Asexual Awareness Week

The_Reluctant_Dragon

The_Reluctant_Dragon

Asexual Awareness Week is starting on Sunday, October 22nd and ending on Saturday, October 28th. Is anyone excited for this event? (I am.) And, what are you going to do during that week? (I have to go to school that week, sadly, but I will be watching BoJack Horseman.) 

Oh I didn't even realize, thanks for the reminder!

I don't know if I'll do anything ace-related. We'll see.

I had no idea about it but i'm pretty sure i'll be doing nothing special. I might eat some cake tho :cake:

Lucy in the sky

Why not, I might consider dropping some subtle hints all around :P

Well my lab coat has the most convenient inner pocket to stash my pride flag, so that's great. I'll probably discreetly post a bunch of pancake pictures on FB and maybe do a bulletin board on Ace Awareness Week for the multicultural club.

patronusmagic

I´m coming out on facebook, with this picture:

Bildresultat för embrace who you are ace

scarletlatitude

Moving to Musings and Rantings

scarletlatitude

World Watch mod

7 hours ago, patronusmagic said:

Yes!!!! This is what I want to do! Only some of my friends know about my ace-ness and I kinda want it to just be out there! Plus I'm hoping to go to Calgary for an Ace meet up! :)

AncientAmateur
On 10/2/2017 at 6:48 AM, patronusmagic said:

On 10/2/2017 at 1:52 PM, Telperion said:

Yes!!!! This is what I want to do! Only some of my friends know about my ace-ness and I kinda want it to just be out there! Plus I'm hoping to go to Calgary for an Ace meet up! :)

I very tempted to do this too, but I feel like a decent number of my Facebook friends wouldn't understand it & just think its some motivational thing about loving yourself as you are

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming out on Facebook with this:

HeyEveryone-Large.png

Seriously though, I hope that my black spinel ring gets to me soon. I plan to wear it... always :)

a minor triad

What do people usually do for this event?

42 minutes ago, Lanti SF said:

I'm not coming out, but I did a bulletin board post about asexuality for next week. https://twitter.com/LantiSpitfire/status/920713943164817409

Great job! I especially like your Venn diagram.

It is worth noting the concept of asexuality is far older than the Kinsey scale. X was just a sort of throw away category anyway. One can only imagine what would've happened if the Institute of Sexual Research were able to continue their work.

Cool, I didn't know that asexuality was explicitly mentioned before Kinsey. I'll have to remember that for my next poster.

I am going to school and painting my nails with the colors of the asexual pride flag. I just got the right colors for it and everything... I always wear my ace ring so there's that, I suppose.

RoseGoesToYale

I'm glad I didn't miss it! Hmm... I have perler pin I made of the AVEN triangle, so I could wear that all week. I still have a deck and a half of ace bicycle cards from the last time. Maybe I'll start sticking them everywhere.

6 hours ago, Lanti SF said:

Cool, I didn't know that asexuality was explicitly mentioned before Kinsey. I'll have to remember that for my next poster.

Kinsey measured behavior. So a man who had had sex in prison with another man would count as having had homosexual experience. He and his team didn't ask about what people want. That's not measurable. The questions were designed to sound as non-judgmental as possible and minimize opportunities to lie.

Along with asexuals, group X could [theoretically] include: those incapable of sex, those who hadn't had sex YET, those who had taken a vow of celibacy, etc. Additionally, an asexual person can still have sexual "reaction" depending on how it is defined. Many asexuals were probably forced to marry anyway to ensure their livelihoods. Few would have been lucky enough to find each other or a lavender marriage.

There's a possibility that I'll give a presentation to the local high school's GSA. They still have to discuss it before they ask me to. My parent's their advisor, and she said she was thinking about bringing it up. I'm the only ace she knows, and they try to do something for awareness weeks/days. If they don't give me much time beforehand, I'm afraid I'll mess it up. I could probably easily talk about it for hours...I don't know. It'll be the first time I did something like this.

I'll probably change my profile pics in numerous places. I might work more on the ace media list I started a while ago. Maybe I'll have filled up enough sometime during the week to post it in places. 

The Gnat (Natalie)
7 hours ago, anzu2snow said:

There's a possibility that I'll give a presentation to the local high school's GSA. They still have to discuss it before they ask me to. My parent's their advisor, and she said she was thinking about bringing it up. I'm the only ace she knows, and they try to do something for awareness weeks/days. If they don't give me much time beforehand, I'm afraid I'll mess it up. I could probably easily talk about it for hours...I don't know. It'll be the first time I did something like this.

I'll probably change my profile pics in numerous places. I might work more on the ace media list I started a while ago. Maybe I'll have filled up enough sometime during the week to post it in places. 

That's fantastic! I'm sure you'll do great, and just remember that you know more about the topic than most/all of your audience. They're all there to learn something new--not judge you on being perfect :) <3

The Gnat (Natalie)

I'm definitely going to wear my ace ring and be on the lookout for any others I can spot. Plus, I get to see my family and eat birthday cake this weekend :)

On 10/19/2017 at 1:47 AM, Starfiery said:

I am going to school and painting my nails with the colors of the asexual pride flag. I just got the right colors for it and everything...

I'll do the same. Also, I put "Happy Asexual Awareness Week 2017" in my WhatsApp status, so I'm really curious about the reactions I'll get on Monday. :D

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 22.10.2017 at 3:22 PM, Tintenfeder said:

I'll do the same. Also, I put "Happy Asexual Awareness Week 2017" in my WhatsApp status, so I'm really curious about the reactions I'll get on Monday. :D

Hey, that sounds like a pretty cool idea indeed! Might do the same eventually aside from wearing my cute little ace pride cakes , shirt or badge :D

dsc_0694.jpg

support_the_community_by_ryan_wright-db4

I will wear asexuality-related stuff on Tuesday (this shirt and a black, white, and purple flannel) for the diversity club and maybe mention it, but I think that's it.

Archived