Digital Spy - Riverdale star Cole Sprouse addresses asexual Jughead possibility in season 2

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/riverdale/news/a837391/riverdale-season-2-cole-sprouse-jughead-asexual-controversy-bughead-betty/

6 Sept 2017

Spoiler

Strap in, because our new favourite TV obsession Riverdale's second season is a mere month away, which feels slightly ridiculous since we're all still feeling a little bit 'emotional' after the season one finale earlier this year.

*sob* Fred Andrews *sob*

But before the new season hits our screen, Jughead Jones (aka Cole Sprouse) has addressed a concern that has beleaguered a fair amount of Archie Comics fans. Namely, will Jughead be asexual in the show?

In the newer series of Archie Comics, it is revealed that Jughead is asexual and whilst a lot of 'Bughead' shippers are probably still dancing for joy over THAT steamy season finale scene between Jughead and Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart), there remains a large group of fans who are eager to see this aspect of the character bought into the show in the future.

Cole has previously stated that he is "fighting pretty heavily" to get Jughead's sexual identity recognised.

Speaking to Teen Vogue, he said: "This kind of representation is rare and severely important to people who resonate with it. That demands representation. It would be a wonderful thing if that were the case."

And now, in a Reddit Q&A on Tuesday (September 5), Cole has promised that he is still just as invested as fans are in seeing asexuality represented on screen. After one user asked if Cole could add or tease anything related to Jughead's sexuality in season two, Cole replied:

"Of course, I haven't stopped the dialogue. I'm sure I'm quite the pest. Can't spoil too much unfortunately, but this topic was one of the first I discussed with [Riverdalecreator] Roberto before this season started."

So it seems Cole is just as passionate as ever about having the chance to portray that aspect of the character. And if his choice of the word "spoil" is anything to go by, could this mean that we're getting a deeper dive into Jughead's sexual identity next season?

Cole continued: "I'm also of the mind that our show's discussion of such content needs to be done with tact, so that the group in question doesn't feel betrayed by some half-hearted attempt to make it feel honest.

"As I've said in the past, we need to shoot these questions towards the creative team too[.] Every voice counts in this conversation."

So, if you want to see asexual Jughead in the future, it's time to start spamming the show's creators.

And whilst you're bothering them, can you also ask them what's going to happen to Fred Andrews? Because we really need to know

Riverdale season 2 returns to Netflix in the UK on Thursday, October 12.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m really tired of seeing this article rewritten saying the same thing. Cole Sprouse isn’t worrying about this at all. He has no influence on how his character is written. He is not some A-list actor with any influence. These articles are basically queer bait to keep asexual people watching and waiting. 

I was once hyped for this, but I'm not holding my breath. If it happens, it happens, but sometimes it just feels like they're baiting people to appear progressive or the like... To be honest, I watch the show. It is very intriguing - there's mystery & drama & murder, but I wouldn't put the show or its actors on a pedestal.

Hermit Advocate

Until I see something on this site saying that Jughead is confirmed asexual on the show, I'm not going to watch it. I was never into the Archie comics and the only reason I would start watching it is if they do make him ace. It doesn't hold that much appeal to me as a tv show on it's own.

Archived