Black ring

theperksofbeing

I've had a few silicone black rings. They were good for me because I have swollen fingers and the silicone is stretchy.
The rings are mainly sold by sports outlets as a way to replace your wedding ring while engaging in sports.
Because of this, they have a safety feature - a deliberate weak area on the ring which breaks if it gets caught on anything.
This means that they break within a month or two.
I like the tip in this thread about using black nail varnish on a plain ring.

Before I knew about the asexual ring or even asexuality in general, I made myself a simple black wire ring with a small black bead because I love the color black. I've been making jewelry with my mom since I was in fourth grade, but we never really used wire for much before, at least in the ways necessary to ring-making. It's my first and only attempt at rings, and it's not awful but it was kinda a pain to make with the tools we had, so I basically just made something for myself to test out the process. When I saw how annoying they were to make, we didn't really continue making them. Since it's for myself and I'm not too picky about jewelry I don't care that it's a little on the sloppy side (you can't really tell in the pic, but it is a bit messily done and scratches me occasionally because of it).

When I found out that a black ring was a symbol for asexuality, I dug this baby out and started wearing it again. I made it a few years ago and now it's a bit small for my middle finger, so I wear it on my ring finger and it barely fits that one. The black coating is also slightly chipped in some parts from wear and tear. I'd like to make a newer one that fits better once I find the right materials again (our supplies are not organized at all and we haven't even done wire stuff in a while so it's hard to tell where it could be). It's not exactly what most people picture when they think of an asexual ring, but it's my own interpretation and I'm not going to spend money when I have the ability to make one like this. :D

Anyway, here's a link to a picture that I think should work properly: https://imgur.com/4Q0Gj87 

I just got my ring! I'm not used to rings so I wanted something small, but I have a very light skin so it's still clearly visible. It's beautiful (I love black) and I like it very much :D 

Spoiler

05acabb64adc607f591b8387ffa49aff.jpg

• Like 1

I got a black hematite ring from ebay *points to profile picture*. I took ages trying to figure out the sizing, but it arrived yesterday and it fits well. It also feels lovely and comfortable, which seems an odd thing to say. I read hematite is also a good stone for focusing energy, concentration and getting rid of negativity so I think as an IT person, it would be good for that too. Still haven't plucked up the courage to wear it though. I'm scared someone will know what it is (i'm very shy, I get the same way wearing t-shirts related to TV shows as I don't want anyone to notice and know what i'm into) but realistically, i'm sure people will just see it as a ring. I don't wear jewellery much, I buy it but then my mother always points out "oh, you're wearing a ring" in a tone that makes me take the thing off so I only wear jewellery when on holidays. Anyway, i'm rambling. But yes, I really like my new ring and I hope I can get to the point where I wear it daily and with pride.

I'm slightly concerned about a post on here about a hematite ring breaking? I thought it was made of sturdy stuff. I hope if a ring breaks it doesn't do too much damage to the finger underneath...

knittinghistorian
On 9/26/2017 at 0:30 PM, Julian of Norwich said:

And then there was this girl in Taizé who was wearing an ace ring (black rings are a thing with Christians, too) and I was like "I used to have a ring like that and I even wore it on the right middle finger like you".

What is the Christian-black ring connection?  I hadn't heard of that.

I've been trying to buy myself a black ace ring, but alas they don't fit me. They're either too wide or too small for my middle finger. :( So jelly of you guys :(

Perilous Poozer
6 hours ago, checkerboard said:

I got a black hematite ring from ebay *points to profile picture*. I took ages trying to figure out the sizing, but it arrived yesterday and it fits well. It also feels lovely and comfortable, which seems an odd thing to say. I read hematite is also a good stone for focusing energy, concentration and getting rid of negativity so I think as an IT person, it would be good for that too. Still haven't plucked up the courage to wear it though. I'm scared someone will know what it is (i'm very shy, I get the same way wearing t-shirts related to TV shows as I don't want anyone to notice and know what i'm into) but realistically, i'm sure people will just see it as a ring. I don't wear jewellery much, I buy it but then my mother always points out "oh, you're wearing a ring" in a tone that makes me take the thing off so I only wear jewellery when on holidays. Anyway, i'm rambling. But yes, I really like my new ring and I hope I can get to the point where I wear it daily and with pride.

I'm slightly concerned about a post on here about a hematite ring breaking? I thought it was made of sturdy stuff. I hope if a ring breaks it doesn't do too much damage to the finger underneath...

Hematite is an ore, it’s very hard but it’s very brittle. Beautiful though! My ring cut my finger when it broke, but nothing major.

6 hours ago, CirrusClouds said:

I've been trying to buy myself a black ace ring, but alas they don't fit me. They're either too wide or too small for my middle finger. :( So jelly of you guys :(

Why not try this website? www.wish.com

High Quality rings for cheap prices.

You can size your ring corectly. FYI, I'm a Size 10 on my middle finger. ;)

• Like 1
Perilous Poozer

It does get tricky though if you’re dealing with international sizing (have just ordered my third one ‘cos there are two different size conversion charts out there 🙃)

On 9/26/2017 at 7:20 AM, Lucy in the sky said:

@theperksofbeing You won't believe it, but I actually did exactly the same thing! :lol: I painted a ring from Avril Lavigne's perfume bottle Forbidden Rose :P

I don't wear it every day, I should do it more often though. :) I also don't really look at other people much to notice if anyone at my college has a black ring, but I would certainly be intrigued if I saw that they do.

okay this has absolutely nothing to do with this topic at all but I came across you and I just wanted to say I love your display name

• Like 1

I have numerous ace rings, and I will usually wear one less as a sign to others, and more as a sign to myself to make me feel more sure of myself, and as some thing on my hands to allow me to fidget with when I'm nervous. As for where I get mine I've been 3D printing mine just for fun for the last few months since I got a cheap 3D printer, and also since they are custom, they fit my odd sized middle finger significantly better. If you have access to a 3D printer I would highly recommend it, also if you don't have black filament a can of black spray paint, and lacquer does wonders. Before that, I had a steel one I bought at a local flea market as they let me try different ones on until I found one that fit.

TLDR: Personally, I wear one because I have no reason not to. 3D printing is cool. Flea markets rock too.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, untrACEable_bAROsaur said:

I have numerous ace rings, and I will usually wear one less as a sign to others, and more as a sign to myself to make me feel more sure of myself, and as some thing on my hands to allow me to fidget with when I'm nervous. As for where I get mine I've been 3D printing mine just for fun for the last few months since I got a cheap 3D printer, and also since they are custom, they fit my odd sized middle finger significantly better. If you have access to a 3D printer I would highly recommend it, also if you don't have black filament a can of black spray paint, and lacquer does wonders. Before that, I had a steel one I bought at a local flea market as they let me try different ones on until I found one that fit.

TLDR: Personally, I wear one because I have no reason not to. 3D printing is cool. Flea markets rock too.

Wow, 3d printing a ring sounds really cool. I'ver never actually seen a 3D printer in action. 

My hematite one I think is mainly for me to look at and remind myself that there are others like me and I am not alone, I am okay. I spent ages trying to figure out what size to buy and it seemed to fit perfectly when it arrived a few days ago, but i've tried it on a few times today and it seems a bit tight at the knuckle. Fingers get warm and things though, I just don't want to risk it getting stuck on me so I haven't permanently worn it yet. Maybe I will give it a go tomorrow then try to wear it to work without silly paranoia creeping in.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, checkerboard said:

Wow, 3d printing a ring sounds really cool. I'ver never actually seen a 3D printer in action. 

My hematite one I think is mainly for me to look at and remind myself that there are others like me and I am not alone, I am okay. I spent ages trying to figure out what size to buy and it seemed to fit perfectly when it arrived a few days ago, but i've tried it on a few times today and it seems a bit tight at the knuckle. Fingers get warm and things though, I just don't want to risk it getting stuck on me so I haven't permanently worn it yet. Maybe I will give it a go tomorrow then try to wear it to work without silly paranoia creeping in.

1) I would have attached a video of mine working, but I couldn't find one at the moment... :(

2) Yeah me too, When I started wearing one it freaked me out so much, but after a while it hit me that no one else knew, or cared about it. I've never had anyone ask me about, and I've been wearing one for about a year now. I only take it off when I visit my parents ( they don't know and they never will ), but otherwise I never really feel the need to take it off, I mean I can't take off my asexuality (as much as I want to some days).

Note: if you print one out of PLA, and don't lacquer it then wear it in the shower the PLA will get soggy. Seriously. Soggy plastic.

On 29/09/2017 at 7:58 PM, cinary said:

I just got my ring! I'm not used to rings so I wanted something small, but I have a very light skin so it's still clearly visible. It's beautiful (I love black) and I like it very much :D 

Hide contents

05acabb64adc607f591b8387ffa49aff.jpg

It's so small :-) what is it made of?

(by the way, i really like your pyjamas)

• Like 1

Mines still seems a bit tight today. I dont know if it's a fat finger day or I need to buy another size,  but it fit nice yesterday so i'm gonna say my fingers must be warm today (hopefully)

8 minutes ago, checkerboard said:

It's so small :-) what is it made of?

(by the way, i really like your pyjamas)

I know, it was not easy to find one this small ;-) Some kind of base metal, I don't know, it was cheap :ph34r:

(yeah, it's my favourite one. I always wear it with a t shirt with a penguin in earmuffs ^^)

55 minutes ago, cinary said:

I know, it was not easy to find one this small ;-) Some kind of base metal, I don't know, it was cheap :ph34r:

(yeah, it's my favourite one. I always wear it with a t shirt with a penguin in earmuffs ^^)

Aww, penguins in earmuffs :-) 

26 minutes ago, checkerboard said:

Aww, penguins in earmuffs :-) 

I know, there's even a little bit of red glitter on it.

Just now, cinary said:

I know, there's even a little bit of red glitter on it.

10/10 on adorableness, I want one.

11 minutes ago, untrACEable_bAROsaur said:

10/10 on adorableness, I want one.

Yup, it's absolutely adorable, but nothing can beat a t-shirt I just got from my best friend for my birthday :D

4ba66c23e25d307d4cc8f8116dfc7098.jpg

(a little bit of context: I love cactuses and have, like, 6 of them)

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, cinary said:

Yup, it's absolutely adorable, but nothing can beat a t-shirt I just got from my best friend for my birthday :D

4ba66c23e25d307d4cc8f8116dfc7098.jpg

(a little bit of context: I love cactuses and have, like, 6 of them)

Free hugs! Thta is the cutest thing ever! Though a free hug from a cactus doesnt sound like too good an idea.

1 minute ago, checkerboard said:

Free hugs! Thta is the cutest thing ever! Though a free hug from a cactus doesnt sound like too good an idea.

Yeah, but some of them are really, well, hairy and are actually quite nice to touch. Like this one http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/itsnotworkitsgardening/June 2013/IMG_3815_zps118968e9.jpg :D 

3 minutes ago, cinary said:

Yeah, but some of them are really, well, hairy and are actually quite nice to touch. Like this one http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/itsnotworkitsgardening/June 2013/IMG_3815_zps118968e9.jpg :D 

Oh wow, that actually looks soft? I've had a few cactuses but they didn't make it. I think i overwatered them :-( They were all of the jaggy variety though.

I also just realised how perfect that t-shirt is if you have 6 cactuses, as the t-shirt has 6 cactuses :-)

@checkerboard that's quite possible as they don't like a lot of water, maybe about once or twice a week? Depends on the kind of cactus. Sometimes less frequently. And yes, that's why she's my best friend :D 

17 hours ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

Why not try this website? www.wish.com

High Quality rings for cheap prices.

You can size your ring corectly. FYI, I'm a Size 10 on my middle finger. ;)

I know my size, it's just the way my middle finger is. Knobbly bit followed by very slender bit.

20 minutes ago, cinary said:

@checkerboard that's quite possible as they don't like a lot of water, maybe about once or twice a week? Depends on the kind of cactus. Sometimes less frequently. And yes, that's why she's my best friend :D 

The only plant i've managed to not kill is aloe vera

10 minutes ago, CirrusClouds said:

I know my size, it's just the way my middle finger is. Knobbly bit followed by very slender bit.

Is it your knuckle that's nobbly? Do you find it falls off your finger?