Black ring

theperksofbeing

theperksofbeing

I found out about the black ring symbol just recently and I've started wearing one (had to paint an old ring of mine over with black nail polish because I didn't have a black ring haha) and I'm curious - how many of you guys actually wear the ring? And have you seen other people wearing it IRL and been able to use it as a convo starter or no?

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I do. Started to wear it about  3-4 months ago. Guess I once saw a sales man with a black ring on it's right hand in a news paper shop at the main station too but I don't know if he was ace or not since I can't remember the exact position on his fingers anymore. Maybe it was just some sort of casual black jewelry.

Oh yeah, just ask @Andiamo. There's a funny story. We have a large ace population at our school and during freshie orientation we were both wearing our rings (at this point I have two ring halves that came together into one black ring (I have way too many rings now)).  Andiamo was sitting next to me and they were like (all cool and shit) "Nice ring." And I look up at them and pull off my rings and said "Thanks, its actually two rings!" And then I turned back to the presentation we were in. Andiamo was so confused by this encounter, but they didn't want to out me, so they just dropped it and I completely forgot this encounter. Later in orientation during another presentation I sat down next to one of my friends from one of my classes and Andiamo was also sitting next to her. It gets to this point where we have to high-five the people next to us or shake hands or whatever, and I (having forgotten that I met them) notice that they have a black ring on their right hand middle finger. So next time I have the chance I hold up my hand and point to my ring and then just stare at me and nod. 

Then of course our other roommate (the three of us our roommates this year), after a club meeting she was talking with Andiamo about their ring and they were like "Oh I got mine on a trip, but you should ask Lana where she got her ring." And that's how I found out she was ace. 

So that's my experience with it. It works well if you're in queer spaces.

• Like 3

I just bought a ring on the internet so I should have it in a few days. And I really can't wait to wear it every day :D 

I've never saw someone with a ace ring, but I don't really pay attention to other people most of the time, so having my own ring and other people noticing it is the only option for me ;) 

• Like 4
Lucy in the sky

@theperksofbeing You won't believe it, but I actually did exactly the same thing! :lol: I painted a ring from Avril Lavigne's perfume bottle Forbidden Rose :P

I don't wear it every day, I should do it more often though. :) I also don't really look at other people much to notice if anyone at my college has a black ring, but I would certainly be intrigued if I saw that they do.

Mine is just an interim solution. It's wooden (elder), painted with a black marker. I used transparent nail polish for varnishing.

It doesn't really fit, either, so it's just a cheap replacement for my old one which broke.

I saw someone wearing a black ring on the right middle finger recently. They missed the train I was on... damn.

And then there was this girl in Taizé who was wearing an ace ring (black rings are a thing with Christians, too) and I was like "I used to have a ring like that and I even wore it on the right middle finger like you". She clearly didn't get my hint :(

I wear mine every day, once i saw a guy with one on his right hand, but it was the wrong finger, didnt get to talk about it anyway, i wasnt out witht he people i was eating with.

K+Love wearing my ring though!

I've worn mine for years. It's tungsten, so quite heavy but durable. I don't believe anyone has ever asked about it with the idea I might be ace--they were just curious. I usually just tell people about the symbol I have engraved on it since I'm not publicly out.

• Like 1

I'm ordered my new Titanium one on Wish... Comes on the 2nd... SO EXCITED!!!

• Like 4

I have a different take.

I've cheated and wear a black LOTR middle-finger ring; you know, "one ring to rule them all, blah blah, one ring to bind them." I don't wear it to telegraph anything or to remind myself that there are others like me out there...I wear mine to recall that I'm alone. Every time I think that there's someone in whom I might be interested, or when I see someone I find aesthetically pleasing, I want to remember that such things are not for me, that I'm a solitary creature. I have a strong tendency to fuck up relationships--sexual, romantic, friendships, acquaintances, and people I've never even met--so my ring reminds me to keep away from others lest I eat their lives the way my own has been eaten. I call it my 'alone forever' ring, and I explain it to others by saying that it's Sauron's ring from LOTR--too much of a geek to be a good partner to anyone. I don't feel like anyone but me needs know the real reason behind it.

Knock on wood, but it's worked for a while now.

39 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

is my silver stainless steel ring with black enamel around it considered an ace ring ? 

Hmmm.... I heard if the majority of the ring is black, it's good.... At least that's what I read, Vampyre....

• Like 1
A person That is real

Dude I want an Ace ring so bad but there is no way my parents will let me get one:mellow:

arekathevampyre
1 hour ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

Hmmm.... I heard if the majority of the ring is black, it's good.... At least that's what I read, Vampyre....

glad to know haha

A person That is real

Just now, arekathevampyre said:

why not ? 

My family does not have anything against the lgbt+ community, but they don't really support it either. So they wouldn't be cool with me being anything but straight.😒😒😒

9 minutes ago, A person That is real said:

My family does not have anything against the lgbt+ community, but they don't really support it either. So they wouldn't be cool with me being anything but straight.😒😒😒

The ace ring is not that well known to people FYI... Even some aces don't know WTH an ace ring is until you exlain it or point them to appropriate threads on here... My bro-pal knows only because he asked... It's kinda the butt of an ongoing joke that that's why I like black rings, which I reply "Everything looks good in black, my dear boy. ;) "

• Like 4
A person That is real
1 minute ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

The ace ring is not that well known to people FYI... Even some aces don;t know WTH an ace ring is until you exlain it or point them to appropriate threads on here... My bro-pal knows only because he asked... It's kinda the butt of an ongoing joke that that's why I like black rings, which I reply "Everything looks good in black, my dear boy. ;) "

Yeah but they would ask why i wanted it and then i would have to come out or give some bs answer and i dont wanna do either. So I think ill just have a friend buy it for me and ill hide it around my family

6 minutes ago, A person That is real said:

Yeah but they would ask why i wanted it and then i would have to come out or give some bs answer and i dont wanna do either. So I think ill just have a friend buy it for me and ill hide it around my family

Tell them you're wearing it because it's cool and that it's a thing that is unique... Or just secretly wear it... Then again I'm not sure how to answer this... Can you elaborate more?

A person That is real
2 minutes ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

Tell them you're wearing it because it's cool and that it's a thing that is unique... Or just secretly wear it... Then again I'm not sure how to answer this... Can you elaborate more?

Ok, so pretty much my entire family is straight. So they expect me to also be straight, and so they won't let me wear a black ring because aparently it's too girly ( yah know except for like wedding rings) for me to wear a ring. And on top of that is they found out I wanted to wear it because I am ace they would think that something is wrong with me and make me see a doctor or some other shit.

8 minutes ago, A person That is real said:

Ok, so pretty much my entire family is straight. So they expect me to also be straight, and so they won't let me wear a black ring because aparently it's too girly ( yah know except for like wedding rings) for me to wear a ring. And on top of that is they found out I wanted to wear it because I am ace they would think that something is wrong with me and make me see a doctor or some other shit.

How is wearing a ring girly? I see PLENTY of men wear rings... I mean even manly men wear them... So that's some seriously flawed logic there. -_-

Being ace isn't a mental or physical disorder... It's not even in the Mental Illness Book. Or for that matter, in a list of physical disabilities... Seems some folks just can't handle there's more than bi, straight and gay... -_-

Sorry your family's giving you Hell man... :/

• Like 2
A person That is real

1 minute ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

How is wearing a ring girly? I see PLENTY of men wear rings... I mean even manly men wear them... So that's some seriously flawed logic there. -_-

Being ace isn't a mental or physical disorder... It's not even in the Mental Illness Book. Or for that matter, in a list of physical disabilities... Seems some folks just can't handle there's more thaan bi, straight and gay... -_-

Thank you. But its not all bad they love and there's that.( the thing about how rings are "girly is just my Dad, but his view on life is a little screwed up) 

A person That is real
4 minutes ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

Being ace isn't a mental or physical disorder... It's not even in the Mental Illness Book. Or for that matter, in a list of physical disabilities... Seems some folks just can't handle there's more thaan bi, straight and gay... -_-

Actaully the reason my account is so vauge is cause i dont want my family to find out i go on here

Perilous Poozer

I wear a tungsten one, I don’t take it off. But as I posted in another thread, I had a hematite one I used to interchange it with that broke a couple weeks ago and it cut up my finger. Tungsten is good, and very cheap on Amazon! Lots of styles out there too from massive dude-rings (for the posters above) down to super-girly 2mm ones. Mines 4mm, a little fine for current fashion but matches my 3mm wedding ring on the other hand.

A person That is real
1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

@A person That is real try wearing it on a long chain you can hide under your shirts . And with everyone else , I don't see how wearing a ring is 'girly' . Be who you are and not who people want you to be . ;)

Thx i try but sometimes its really hard to be asexual in a very sexual world

• Like 3
arekathevampyre
Just now, A person That is real said:

Thx i try but sometimes its really hard to be asexual in a very sexual world

yeah and I feel weird being the only ace in my family too (I am aro ace to make things worse) 

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Perilous Poozer said:

I wear a tungsten one, I don’t take it off. But as I posted in another thread, I had a hematite one I used to interchange it with that broke a couple weeks ago and it cut up my finger. Tungsten is good, and very cheap on Amazon!

Oh no . I hope your finger is okay !! Didn't know hematite is so dangerous !! 😭

is tungsten heavy ? Just wondering . Cause mine is stainless steel and it is quite light . 

A person That is real
2 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

yeah and I feel weird being the only ace in my family too (I am aro ace to make things worse) 

Wow that must make life intresting