Black ring

theperksofbeing

5 minutes ago, checkerboard said:

Is it your knuckle that's nobbly? Do you find it falls off your finger?

Yes and no. When the ring is big enough to go over my knuckle it is to big on my finger, so it sits rather uncomfortably and is too wide. Too small and it doesn't go over the knuckle.

• Like 1
Just now, CirrusClouds said:

Yes and no. When the ring is big enough to go over my knuckle it is to big on my finger, so it sits rather uncomfortably and is too wide. Too small and it doesn't go over the knuckle.

Hmm. Do you think silicone rings would be any good? I've seen them on ebay, but i'm not aure what they'd be like as i've had silicome wristbands that when left unused seem to sweat and go weird. But they'd be stretchy to get over your knuckle.

Just now, checkerboard said:

Hmm. Do you think silicone rings would be any good? I've seen them on ebay, but i'm not aure what they'd be like as i've had silicome wristbands that when left unused seem to sweat and go weird. But they'd be stretchy to get over your knuckle.

I might give that ago. I'm just disappointed that I can't really have a normal ring on my middle finger. Only my index fingers are less "skeletal"

2 minutes ago, CirrusClouds said:

I might give that ago. I'm just disappointed that I can't really have a normal ring on my middle finger. Only my index fingers are less "skeletal"

Me too, I have skeleton hands as well, but I still like really nice snug rings. The only way I got a perfect fitting ring was either by bending my thin metal ring to shape, or by 3D Printing it to be a perfect fit.

Silicone rings sound amazing though! Maybe I'll get one to try.

42 minutes ago, checkerboard said:

The only plant i've managed to not kill is aloe vera

Yes, I've got this one too, it's quite unkillable :D You can leave it even for a month without water and it'll still live.

AwkwardAxolotl

I have a black silicone ring I wear all the time. I started off with a regular black ring, but my finger changes size just enough when I'm exercising or when I overheat that I find silicone is just easier. In the 5 years I've been wearing one, I've never seen a stranger wearing one, but I live in a pretty rural area, so that's not surprising.

CirrusClouds

Okay people. I have brought my black silicone ring for my ace ring. I'll let you know the results when it comes.

• Like 1
checkerboard
On 10/1/2017 at 11:00 PM, CirrusClouds said:

Okay people. I have brought my black silicone ring for my ace ring. I'll let you know the results when it comes.

Oh, yay! I am curious to see what they're like, whether they get sweaty or anything or they stay okay even when washing your hands/showering etc. I wore my hematite one on Sunday and I kept moving it around because my hand got hotter and it was difficult to move and I was scared it was going to get stuck. I would imagine silicone wouldn't have that problem.

My overly self conscious brain has prevented me from wearing my ring to work yet, which is a shame.

CirrusClouds

So here it is

Spoiler

2017-10-03%2013.07.29.jpeg?dl=1

It isn't particularly tight on me, but it does hug my finger. It's smaller than my knuckle so it stays on, even while washing my hands.

Because silicone stretches it won't get stuck on my finger. I feel like this is perfect for me, and only £2.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

The silicone ring sounded cool but I didn't want to ask my parents to get me one. I ended up just cutting a black hair tie to the right size then superglued it together. That worked pretty well. If you have thin hair ties you can just wrap it a couple of times around your finger. 

checkerboard
On 10/3/2017 at 10:30 PM, CirrusClouds said:

So here it is

Reveal hidden contents

2017-10-03%2013.07.29.jpeg?dl=1

It isn't particularly tight on me, but it does hug my finger. It's smaller than my knuckle so it stays on, even while washing my hands.

Because silicone stretches it won't get stuck on my finger. I feel like this is perfect for me, and only £2.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

It looks cool! Did you get it from Ebay? I've not worn mine to work yet :-( I'm thinking maybe I could wear it on my left hand for a day or so, then switch it to the right. Not sure. I never wear jewellery, i'm even uncomfortable wearing a silver ring at work. No idea why. But this one, since it has a meaning, somehow makes me more anxious. But I want to wear it, it's a cool ring, and hematite has some nice qualities. I'll get there.

CirrusClouds
1 minute ago, checkerboard said:

It looks cool! Did you get it from Ebay? I've not worn mine to work yet :-( I'm thinking maybe I could wear it on my left hand for a day or so, then switch it to the right. Not sure. I never wear jewellery, i'm even uncomfortable wearing a silver ring at work. No idea why. But this one, since it has a meaning, somehow makes me more anxious. But I want to wear it, it's a cool ring, and hematite has some nice qualities. I'll get there.

Yep, brought on Ebay. I actually brought another one, but down a size. The last one wasn't tight enough. Still very comfortable to wear and I know it won't get stuck on my finger. I've been wearing it everywhere, but so far no one's noticed or cared.

• Like 2

I cant stand band rings (which I was first looking at on Etsy) so I bought a thin sterling silver ring with a black spinel solitaire. I may get another one so its more noticeable, but I just love the black ring idea as a way of showing pride

• Like 1

So when I discovered the ring thing when I started to fully explore my asexyness, I thought I'd never wear a ring, as I'm not a ring wearer and don't want the awkward questions when caught wearing one by people who know me (and my ringless life).

Then a few months ago at an AVEN meet, I was given a nice hematite ring which I loved. Sadly it broke (to those getting scared of hematite rings due to past posts about them, caused by my fault and I suffered no injury). Despite my inital ringless life and the short lifespan of that ring, I could feel it missing off my finger, so got via amazon a nice tungsten cardbide ring for £16 (including p&p).

Funny hearing there is a Christian thing about black rings as swingers also have a black ring thing too (though they discourage people from wearing the ring on the right middle finger as a sign of respect to asexuals).

On 11/10/2017 at 6:13 PM, Scott1989 said:

So when I discovered the ring thing when I started to fully explore my asexyness, I thought I'd never wear a ring, as I'm not a ring wearer and don't want the awkward questions when caught wearing one by people who know me (and my ringless life).

Then a few months ago at an AVEN meet, I was given a nice hematite ring which I loved. Sadly it broke (to those getting scared of hematite rings due to past posts about them, caused by my fault and I suffered no injury). Despite my inital ringless life and the short lifespan of that ring, I could feel it missing off my finger, so got via amazon a nice tungsten cardbide ring for £16 (including p&p).

Funny hearing there is a Christian thing about black rings as swingers also have a black ring thing too (though they discourage people from wearing the ring on the right middle finger as a sign of respect to asexuals).

Hello fellow Scottish person! :-) I bought a hematite ring on ebay but haven't plucked up the courage to wear it in public/to work yet because somehow I think people will know what it means, and as a very shy private person, that scares me a little. However, it's the first ring I have that I actually love the feel of. I've tried wearing rings before but always felt self conscious about them. The hematite one, in the short time i've tried it on at home, makes me feel good. I think I might even risk wearing it to work tomorrow. For me it's more of a reminder to myself that i'm not alone and it's okay to be different. Also though hematite has some pretty cool qualities. I hope I wear it tomorrow. If nobody comments, I may just wear it daily :-)

• Like 3
arekathevampyre
On Sunday, October 01, 2017 at 7:03 AM, CirrusClouds said:

It seems like this is a common issue 

On 12/10/2017 at 8:15 PM, checkerboard said:

Hello fellow Scottish person! :-) I bought a hematite ring on ebay but haven't plucked up the courage to wear it in public/to work yet because somehow I think people will know what it means, and as a very shy private person, that scares me a little. However, it's the first ring I have that I actually love the feel of. I've tried wearing rings before but always felt self conscious about them. The hematite one, in the short time i've tried it on at home, makes me feel good. I think I might even risk wearing it to work tomorrow. For me it's more of a reminder to myself that i'm not alone and it's okay to be different. Also though hematite has some pretty cool qualities. I hope I wear it tomorrow. If nobody comments, I may just wear it daily :-)

Yay Fellow Scottish ace. Also, check out the meetup forum, there is monthly Scottish meets in Edinburgh or Glasgow. Next one is Edinburgh Escape room on Sun 22nd Oct (sadly I can't make it but other AVENites will be there)

On 13/10/2017 at 6:07 AM, checkerboard said:

I have my ring on today. Yay! 

Yay. I'm wearing mine now a days when home alone, out either myself or with people who know I'm ace, or on my weekend shifts at work, where there is very few people in the office, so I get a lot more privacy. If I'm around those who don't know I'm ace, I tend to sneak my ring off around them.

colossalpenguins

I wear a black ring made of onyx and have worn it for probably the last 8-ish years (give or take). When I first started wearing a ring on my right middle finger it was purely a coincidence, it was technically a very dark brown, made from a coconut husk, but was dark enough that it looked black to a casual observer. When that ring tragically broke I went and bought myself my current onyx ring from Camden Market (because where else would a Londoner go to get awesome jewelry) and have been wearing it ever since. 

I wear it almost 24-7, the only times I take it off are when I'm playing rugby or doing some other form of sport. Despite more than one unfortunate incident with the ring flying off my finger it's yet to break which (after 8 years) must be some sort of minor miracle! No one at work has ever said a thing about it although I have definitely got to know friends of friends better as a result of them noticing my ring and understanding it's significance!

All things considered, I'm definitely a fan and have been wearing this ring so long that I feel weird NOT wearing it. For those who were saying they weren't sure about wearing your ring in public because you're not a "ring person", neither was I. You're a ring person at precisely the moment you decide you want to wear a ring. Comfort-wise there are still some rings I own which I wear rarely because they feel weird, it's all about personal preference and finding something which feels right.

That got really long...

• Like 1
Lie-RennyValkyrie_

I bought a black ring today  (I've been wanting for ages and there was one at the festival I went to) even though I hate wearing rings. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to wear it either on some string around my right wrist or on my left hand. I'm on a laptop for about 75% of my time that im not eating or sleeping and its uncomfortable to wear it on my right hand when scrolling on a laptop. I have a piece of red ribbon tied around my right wrist (Its meant to be the red string of fate, I'm aromantic so my string leads back to me or at least according to my brain) So I was thinking maybe I would have it on that?  And would it be okay to wear it on a string around my neck when I do costuming because its not very medieval and I'm an extra in a medieval era movie XD

I don't wear rings. I have tried, but I have fat fingers and they change sizes all the time. They also get in the way. So it's got me thinking of getting a tatoo. I have a few ideas on it. 

I fully support going for a silicone ring.

I got mine from Enso and so far it had stood up to everything from camping to frequent handwashing at work with no signs of damage. It fits ao well I forget I am wearing it.

I was afraid of people at work noticing it. They did and had tons of questions about silicone rings in general, but accepted evasive answers as to why I was suddenly wearing it.

TLDR: Silicone is hella strong and comfy and no-one pays as much attention to your hands as you do.

Edited by Lifesaver
Holy spelling errors!
  • Like 2
Alexandra Kale

I recently realised that I'm ace, so I started to wear it just a week ago and it's more than really dark grey, not exactly black, but I want to order a black ring. Yesterday I took it off to wash my hand before I went to school and forgot about it. I felt so uncomfortable without it. Like I always feel it when I wear this ring and then it was not on my finger and it felt so empty.

And just a few minutes ago, because of some comments, I thought that I can paint my ring myself, so I asked my mom if we got some marler or anything like it. Fortunately she had pernament CD marker and my ring is black now 😊😊😊 

I haven't worn mine for a few days. I think I need to rectify that because it does feel nice on.

• 2 weeks later...
colossalpenguins

I lost my ring on the way to work yesterday as I was attempting to do about 6 things at once :( 

After two full work days without it I was done with not having a ring so went out after work this evening to buy a replacement. I couldn't find one exactly the same style and size but the one I bought feels exactly the same on my finger even if it looks different.

I took the precaution of buying two this time just in case I lose or break my new one. At ¥600 it was totally worth getting two!

I've three of them, one steel and two titanium ones and always wear one since I bought my first black ring, the steel one.

I also sometimes wear 2 because one of the titaniums is a bit too large and tend to drop from my middle finger.

edit 1

Woops,

I forgot the one I bought at Copenhagen's airport but I need to paint it fully black, one way or another. Black nail stuff would do the trick you think folks ?

• Like 1
theperksofbeing
43 minutes ago, Nidwin said:

Black nail stuff would do the trick you think folks ?

It might come out a little clumpy but yeah, black nail polish works fine, though you might have to repaint every once in a while. That’s what I did with my ring (though I lost it a little while back)