Anyone ever joined a dating site? >.>

plasticapollos

plasticapollos

I'm not going to lie. My reasoning is only because I'm HELLA curious and VERY bored.

But super curious. 

Like SO curious.. Story time! :3

I used OKCupid, had three dates with a guy that was nice and respectful... but I really can't stand dating, romantic expectations when I barely know a person, ack! Now I'm in a relationship with someone from AVEN and much prefer the frienship-to-relationship route...

Otherwise, I just mainly got hellos, a few curious people, a couple of nowhere convos and a few looking just for a hookup. 

I have joined a few, and there are obviously some people who are looking on there for a hook up. While there are people who might want a real relationship, so it is going to be a mixed bag. I have talked to my fair share of people who are just wanting one thing, and well let's say I don't talk to those people anymore :P . Though there IS potential to meet someone pretty awesome on a dating site, you just have to be open to it

Online dating has been hopelessly broken for a couple of years. End of story.

I have an account on Ace-book but its mostly dead over there and it's almost all women. I made some online friends which is fine but no one seems very interested in wanting to actually see each other.

I've used OkCupid. It was super meh. Got one date out of it. Also meh. I tried Tinder once. Didn't get anywhere with that.

yup. I have multiple times...most of the times I be catfishing just because I'm that bored...and it's more fun that way

I did Tender for a heartbeat. I didn't like how it was mostly looks-based because that's not the main thing I'm interested in when it comes to partners. Never met anyone from off it, so can't say I put in maximum effort.

I'm on OkCupid now. Met someone I really liked but they were sexual and wanted a sexual relationship so we didn't work out. We actually chat a lot still, and I think they like me, but we want different things so that's that.

Honestly, I think those experiences encapsulate the challenge of dating when ace :P I could be wrong, but that's been my experience

1 minute ago, Starbucks Covfefe said:

yup. I have multiple times...most of the times I be catfishing just because I'm that bored...and it's more fun that way

Woah, wait, back-up. You can't just hint at a fun story and not explain. :P How do you catfish?! 

2 minutes ago, Puck said:

Woah, wait, back-up. You can't just hint at a fun story and not explain. :P How do you catfish?! 

lol! find one of those "headless ab pics" on google...it works just about every time. 8) none of those people care about what the face looks like when they are trying to hook up. I just find it super crazy how some sexual people can be so easy...lol. it amazes me. they literally be all over you for just one pic.  in the few times that i did that, the conversation usually ends with me not responding due to their over sexual or personal questions. but it is kinda fun getting a glimpse at what some (sexual) people do these days on sites.

8 minutes ago, Starbucks Covfefe said:

lol! find one of those "headless ab pics" on google...it works just about every time. 8) none of those people care about what the face looks like when they are trying to hook up. I just find it super crazy how some sexual people can be so easy...lol. it amazes me. they literally be all over you for just one pic.  in the few times that i did that, the conversation usually ends with me not responding due to their over sexual or personal questions. but it is kinda fun getting a glimpse at what some (sexual) people do these days on sites.

Thats all it takes, huh :P Very interesting.

To be fair, though, I have multiple times have sexuals tell me I'm sexy and that they want to connect more on random sites where I don't even include a picture of me so I guess there are some people out there that are just that eager...

Just now, Puck said:

Thats all it takes, huh :P Very interesting.

To be fair, though, I have multiple times have sexuals tell me I'm sexy and that they want to connect more on random sites where I don't even include a picture of me so I guess there are some people out there that are just that eager...

true! 

I use OKCupid and I've found it to be a pretty pleasant experience overall. I've put on my profile that I'm looking for long-term dating but also friends, from anywhere in the world, and I've made a couple of those for sure. I turned on the filter that blocks messages from people with less than a 70% match rate (i.e. pretty much everyone who is obsessed with sex), so I've only ever once (out of probably triple figures numbers of guys now) interacted with a creepy hookup type person. Every time someone messages me now I check their profile to see if they sound like someone I'd be interested in - if they've barely answered any questions or filled in any of their profile they automatically get ignored. It's been quite good for my self esteem, after years and years of being tormented and ignored by men, to have any at all think I look cute or I sound interesting. Additionally, you can filter your searches to look only for Asexual guys if you want - but I prefer not to.

I went onto OKC with the hope to have interesting conversations, nothing more and nothing less, and that's probably why I've had such a good time compared to everyone else commenting. I admit I've not been on it as much lately, mostly because I'm trying to work out if I have a crush on one of my friends and it feels dishonest to be gathering all this attention from other men when it's the attention of only one I really want, but if you're curious I think OKC is worth a shot. You can disable or delete your profile whenever you want no questions asked.

Lucas Monteiro

I tried to use Tinder, I realized that almost 90% of people there are more trying to find casual sex than anything else. I used OKCupid for some time, I got a date, it was cool but I do not think I'll go back there for the time being, I'm currently trying to find asexual dating sites, which is very difficult. I believe because being asexual, the experience with these dating sites gets much more complicated, people either do not understand you, or think they can turn you around, and make you sexual.

Squirrel Combat

Occasionally I return to Acebook and see about finding someone. I had met some pretty promising ladies on there, but Hailey has maintained such a dominating presence in my life that life in general puts the kibosh on my prospects with any other woman I meet and I'm left with Hailey. ^_^

• 1 month later...

I've used OkCupid. I told people I was demi before I met them and all said that they were okay with it. One guy still kept asking for sex though, so... But I did meet someone whom I am dating now who is sexual but wont be interested in sex for awhile. We texted a while before we met and started out as "friends with hugs." I made up the term, but as friends who hold hands and go to the movies without the emotional attachment. Being expected to be romantically attracted to someone the first time you meet them seems weird to me. I've met a lot of great friends on OkCupid so it would not have been a waste of time even if I had not met my boyfriend. 

P.S. There are very few girls on OkCupid so if you are looking for females I'd go somewhere else.

J. van Deijck

I still have that account on OKC :lol: but the only reason why I opened it was a "social experiment" here on AVEN. I don't even use this one and it also says clearly that "it was all for lolz".

I was on Christian Mingle but for more shits n giggles and occasional trolling.

I did once and then when I tried to write a profile realised no-one would be interested in a person who enjoys being on their own, doesn't want sex and doesn't want bothered by twats.  

End of story.

I joined OKC years ago (under duress) and wrote a profile that would intentionally tank (no pictures, etc), and just left it there.  Never got any responses, never expected to.  Occasionally got an email saying I should upload a picture to get better responses, but, I just ignore it.  Either my spam filter has decided it is spam now, or OKC has stopped sending emails.

I used Tinder once and met a really nice guy. He was really funny and sweet and we had the same interests. When I first told him that I'm asexual he was like yeah but later right? And he kept pressuring me soo that didn't work out. Haven't been on the site since then.

I'm on OKC, but sadly it's almost impossible for me to develop romantic feelings towards someone when going into a meetup with the expectation of developing romantic feelings...The only pleasant experiences I had with people are under other settings, work, hobbies, group therapy etc.

knitwritezombie

I’ve been considering it. I’ve recently moved and don’t have any local friends, but I’m also horribly shy, socially anxious, and totally introverted. The whole online dating thing freaks me out almost as much as trying to meet people in person.

On 20/09/2017 at 10:33 PM, Ciri said:

Yeah. 

I received a PM within minutes.

I threw up and never went there again.

:lol: (sorry for laughing, but your throwing up comment made me...)

My experience was more or less the same minus the throwing up. Lots of interest but none good and most were sexually motivated. Dating sites are not good places for me to be. I honestly don't know how people meet someone on there and start a serious relationship. Apart from that, no one takes any notice of me saying I'm asexual. No one seems to read anything on there and they all seem to use a scattergun approach based on pictures.

1 minute ago, Acing It said:

:lol: (sorry for laughing, but your throwing up comment made me...)

My experience was more or less the same minus the throwing up. Lots of interest but none good and most were sexually motivated. Dating sites are not good places for me to be. I honestly don't know how people meet someone on there and start a serious relationship. Apart from that, no one takes any notice of me saying I'm asexual. No one seems to read anything on there and they all seem to use a scattergun approach based on pictures.

:lol: This was about Acebook! It was a nice message. But I kinda learnt that day that I'm not the traditional romantic Asexual.

Archived