What animal is in your life and gives you comfort?

Hi everyone. As someone who recently discovered the asexuality spectrum, I have been doing a lot of thinking about my life. So far most of my memories are aha! moments, from finally understanding why I did not want to kiss that guy in 10th grade who had a crush on me, to often being the 3rd wheel in a couple friendship (i.e. lots of couples invite me to dinner or hang out with me because I am non-threatening), to my comfort with being alone and not needing sex, to not understanding what all the fuss is about, to being so lonely and wanting a partner but not wanting to deal with the inevitable sexual demands. 

I also am a huge animal fan. (No, not in that way, as pets...this is not that kind of question. Take your mind out of the gutter! Oh, yes, most of you know exactly what I mean. Phew.) Have been since the age of 3 when I got a kitten. Then there were the neighbourhood dogs I would walk and who would bound down the street to greet me with such joy, and the horse who stopped me from killing myself. Oh, and the lovely little rats I rescued from a lab, and the always present cats who have given me comfort. I took one from England to Canada, and brought two from Canada to Sweden. Non pet people asked me why I would bother, can't you just get new ones in the new country? Sheesh.

I live on a farm, so the fact that I have six cats is not as freaky as if I had them jammed in an apartment. I started with the two from Canada, and then two of the farm cats ended up joining the clowder. Then one of them got preggers before I could fix her, and I had 5 mouths to feed. And then one day another kitten turned up on my porch. I think some jerk came and threw them out on the farm...so that makes 6. Did you know that the word for six in Swedish is sex. Ha.

Anyway, tell me what animal(s) have given you comfort or companionship over the years. Every time I look at their sweet faces and push one off of mine, I cannot imagine being without them. 

Oh gosh, you are going to get LOTS of replies to this thread!!!!

I currently have one elderly cat, two small semi-elderly dogs, and four chickens. I never used to care much for small dogs, always thinking myself a "big-dog person," but every dog I have had, regardless of size or breed, has been special in his or her own way. Have also had up to three cats at once. It is so painful when each pet leaves this earth, but there are such wonderful memories as well. Sometimes I go in search of a new one, while other times they just end up with me. (One of my most beloved cats was a Siamese that was given to me by my mom for my 16th birthday. He would go for walks with me in the woods, play hide and seek with me in the house, be constantly at my side.) I can't imagine not having a pet.

If I had the finances, I would love to run an animal rescue organization!

I loved that you used the term clowder, by the way--not a word you hear often!

I currently have one cat, who is a black cat(my favorite kind of cat), and also have a hamster. My cat was a foster that I adopted a few months ago. He follows me around and cuddles with me all the time :blush:. I'll probably get another one or two eventually, even if I still live in a one bedroom apartment. My mom also has three cats that I kind of consider as mine too. At one point when I was like 11 we had cats, bunnies, a dog, a bunch of fish...our house was like a zoo, but I loved those animals.

I have always had a cat.  At the moment I have an elderly three-legged tabby cat.  He doesn't get about as much as he used to, but he still loves cuddles :)

I have fish, but they are an interest more than a comfort.  My old dog has recently had to be put to sleep at 15 - he was a fantastic companion from 8 weeks to the very end.  Now the cat and I comfort each other as we miss him.

We have three dogs; two Labradors Dinozzo (8) and Barney (5) and a Parson Russell - Mad Max

Three cats Percy, Luna and Chloe (Percy came with my son's partner when she moved in; Luna and Chloe are rehomes)

We also have two guinea pigs...these belong to John's partner and her son. When told they were getting two guinea pigs I asked if they were out of their tiny minds...all three cats and the little Russell would think all their birthdays had come at once!  They live out in the garden :)

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I've had various dogs  - GSD, West Highland Terrier, Pomeranian, Jackahuahua, four rats, two rabbits, a hamster and now an old lady cat.

The only pet I was ever afraid of was the hamster! I had to handle her with old leather gloves and every night she used to escape and run upstairs, steal all the toilet roll and stuff it  in her mouth for making bedding. Eventually I had to get a small padlock for her cage door....but I loved her and all my other pet friends.

8 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

The only pet I was ever afraid of was the hamster! 

I totally get that. I looked after a small farm for a couple of summers (just 3 cows, some chickens, dog, cat and rooster) and the rooster was the first animal/bird I had to fight with. I understand his need to protect the ladies but he was very aggressive with me. Then on the farm where I live, about 3 years ago, they had some geese to help protect the sheep that were here. People were attacked, myself included, by these darn geese because they got more and more protective over every part of the farm. This kept happening until the landlord's daughter got attacked...we never saw those geese again. I think it was around Christmas time.

I currently have an Australian Cattle dog (Jecy) and two cats (Kitty and Lulu) that I give my love to. They are the only girls in my life for now LOL. ;)

Jecy - 11 yrs. old

Kitty - ~10 yrs. old

Lulu - 6 yrs. old

8 minutes ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

I currently have an Australian Cattle dog (Jecy) and two cats (Kitty and Lulu) that I give my love to. They are the only girls in my life for now LOL. ;)

Jecy - 11 yrs. old

Kitty - ~10 yrs. old

Lulu - 6 yrs. old

Oh, I love the Australian cattle dogs. I used to volunteer at the SPCA as a dog walker and adoption coordinator. Thankfully, maybe only once, did one of these super intelligent dogs come into the shelter. If I recall, they belonged to a man who had to go to jail for a month, but he did not have anyone to look after her. So he surrendered to the SPCA...in the hopes that no one would adopt her until he came back. It was a happy ending thankfully, and the two were reunited. 

My cats are Tio (16-17?), Desoto (maine coon, 17), Boris (?10-15 farm cat), Chica (? 10- farm cat), Monty (4), and Bugaboo (3). I would love to have other animals, but after a family meeting it was decided that I have to wait. For what, they did not say...

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I couldn't do without my adorable, cheeky, playful cat trio for sure <3

Two Tonkinese boys (brothers) and one traditional Siamese girl.

Rufus (Natural Mink)  - 11 yrs

Taran (Chocolate Mink) - 10 yrs

Kira (Seal) - 9 yrs

I have two cats that came from the felis silvestris species. :D Victoria is 6 years old and Maya is 5 years old.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
1 minute ago, alpha decay said:

I have two cats that came from the felis silvestris species.

What kind of breed is that? oO Outer space? Never heard of it before *scratches her head thinking hard*

14 minutes ago, Deus Ex Infinity said:

What kind of breed is that? oO Outer space? Never heard of it before *scratches her head thinking hard*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat:D

mine aren't pure blood, though. Vicky is a crossbreed of wildcat and domestic cat, which explains her cute personality. :3

I've always had dogs, poodles and border terriers, over the years. At the moment I have a cockerpoo-shitzu cross called Bertie, he's a rescue and was abandoned at just a few weeks old. He's lovely and cuddly, but also a complete nut! I've always wanted a house rabbit, so when I'm in the right place I'll get one.

West highland terrier puppy(5mo).  I had another westie I had to put down at 14yo in February.  I still miss him terribly.  

Weslie is doing his best to fill that spot, and I have to say he's doing a good job.  He is much more cuddly than Harley ever was and will sit and sleep on my lap for hours.  

I'm a dad of four cats.  I hate being away from them during the school year tho :(  

I have my two adopted (rescued) kitties (Susie and Sheeba) twin sisters (Heinz 57 moggies) whose adoption was the best decision I've made in years 

Elftober Country

I have two "accidentally adopted" cats (Brody & Saffy). I've had them since they were tiny balls of fluff. I can't really imagine life without them now... 

Right now I have a wonderful cat, she's the present love of our life.  My husband & I both say at least once a day, if not more, "what would we do with her?"  She never goes outside.  She's a rescue cat.

Hubby & are very much best friends now, finally able to develop this relationship when both agreed to STOP trying to have sexual intercourse, which we never liked, about 30 years ago.  We neither one even like touching.

We like hugging, if not too often.

Hope this wasn't more of an answer than you wanted.  

14 hours ago, p-nutzzz said:

Right now I have a wonderful cat, she's the present love of our life.  My husband & I both say at least once a day, if not more, "what would we do with her?"  She never goes outside.  She's a rescue cat.

Hubby & are very much best friends now, finally able to develop this relationship when both agreed to STOP trying to have sexual intercourse, which we never liked, about 30 years ago.  We neither one even like touching.

We like hugging, if not too often.

Hope this wasn't more of an answer than you wanted.  

You are sweet, no answer of a particular sort was expected...I was more interested in how many of us have pets and it seems many of us, myself included, have rescued animals. I wonder if that is a common trait among us Ace types, that we are so empathetic because we have always tried to figure out our place in the world.

Thanks for answering. 

2 hours ago, Caphyra said:

You are sweet, no answer of a particular sort was expected...I was more interested in how many of us have pets and it seems many of us, myself included, have rescued animals. I wonder if that is a common trait among us Ace types, that we are so empathetic because we have always tried to figure out our place in the world.

Thanks for answering. 

For sure, not quite fitting, thx.  

I'm new in here, not sure how to use this site so answering topics I like to fugue out how this works, so you are welcome & thank you.

I have 3 Bombay cats, Leo, Linus and Lilith.  I've had come-by kitties and shelter cats all my life.  But I always wanted a Bombay.  I went to get 1 and came home with 3.  I also love planted freshwater aquariums with small schooling fish and dwarf freshwater shrimp.  I love looking at the tanks, it makes me feel like I've brought a little bit of nature inside my house.  I have a small farm and used to keep finn sheep, mohair goats and a llama.  I just couldn't live without animals!  :D

everywhere and nowhere

I don't have any pets. I'm allergic to a lot of animals, but even if I wasn't... I greatly respect animals, I don't eat them for example, but I just wouldn't like to take that responsibility over me.

However, I keep plush big cats and I really love my oldest plush tiger (almost 35 years old), the reason for my tigermania.

7 hours ago, Demi in Maine said:

I have 3 Bombay cats, Leo, Linus and Lilith.  I've had come-by kitties and shelter cats all my life.  But I always wanted a Bombay.  I went to get 1 and came home with 3.  I also love planted freshwater aquariums with small schooling fish and dwarf freshwater shrimp.  I love looking at the tanks, it makes me feel like I've brought a little bit of nature inside my house.  I have a small farm and used to keep finn sheep, mohair goats and a llama.  I just couldn't live without animals!  :D

Welcome @Demi in Maine I know what you mean about when you like a breed. I have a Maine Coon now, I adopted him when he was 6, but I would completely want another Maine Coon or a Norwegian Forest Cat...amazing cats. All animals have a place in my heart. When I go to a party and there is a dog/cat/rabbit etc, you will eventually find me hanging out with them instead of the humans.

Highly evolved and extremely intelligent feline predators who are called barmaids.

On 9/23/2017 at 9:51 AM, lilgroundhog said:

So I'm not a pet person, but I do get some strange looks with traveling with my 30 year old Teddy Bear.

Lol...been there done that...at the time almost a must.  I finally gave it up, miss him at times.  :huh:  I still have a lesbian, one all colors & two blue bennies.  The ones I have left I never named, just sit in place in my office.

But the one that helped me get through tough times was Teddy Rugsbin.  

The Drafting Ninja

I have two felines of the male gender.  Porthos is 2 years old  and Pippin is 5 months old.

I also have a 29 year old teddy bear!

Archived