What is a queerplatonic relationship?

Only came across to this today and I think I wanna know more about it.

Are there other kinds of relationships that are not considered "normal" or at least not well known?

It's a relationship where close friends commit to each other in a similar way to a long term relationship, but there are no romantic feelings or romantic conventions. For example, a queerplatonic partner can be your lifelong roommate, your +1 to family/work/social functions, your emergency contact, your companion on vacations, etc. It goes well beyond a typical friendship but with no romantic feelings or structure similar to romantic relationships (such as open affection, calling each other boyfriend/girlfriend, etc).

Some people strongly disagree with the limited range of my definition and might define a QPR as any close friendship that's not romantic, or any relationship where sappy romance is not celebrated, but I personally think it should be limited to friendships close enough where day-to-day functioning is integrated but don't appear to be the same as an average romantic relationship.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Hermy said:

Are there other kinds of relationships that are not considered "normal" or at least not well known?

As far as I'm aware, a QPR is meant to cover any non-romantic close relationship. something "Beyond friendship" so to speak, but it is a friendship and non-romantic. commonly this is either a nonromantic personal partnership, or it is a "best friend" where saying "best friend" isn't enough to say.

2 hours ago, Snao Çoñé said:

It's a relationship where close friends commit to each other in a similar way to a long term relationship, but there are no romantic feelings or romantic conventions. For example, a queerplatonic partner can be your lifelong roommate, your +1 to family/work/social functions, your emergency contact, your companion on vacations, etc. It goes well beyond a typical friendship but with no romantic feelings or structure similar to romantic relationships (such as open affection, calling each other boyfriend/girlfriend, etc).

Some people strongly disagree with the limited range of my definition and might define a QPR as any close friendship that's not romantic, or any relationship where sappy romance is not celebrated, but I personally think it should be limited to friendships close enough where day-to-day functioning is integrated but don't appear to be the same as an average romantic relationship.

1 hour ago, float on said:

As far as I'm aware, a QPR is meant to cover any non-romantic close relationship. something "Beyond friendship" so to speak, but it is a friendship and non-romantic. commonly this is either a nonromantic personal partnership, or it is a "best friend" where saying "best friend" isn't enough to say.

Wow, thank you! I think this is exactly what I want/need. @Snao Çoñé I love how you put into words. I would love to have someone living in the same household, watching scary movies with me and be my avec at any type of gathering. This is exactly what I've been thinking and it's so helpful to know I'm not the first one to want this or have it.

• Like 1