New Project Team member needed: Director of Social Media: Nominations

Kelly

We are now taking nominations for a PT member in for the office of Director of Social Media.

The Project Team is in charge of visibility projects on AVEN. For more information about what the Project Team does, please see this link:

http://avenpt.tumblr.com/projectteam

Possible Project Team activities include:

- dealing with AVEN's media and research requests,

- managing resources,

- giving help to others with their visibility projects.

All PT positions have a duration of 2 years. If anyone steps down in that time, a new election will be held and the replacement will have a new term of 2 years.

The office that we are presently in need of is:

Director of Social Media (Online media coordinator)

Responsibilities: The primary responsibilities of this role are to promote visibility and education projects on online media such as Tumblr and Facebook. This includes reblogging mainstream media requests and local visibility events, promoting campaigns, and sometimes posting researchers' calls for participants. This person should engage with the wider online community on discussions relating to asexuality and AVEN, and supporting the media contact's work as and when needed.

Requirements: This person should be familiar with how to use Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook and have a feel for their social dynamics.

If you think that you would be an awesome AVEN Project Team Member, please throw you hat, turnip, whatever, in here.

Please make sure to specify which position you are running for, and be aware that you can't run for more than one position at the same time.

To run, a person must have been a member for at least 6 months, and have at least 100 posts that are not in the Just For Fun or Welcome Area forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning. The eligibility criteria for PT are precisely the same as that for an Admod. A bio is required by voting time. Election rules are here:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

You can run for only one office at a time.

Voting will be by a vote of confidence.

This is the timeline for this election:

Thursday, 5 October to Thursday, 12 October: Nominations.

Thursday, 12 October to Sunday, 15 October: Dedicated Q&A period.

Sunday, 15 October to Sunday, 22 October: Voting.

Hmm... How professional must a social media director be? Would "u dont care bout sex? Wanna join the i-dont-care-bout-sex gang? chastity belt not required" be an acceptable thing to tweet? Could a facebook group be made to object to all instances of sexual material in media? Also, could posts be made in the format below? 

DLTxQ1yV4AAMjhj?format=jpg

I encourage people to run for PT. Social media is a very important part of building a community and maintaining a dialogue, so this is a great way to get involved. :cake::cake:

Although I'm stepping down because of how busy my life is right now, I'd also highly recommend people consider to run. I really enjoyed this position a lot and you can see more and interact with the asexual community outside of AVEN. If anyone has any questions, please feel more than welcome to ask. :)

On 10/5/2017 at 5:08 PM, kaysir said:

Hmm... How professional must a social media director be? Would "u dont care bout sex? Wanna join the i-dont-care-bout-sex gang? chastity belt not required" be an acceptable thing to tweet? Could a facebook group be made to object to all instances of sexual material in media? Also, could posts be made in the format below? 

DLTxQ1yV4AAMjhj?format=jpg

In my opinion, I think it would depend on which social media platform, since there may be a slightly different audience. Some people just use Facebook, or Tumblr, or Twitter, though some do use 2 or more, and they seem to like different things. For example, an observation that @CosineTheCat, another former Director of Social Media, made is how on FB, people tend to really like articles related to asexuality and not so much on Tumblr; yet on Tumblr, they really like the research requests by which isn't as acknowledged by FB. Different audience may like/prefer different things compared to the other. Though twitter does appreciate some memes sometimes. Hope that answered your question well.

Are there other members of this team that do the same thing or will it just be this one person?

Also, do we have/should we make an Instagram?

On 06/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, Jayce said:

Ohhh! Pink is a pretty color i have yet to try out :ph34r: 

*Puts this on my to think about list*

Good luck to all who will run :cake: 

I'm keeping an eye out for a declass opening. But it's tempting...

16 hours ago, Mioav said:

I'm keeping an eye out for a declass opening. But it's tempting...

Oh, you might have misunderstood me! I said i’m putting this on my things to think about list, not that i’m actually going to run ^_^ i’m still trying to decide if i should or shouldn’t.

You can run in this current DT election if you want to :) 

17 hours ago, ryan_ said:

Are there other members of this team that do the same thing or will it just be this one person?

You don’t need to make an instagram if you wanna run for PT but it’s good to be fammilliar with social media as this is the main requirement of this position :) 

2 hours ago, ryan_ said:

There is a social media team (which btw, I plan on still being a part of and still help some way). Though this position is basically in charge.

We don't, but you could if you wanted to, I don't see why not. Probably talk with the rest of PT and/or social media team for pulling it more through. We also have google plus, but nobody really uses it. :'D Most people are on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr.

After long (as in multiple hours of) consideration, I dip my big toe into the candidate pool. Let us pray these hands of mine will convince the masses of my own goodness and that of our community. :cake:

scarletlatitude

Heads up to all --- we will have the winner of this election join the AVENues team so that you can post new AVENues issues for us. ;) You are welcome to participate in AVENues in other ways too, if you are so inclined. But we really need the PT for social media to know about our new issues so that they can be shared, which is best done by joining our group. 

On 10/7/2017 at 9:15 AM, SpoopyWorld said:

Although I'm stepping down because of how busy my life is right now, I'd also highly recommend people consider to run. I really enjoyed this position a lot and you can see more and interact with the asexual community outside of AVEN. If anyone has any questions, please feel more than welcome to ask. :)

In my opinion, I think it would depend on which social media platform, since there may be a slightly different audience. Some people just use Facebook, or Tumblr, or Twitter, though some do use 2 or more, and they seem to like different things. For example, an observation that @CosineTheCat, another former Director of Social Media, made is how on FB, people tend to really like articles related to asexuality and not so much on Tumblr; yet on Tumblr, they really like the research requests by which isn't as acknowledged by FB. Different audience may like/prefer different things compared to the other. Though twitter does appreciate some memes sometimes. Hope that answered your question well.

This also being said that if someone else wins (which I'm completely okay with) I will still probably help you with the position. I know the ins and outs of this position on the social media side and volunteer as a helper on it because the other PT side of it can be a lot more work. 

Maybe on second thought... I much more enjoy the volunteer aspect of it than the PT side of it xD So, my grand total of 14 minutes ago brash thought of going to be part of the PT again. I look forward to working with the winner of the election! 

I'm not running now xD

Good luck to everyone who decides to run!

On 10/6/2017 at 2:26 AM, Jayce said:

Ohhh! Pink is a pretty color i have yet to try out :ph34r: 

*Puts this on my to think about list*

Good luck to all who will run :cake: 

XD Jayce, are you trying to collect all of the colors? :P

8 hours ago, CosineTheCat said:

I'm not running now xD

Ah man! And i was just like :o COSINE IS RUNNING! :P 

5 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

XD Jayce, are you trying to collect all of the colors? :P

:lol: ikr? Pink is one of my all time favourite colors XD 

10 hours ago, Jayce said:

Ah man! And i was just like :o COSINE IS RUNNING! :P 

:lol: ikr? Pink is one of my all time favourite colors XD 

I still hold to lead for all colours. With the exception of orange and blue. But! I'm also a trainer... therefore, amazingerly :P 

18 hours ago, kaysir said:

If I don't win either, I'd love to be a helper! Mad respect for Cosine and Honey!

tbh, it's really not that exciting xD It's looking at logistics of posting on social media and seeing what people like where. Tumblr like things such as research requests and actual research papers, and god forbid, on tumblr do not post anything without crediting someone for it. Facebook is your casual viewers. They like everything, there I like posting news articles, images I find that people might like, petitions to do certain things (last one was a petition to add Asexuality into the Merrian-Webster dictionary), editorials, etc. Twitter, I rarely post on because it seems rather fleeting to do so, a lot of times it's more of links to research request (less than so many words right?), Google +.... yeah, we have one, Do you? 

Yeah, about Twitter, I'd have to seriously summarize something (an announcement or research question, etc.) in a sentence or two and use google url shortener to link for more info. It's definitelty possible though, but can sometimes be challenging because I didn't want to leave out important information.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:04 PM, ryan_ said:

*tosses in block of cheese*

On 10/8/2017 at 11:05 PM, kaysir said:

After long (as in multiple hours of) consideration, I dip my big toe into the candidate pool. Let us pray these hands of mine will convince the masses of my own goodness and that of our community. :cake:

20 hours ago, CosineTheCat said:

You know what, *throws in my roommate's cat into the ring*. 

I'm running. 

Yay!!! So many awesome candidates! I'm excited :D Good luck to every one of you.

20 hours ago, CosineTheCat said:

I'm not running now xD

*dejectedly puts away one set of pom poms* Dang. I respect that, but you got me all excited :P

2 hours ago, SpoopyWorld said:

Yeah, about Twitter, I'd have to seriously summarize something (an announcement or research question, etc.) in a sentence or two and use google url shortener to link for more info. It's definitelty possible though, but can sometimes be challenging because I didn't want to leave out important information.

I love it sometimes, it's like "ARE YOU XYZ? DO YOU WANT ABC? LOOK AT THIS RESEARCH: link"  And that's all you get xD

I you do not follow AVEN's twitter, this is kind of what it looks like

5aba2e35a6.png

Honestly, if you're interested in the statistics on the Facebook page (the thing we're most well known for on social media) just ask. I have data sheets that explain the growth rate since when I was SMD and all through Honey's reign as well. I love the Facebook page and treat it like my baby quite a bit. ;) If you're interested in Tumblr... it's a little more difficult to get that data, but it is there too. 

49a9590b6a.png

6 hours ago, That Scary Black Cat said:

I love it sometimes, it's like "ARE YOU XYZ? DO YOU WANT ABC? LOOK AT THIS RESEARCH: link"  And that's all you get xD

I never realized how much it sounds like one of those commercials on the radio. :'D 

Archived