Will we ever run out of questions to ask?

A shard of glass

A shard of glass

I was wondering earlier... "What happens when every possible topic is discussed on Aven... What will be posted as a new thread?"

This lead me to think a little harder about the world outside of Aven... And the question "Will we ever run out of questions to ask?"

The idea that we will eventually discover everything that there is to discover frightens me, but it also intrigues me. And I also ask myself the question: "How much is there to know?"

If there's a limit of information to know, how long will it take us to know absolutely everything? That being said, how much information would change about what we know now?

So many questions, such limited space to type D:

But personally, I believe that there is a limit to the knowledge that there is out there, I'm a bit of a pessimist like that.

Let me know what you all think :D

Honestly, at this point I think there are infinitely many unique, potential topics that could be discussed on AVEN. 

"I feel asexual, but when I'm eating a PB&J sandwich I stare at the jelly and I feel a little more on the questioning side, but if there's more peanut butter than jelly I suddenly have squishes that morph into a 60% 40% split between platonic and romantic feelings when a piece of the peanut butter drops to the floor. If a fly lands on the sandwich I make a new one and I contemplate this stuff all over again. Is there a word for this? There's totally a word for this, right?"

(I'm only kidding: but it comes from a place of love)

I feel like we'll never know everything, and not just because the human race will die out before we can - I flat-out think we're incapable of doing it even if we were given unlimited time. There will always be questions: it may seem like we've accomplished a lot and we're nearing the end, but I bet there were many saying that physics, for example, was fully figured out pre-Einstein, and QM and general relativity blew all that classical shit out of the water. There are probably problems/topics so beyond our reach we don't even know the questions exist in the first place, let alone what the answer to those questions are. 

Scientists have a pretty good gig. I don't think there's a single scientific discipline where everything has been fully figured out, since the answers just create new questions. 

I think, if we're really lucky, we'll have a decent general model of how shit works before we go extinct, but there will be a lot of things unknown, unsolved, or not quite fully refined. 

NerotheReaper

Sorry I have to do a Mean Girls reference now

Spoiler

tumblr_mbiashHktn1qc0yog.gif

Okay, okay on a serious note now. 

I don't think there will be a point when every possible question will be answered. This because everyone here is very different, we all come from different backgrounds, different beliefs, different pasts we are all unique so questions may seem the same at times, but they all come from different people. Everyone is searching for something, people ask questions here to gain knowledge and understanding. People who ask if they are asexual, that may seem like a very common question but the thing is everyone has their own reasons and own experiences that drive them to ask the question. For some questions that are less personal, the same logic applies. Humans only understand a small percentage of the world around us, we don't even know everything about our own ocean! People just have to be open to questioning things, and learning about the world around them. And then, and only then does the amount of questions that can be asked can be limitless. 

It's a wide wonderful universe and there's lots to explore! And always more questions to ask the more you know. :D

Just look at all the new discoveries in space in the last few decades - exoplanets in the thousands, dark matter, dark energy, exploring Pluto and Charon and the various moons and planets and asteroids and comets and Kuiper Belt objects. Even here on this one little world we all live on there are still plenty of new things to discover and explore. And new questions that arise out of new research and all.

Nope, I don't think we will run out of questions (on AVEN or in general). :)

I dunno, will we? :P 

What is a question?

Why am I questioning a question? 

What's a new word for question?

How was the question mark invented?

Can I marry my studio?

Do I get tax benefits if I file my dog as a dependant?

What if past lives are just future lives in alternate universes?

Do I need to pee more if I eat more watermelon?

Why is infinity an 8 on its side?

If I have a squish on someone named squishy is it a squishy squish?

Why did my parents go to a wedding without cake?

If time is an illusion are time paradoxes still possible?

Why do emojis not have noses?

Does Voldemort smell with his tongue?

How many meters is the deepest point in the atlantic?

Why am I questioning my sexuality?

What happens if I'm attracted to the letter A?

Where did grammar come from?

Why is my teacher bald?

Why do my guinea pigs like parsely but not cilantro?

Is it possible to use farts as propulsion in space?

Where do social standards come from?

Why are brains so random?

What is life?

Why do people forget to flush?

Why can't magenta be on the ace flag?

Why do people have favorite colors?

Is it possible to make spaghetti out of squash?

Why does toilet paper have patterns?

Why doesn't spiderman shoot webs out of his butt?

Why are poop jokes funny?

What if you're in a different multiverse but we share internet connection?

Where did puns originate?

What mental function causes/does not cause sexual attraction?

Why do technical difficulties occur?

Why is the sky not green during late afternoon?

What if extraterrestrials can withstand temperatures earth life can't and we're looking at the wrong planets?

What if there are senses that humans do not have that could answer all these questions?

Why are genitals located between the legs?

What idiot invented autocorrect?

What if the most complex equation ever yields the answer 42?

Why am I asexual if my birth date is 6/9? 

Do you like waffles with jam or syrup?

Do we NEED to question the universe?

Why am I being cursed at by backpacking vikings?

What time is it on the International space station?

Can robots poop?

Who invented cake?

Do aliens have music?

Questions are more infinite than answers ;)

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

There's no limit because knowlegde and discovery are unlimited on itself as a neverending dynamic process. It just goes hand-in-hand.

Well, to the first question, "What happens when every possible topic is discussed on Aven... What will be posted as a new thread?", old topics will be brought back up, lots of people have the same questions but won't look through hundreds of posts to find the answer (understandably, because who would), so questions will just be re-asked, secondly, there's always new things happening in the world, and with new thing happening new things can be asked/questioned... 
I don't believe there's a limit to knowledge, maybe there's a limit to knowledge in the universe at any given point in time, but as time goes on things change and with change new knowledge is created... but I don't think humans could ever understand, know or find out everything there is in the universe or even just the world, so, there's no realistic reason, I believe, to fear that we'll ever know everything..

Well, seeing as we'll never answer "how do you define asexulity" definitively we will always have questions :P:P

26 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Well, seeing as we'll never answer "how do you define asexulity" definitively we will always have questions :P:P

Ah, but some of us HAVE.  It's just that some others don't agree with us.  

I've lived long enough to know you can never know everything - there's always something new to learn or something to do for the first time (because inventive folk are always thinking up new things :) ) and always remember there are the things we don't know we don't know so can't ask the question :lol: 

darkwinterbird
16 hours ago, XYZ96 said:

Well, to the first question, "What happens when every possible topic is discussed on Aven... What will be posted as a new thread?" 

Well, I still have a lot of questions about 'Twin Peaks'...  What the heck does it all mean...

Lotta_Biscotti
On 10/8/2017 at 8:03 PM, Baggage_warrior said:

I was wondering earlier... "What happens when every possible topic is discussed on Aven... What will be posted as a new thread?"

This lead me to think a little harder about the world outside of Aven... And the question "Will we ever run out of questions to ask?"

The idea that we will eventually discover everything that there is to discover frightens me, but it also intrigues me. And I also ask myself the question: "How much is there to know?"

If there's a limit of information to know, how long will it take us to know absolutely everything? That being said, how much information would change about what we know now?

So many questions, such limited space to type D:

But personally, I believe that there is a limit to the knowledge that there is out there, I'm a bit of a pessimist like that.

Let me know what you all think :D

The thing I really think here is that we won't run out of questions... partly because of reposts, partly because changes are always happening in which we acquire new things to think and ask about. You may have a die with 50,000 sides, but it could take-- quite a long time, if ever-- for the die to land on all of them at least once. Certainly longer than in a lifetime, I would expect, by any modern measure.

the nearly limitless potential of all human knowledge is at your figertips right now. help me figure out what is the best picture of a cat.

RoseGoesToYale

Once during senior year of high school, I somehow got panicked about my ability to learn getting just cut off, like a hard drive running out of space or something. So I ran to my psych teacher and asked her if there's a cutoff point for knowledge. She said nope, you can pretty much keep stuffing things in there [brain] as long as you want. As long as the human brain exists, with its complete uniqueness from another brain, there will always be new ideas and new questions to ask. Even as long as toddlers exist, we will always have questions.

Archived