You guys worried about what's in the LGBT news?

Comrade F&F

I sometimes check the news specifically aimed toward LGBT topics, and...sheesh. There's more bad than good. Aces can 'kind of' skirt around the topic since no one ever bats an eye at us, but we're still part of LGBT, since we're just not following the societal norms.

Does all the violence and naysaying in the recent media make you personally worried?

TheSmokingSkellie

Welcome to a world where we still have people flinging non-straight people off of rooftops. 

As for me being worried, if I was living in my birth country I'd be downright terrified. 

weijiangling

It's hard not to be worried, honestly. I wish I could keep up with the news better to be more activist, but when I was actively trying it was kind of bad for my mental health. I just try to keep an ear out for really big things that show up in my social networks... which involve a lot of different kinds of LGBT folks, so I do generally hear news if it's major enough. Other than that I just try to be supportive when people need it, since I can do that much. It's worrying, but focusing on being worried is sort of counterproductive.

[edit] To clarify, I live in a cool neighborhood where there's a lot of open-minded and non-conforming people, so I don't have to worry too much about myself, even though I'm a few varieties of non-normal with regard to gender and sexuality. Some of my friends elsewhere have it rougher.

*Nods* The latest trends definetly worry me in regards to the safety of LGBT people, especially the amoisity i notice alot lately coming from news articles, tv programmes and so on. I tend to think there still is a long way to go for us to be accepted by the majority of the people in maybe not our enviroment only but also troughout the world. Honestly, i'd be absolutly terrified if i'd live in certain countrys where they find it normal to prosecute LGBT people in various ways. I'm glad i live in my country for that reason alone, although i sense difficulties i still feel that it's probaly the safest place to live in comparison to other countries where LGBT people fear for their lives.

swirl_of_blue

The situation in many other countries certainly makes me worried, but luckily the situation in my home country is very good. But worldwide I feel like we're at a situation where the balance can tip to either side and things could get either much better or start sliding backwards. And that's terrifying: the society should be advancing in tolerance, not regressing towards intolerance!

I don't actively check up on LGBT news as I feel I'm not LGBT+ despite being LGBT+ (in a non denial way. Sorta felt no big differnce between thinking I was hetro to discovering I am ace) but I don't like seeing anti lgbt+ stuff though and sickened when I see anti lgbt+ stuff in the news.

Diamond Ace of Hearts

Worried for my safety? No. I can pass for straight. Worried for my LGBT+ friends? Not imminently. The UK isn't perfect but mostly it's an OK place to be "different" but I do feel concern about the future. The rise of fascist and neo-Nazi sentiment in Western countries poses an existential threat to a lot of people, including the LGBT+ community, if it's allowed to go too far. If it goes to the fullest extreme then even "passing" aces will be in trouble but we're a hell of a long way from that stage right now. So I'm not worried but I'm keeping a close eye on things.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
3 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

I sometimes check the news specifically aimed toward LGBT topics, and...sheesh. There's more bad than good. Aces can 'kind of' skirt around the topic since no one ever bats an eye at us, but we're still part of LGBT, since we're just not following the societal norms.

Does all the violence and naysaying in the recent media make you personally worried?

Yes but since there' nothing you can do about it (in terms of freeing/saving the whole world at once) I only try to focus on my nearby social surroundings, while staying up-to-date on international GLBT+ news. It's hard not be overwhelmed but all these negative issues everywhere :/

On a local scale people are generally tolerant-but if any hate comes up it personally bothers me because of LGBT friends.

On a global scale, we can't fix it all at once but if people actually raise activism and stand up to violence then maybe it'll improve with time.

WinterWanderer

I live in an area that's toeing the line between tolerance and intolerance. There are plenty of people and businesses who are very much accepting of LGBT+ people. But they are eclipsed by many more conservatives who are not at all accepting. And that hasn't caused many problems so far, but I'm concerned that some major event could escalate their hatred in the future. The local government hasn't been very helpful, either. Some representatives are accepting, but most are outspokenly against LGBT+ groups. 

Personally, I am not worried about my own safety. People think I'm straight. But I do sometimes worry about violence at local pride events and such. So far nothing has happened here.

Media in general has a tendency to shift toward "bad" topics, because that plain and simple just gets more clicks. 

It's actually the internet that leaves me more worried ( specifically think Youtube comments, anonymous social media, etc.) because it reflects people's private opinions, and a lot of them are not pretty. Generally, the nastiness seems to be shrinking, but it has resurgences. It's like a damped sine wave - further we move, the more things are generally getting better, but there are still events that act as setbacks. 

I'm not particularly concerned for my safety, but I think it'd be foolish to assume that everything's perfectly okay. 

WinterWanderer
2 hours ago, Mermaidy said:

what specifically is everyone referring to?

Hate crimes and discrimination, I think.

3 hours ago, Fioryn said:

I live in an area that's toeing the line between tolerance and intolerance. There are plenty of people and businesses who are very much accepting of LGBT+ people. But they are eclipsed by many more conservatives who are not at all accepting. And that hasn't caused many problems so far, but I'm concerned that some major event could escalate their hatred in the future. The local government hasn't been very helpful, either. Some representatives are accepting, but most are outspokenly against LGBT+ groups. 

Same situation for my area as well, so there's really not much for me to say. For the most part, there is tolerance, but in the workplace (specifically in professions) It's not very pretty to even try. One could be openly a part of the community and treated somewhat equally, but there are still those who get away with remarks and harassment.

I'm always constantly on my toes about my safety. I'm not publicly out, and choose to keep it that way. A select few of friends do know and are accepting. The immediate family knows too but they are not tolerable at all. I would try to be a little more public about myself, but there have been more than of plenty red flags to not even bother, The only times where I will be in serious trouble is if I tell the truth about my gender, and do not correct my body mannerism. So corresponding with the gender binary, and in some cases, stereotypes, is painfully required.

time traveller jedi

*nods* 

The wave of hate and intolerance happening around the world worries me. Some people are fighting to have the world we had decades ago, which was anything but a safe place for the minorities. 

In my country, conservatism is growing stronger, and I am worried, because we have elections next year. On LGBT+ related matters, coversion therapy has just been legalized a few weeks ago. I'm not so worried about myself, since in my actual conditions I can pretend I'm straight, but I worry about my lbgt+ friends (and for the ones in the community who can't pass for straight so easily, actually)

😥

It's 2017, I should worry about the rights of whales in Japan, not about basic human rights... 

I think there is good reason to be concerned, more so in some places than others. At the same time I feel (and hope) it is just a backlash and the general trend will be for the better. It's the people who are desperately trying to cling to some time when they thought they had it better than they do now (whether they actually did or not). 

It always makes me think of this quote from Mahatma Gandhi

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.

I think it applies to things like bad social ideas as well. I mean anything that goes against things like fairness and justice and compassion and human rights. In the long run things get better (because people work for things getting better and because each generation tends to advance at least a bit), in my opinion (maybe I'm just an optimist). :) 

arekathevampyre

yeah I do read LGBT news on buzzfeed and I agree with @Feys&Florets that there is more bad news than good . It can be pretty upsetting sometimes as I am an avid supporter of LGBT+ rights (okay and human rights too) especially when reading news of young people being killed etc . The world is s****ed . 

2 hours ago, time traveller jedi said:

On LGBT+ related matters, coversion therapy has just been legalized a few weeks ago.

This is scary . 

With the recent outcomes of the German election, a lot of people seem to think that things are becoming "worse" in Germany. Yet, certain members of minorities, have been quick to point out that Germany has always suffered an issue with bigotry, and that for a lot of us, these results are only surprising because we aren't confronted with people's prejudices toward e.g. people of color as a part of our daily life. It's probably similar with LGBT. The bigoted people were always there, only now that they're seeking an outlet for their real problems (increasing poverty etc.), this is becoming more apparent.

People should also look at it from a different angle. Countries like Germany have been one of the few countries (wordlwide) where it is actually allowed to be gay etc. 

Things that worry me in my own country:

The trans discrimination protection being denied 

Us being one of 13 countries voting to not ban the death penalty for being gay...

On 10/6/2017 at 3:42 PM, ThaHoward said:

People should also look at it from a different angle. Countries like Germany have been one of the few countries (wordlwide) where it is actually allowed to be gay etc. 

Other places having it worse doesn't posit that we ignore the problems in our current society. Frankly I shouldn't have to be "thankful" that I'm not being thrown off a building in the first place.

On topic, I don't even know anymore. I'm just trying to live.

1 hour ago, ChillaKilla said:

Other places having it worse doesn't posit that we ignore the problems in our current society. Frankly I shouldn't have to be "thankful" that I'm not being thrown off a building in the first place.

Society's generosity and commitment to equality knows no bounds. Why, we haven't even been tossed off buildings yet!

1 hour ago, Skelegon said:

Society's generosity and commitment to equality knows no bounds. Why, we haven't even been tossed off buildings yet!

I know, right? Heck, today I only received 1, that's right, only 1 confused/nasty look as I walked down the street! Truly we are in a golden age of tolerance and coexistence.

Archived