What age did you discover you were asexual?

Apersonontheinternet

1 hour ago, OakTree said:

I found the term "asexuality", and the description clicked with me instantly. It was a massive weight off my shoulders, as I wasn't broken, and it was totally okay to feel like this. That was almost 2.5 years ago, and I'm still very happy with the asexual label, it still describes me very well.

I guess you could say that's how I felt too.

I guess when I really think about it I should have noticed it when I was 13. It's pretty obvious looking back on it. But I didn't start piecing the puzzle together until I was 24. Figured it out last June at 25.

To be honest, 13 was when I found out non straight and other than gay sexualities. So officially around March maybe?? I just got out of a relationship which I ended and kind of went, what is wrong with me and here I am

14 when I first heard about asexuality (through various online sources). But only really started feeling comfortable/accepting of my asexuality this year (at age 16)

Interesting reading all the responses...so cool to see the wide range of ages and how people discovered their asexuality. 

For me, I didn't hear of the word until I had had my first relationship end at 18ish, that's when I started looking around the web to see if it was normal to not care about sex, and I found the term for asexuality. 

As soon as I started researching it it clicked for me and I identified as ace soon after, but I remember signs of asexuality and aromanticism all the way back to my childhood, before I knew what it even was. I remember as a kid and even young teen I would get upset whenever someone would say "when you get married someday" and i would insist I wasn't getting married. I also remember not understanding why my friends wanted to kiss or date boys, assuming it was only because they wanted to look cool. I never dated during school and rolled my eyes at my friend's relationships. 

One of the most blatant signs of me being on the aro spectrum- I remember one day in class this girl I barely knew who sat near me pulled out her phone, And within seconds she started crying. Me and another girl asked her what was wrong, and she said her boyfriend broke up with her via text just then, and then she started crying about how she loved him and she felt like her heart was ripped out. 

I remember it was an odd experience, because while I felt sorry for her and was sad she was crying...I couldn't understand her sadness. In my mind I was thinking, "why is she sad? She's free now. No more needing to date!" 

...the whole experience made me feel like an alien weirdo, but looking back I probably should have known something was up! 

1 hour ago, SilentRose said:

Interesting reading all the responses...so cool to see the wide range of ages and how people discovered their asexuality. 

For me, I didn't hear of the word until I had had my first relationship end at 18ish, that's when I started looking around the web to see if it was normal to not care about sex, and I found the term for asexuality. 

As soon as I started researching it it clicked for me and I identified as ace soon after, but I remember signs of asexuality and aromanticism all the way back to my childhood, before I knew what it even was. I remember as a kid and even young teen I would get upset whenever someone would say "when you get married someday" and i would insist I wasn't getting married. I also remember not understanding why my friends wanted to kiss or date boys, assuming it was only because they wanted to look cool. I never dated during school and rolled my eyes at my friend's relationships. 

One of the most blatant signs of me being on the aro spectrum- I remember one day in class this girl I barely knew who sat near me pulled out her phone, And within seconds she started crying. Me and another girl asked her what was wrong, and she said her boyfriend broke up with her via text just then, and then she started crying about how she loved him and she felt like her heart was ripped out. 

I remember it was an odd experience, because while I felt sorry for her and was sad she was crying...I couldn't understand her sadness. In my mind I was thinking, "why is she sad? She's free now. No more needing to date!" 

...the whole experience made me feel like an alien weirdo, but looking back I probably should have known something was up! 

Ahaha about the breaking up, to be honest I understand but it's not the like cliche heart clenches in sympathy, it's just man he's an ass for doing that, you shouldn't cry over him.

I got out of a relationship last year and was kind of concerned that I wasn't overly upset about ending it, so I don't even know but I found asexuality and aromanticism and bam, one year later.

I knew what asexual meant ever since I was 10.

Was a very intelligent child back than.

Archived