are sirens asexual?

binary suns

so, "sirens" seduce wayfarers to come towards them. but, instead of delivering sex, they torture/kill/eat/plunder/etc etc their victims.

so, not to speak specifically to any of similar such tropes, but in general -

is a fantasy demon/human/monster/etc who seduces their victims with irresistible calls that arouse their victim's sexuality on purpose, but never have sex with their victims, asexual?

heh...

I don't know but I can't not post this here, it's just too perfect:

1Yqq62M.jpg

Click it a couple of times to make it larger and legible :) 

Diamond Ace of Hearts

Um... No?

Whatever reasons sirens have for doing what they do, they aren't asexual just because they prioritise whatever that thing is over sex. Depending on your lore, sirens are probably a separate species from humans anyway. Not wanting sex with a different species doesn't make you asexual.

I think that second comic share shares what I mean perfectly. they seduce from afar, but no one actually lives to tell the tale of what actually happens when you get up to them. Why do they have to be hypersexual just because that's the way they bait their trap? makes more sense that they wouldn't care to have sex, they're there to devour you .

I suppose it is true that they do reproduce in some way tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  guess they just don't have sex when they siren call, but sometime otherwise.

but the underlying point still remains. it's actually quite presumptuous to claim that a siren f's her victims. she probably actually doesn't.

everywhere and nowhere

Wow, I haven't known "Minority Monsters" and they are great! But it's on Pinterest, I don't have an account there and so I can't enlarge or even scroll anything... Is it on any other site too?

8 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Wow, I haven't known "Minority Monsters" and they are great! But it's on Pinterest, I don't have an account there and so I can't enlarge or even scroll anything... Is it on any other site too?

I don't really follow it either, I only knew the asexual succubus one and then I clicked recommended stuff.

Google comes up with this though: http://www.discordcomics.com/minoritymonsters/

WinterWanderer

It's hard to tell their orientation without knowing more about them. Maybe they're lesbian. Or maybe they're straight and we just don't know based on the stories alone.

It is kind of cool to think of sirens being ace. :P But then that makes it sound like aces exploit other people's sexual attraction to get what they want.

But guys, sirens didn't originally have any sexual connotations to them. Originally, the song they sang was of knowledge and truth about the world that would be impossible for anyone who heard it to resist. There is only three or five of them, I can't remember. But they were all female so who really knows what their sexuality could possibly be, but asexual seems most probable.

As for them being sexualized, it happened during the 19th century mostly. Since sex was repressed in society and sirens sing an irresistible song to men who hear it, it must be sexual right? The phrase "siren song" ended up being closely linked to the temptation for sex and it has soiled the image of sirens ever since.

Diamond Ace of Hearts
1 hour ago, float on said:

I think that second comic share shares what I mean perfectly. they seduce from afar, but no one actually lives to tell the tale of what actually happens when you get up to them. Why do they have to be hypersexual just because that's the way they bait their trap? makes more sense that they wouldn't care to have sex, they're there to devour you .

I suppose it is true that they do reproduce in some way tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  guess they just don't have sex when they siren call, but sometime otherwise.

but the underlying point still remains. it's actually quite presumptuous to claim that a siren f's her victims. she probably actually doesn't.

Who said they were hypersexual? I said they are probably not asexual, there's  a world of difference.

Diamond Ace of Hearts
1 hour ago, Fioryn said:

It's hard to tell their orientation without knowing more about them. Maybe they're lesbian. Or maybe they're straight and we just don't know based on the stories alone.

yeah, that^

Diamond Ace of Hearts
31 minutes ago, ShyFeather said:

But guys, sirens didn't originally have any sexual connotations to them. Originally, the song they sang was of knowledge and truth about the world that would be impossible for anyone who heard it to resist. There is only three or five of them, I can't remember. But they were all female so who really knows what their sexuality could possibly be, but asexual seems most probable.

As for them being sexualized, it happened during the 19th century mostly. Since sex was repressed in society and sirens sing an irresistible song to men who hear it, it must be sexual right? The phrase "siren song" ended up being closely linked to the temptation for sex and it has soiled the image of sirens ever since.

Also, this^

1 hour ago, ShyFeather said:

Where did you hear this?

It used to be just their voices - not necessarily what they said - that allured and, ultimately, seduced travellers (which could potentially be taken in a non-sexual way but was still likely interpreted sexually by people of the time), and only sometime later did they become physically alluring as well. Well before the 19th century were they considered temptresses, and not purely in a non-sexual way. Granted, the explicit sexualisation was probably a result of Christian influences, but that too was well before the 19th century, as far as I'm aware.

That said, it's often difficult if not impossible to get a clearly defined picture of what exactly a certain mythical figure is and is not, since they were invented and re-invented so many times.

To respond to the title question, though, I think that, like with most fabled non-human beings, it makes little sense to ponder these questions if it's something within their 'nature'. If a siren is simply of such a nature that 'she' seduces people but doesn't have sex, then we might be able to call them 'asexual' (relative to humans) but since it would be simply how sirens are, and there would and likely could not be a sexual siren, it's not a very telling descriptor.

Also, as they all take female forms, we can say nothing of how and if they even reproduce, and if sexuality has any part in it in the first place.

2 hours ago, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

Who said they were hypersexual? I said they are probably not asexual, there's  a world of difference.

people outside of aven heavily implied it. about a specific "siren type" character. not an actual siren tho but an original-lore temptress.

Like a lot of mythological creatures, there are many different versions of sirens. In some stories, it seems they're not actually trying to lure in sailors, it just happens to be a side effect of their singing. There are also stories that mention rotting corpses implying they don't eat the sailors. 

On 9/27/2017 at 8:58 AM, float on said:

so, "sirens" seduce wayfarers to come towards them. but, instead of delivering sex, they torture/kill/eat/plunder/etc etc 

just sounds like a bitch to me 

• 2 weeks later...

No, I don't think they are asexual, because they rely on seduction.

Are griffins sexual? Are trolls sexual? Are titans sexual? They are neither sexual nor asexual, they don't exist. If you want to picture them as sexual, do that. If you want to picture them as asexual, do that. 

A mere monkey

Well, they do not exist, so it is left to your imagination or whatever the writer wants to do with them.

Archived