I feel more up for it. 

SamwiseLovesLife
35 minutes ago, Laurann said:

Personally I'm sick of this entire debate and I've decided to use bi and pan interchangeably. I'm both. The way I see it, pan falls under the bi+ umbrella. I'll identify as bi when I don't want to have to explain stuff, and I'll identify as pan when I feel more up for it. 

^ I second this. Yeah you're definately Bi-romo if this label works for you. You could also be pan-romo, skolio-romo or queer-romo. None of that really matters tbh, if you identify as Bi then stick with it unless you find a label that serves you better :)

Archived