BBC Radio 4 Saturday 23 September

Zebrafinch

There was a short mention of asexuality on iPM on Radio 4 yesterday.

If you want to have a listen, it's at 19 minutes in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093hfph

They'd like to hear more from asexuals. So if anyone wants to do a bit of visibility/education... 

Not quite up for it myself - I'm not out and really don't have the nerve to come out on national radio!! Might write in anonymously.

just written in. I do hope someone else does/has, preferably someone who's up for an interview.

Driving home today I heard a trailer for the programme 'iPM'. At least part of it is about asexuality. Topics are based on contacts from listeners, and one correspondent had contacted them about the lack of visibility of asexuality. Her daughter is ace and had found growing up as an Ace quite difficult.

Then the advert ended. It looks like its on at  0545 (in the morning) and repeated the same day at 1730. All times British Summer time (GMT+1). It should also be available to listen again, later (at least current episodes are). Whether that applies world wide or just in the UK, I don't know. Maybe someone from overseas can see if they can access previous episodes and report back?

Looking at the schedule, it's only a 15 minute programme, so maybe the whole 15 minutes is about asexuality? That would be good.

Oh good, so someone other than me has got in touch. I heard last Saturday's iPM and posted it here, hoping somebody else  would write in. Should be a good bit of visibility. Now do I wake up early or just listen later...

5 minutes ago, Zebrafinch said:

Oh good, so someone other than me has got in touch. I heard last Saturday's iPM and posted it here, hoping somebody else  would write in. Should be a good bit of visibility. Now do I wake up early or just listen later...

listen later.....

As far as I know, you can't get the BBC programmes overseas, unless it's one of the ones they put into podcast form (must check). If you have a geo-blocker, well that's another thing... :P 

UPDATE: they DO put it on iTunes, woohoo!

I emailed iPM, and I've had a short, but rather nice, reply. I gather that they are going to use a brief extract from what I wrote in their broadcast.

I'm excited, hopeful and nervous about what the programme will be like. 

Just listened to this weeks iPM, seemed quite informative and interesting with the appearances of Asexuals talking about their stories making for a nice clear insight into the what it's like. 

I particularly empathised with the woman saying that had she known about Asexuality when she was younger she felt her mental health would have likely been a lot better through her 20's. Right there with you.... 

I just listened to it on 'catch-up' and it  was okay.

Given it was on national radio it will definitely increase the awareness of asexuality. Which can only be good.

Yes definitely worth listening to, although somewhat dissapointingly it ended with someone who was surprised at himself as he had just entered into a sexual rship after believing himself to be ace. Think this was a little undermining, at best. Perhaps part of the BBC's relentless desire to have to show both sides of everything. 

I thought the BBC did a pretty good job. I'm not sure that people here will learn much that is new, but I found it reassuring to hear the usual messages again, and realise again that many of my experiences are shared by others. Plus, for people unfamiliar with asexuality, it will hopefully have been informative. It wasn't sensational, and I thought it was overall a sensitive and thoughtful programme. 

As for the trailer for next week's programme... I didn't take it the same way that @James596 did. Yes, the person has had a sexual experience, but I don't think we were told that he has stopped thinking of himself as ace. I guess we'll just have to wait until next week to see where the BBC goes with this.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:41 AM, Alexshores said:

Just listened to this weeks iPM, seemed quite informative and interesting with the appearances of Asexuals talking about their stories making for a nice clear insight into the what it's like. 

I particularly empathised with the woman saying that had she known about Asexuality when she was younger she felt her mental health would have likely been a lot better through her 20's. Right there with you.... 

I actually found this website in my late teens, but I didn't stick around; I went into denial about being asexual. I felt so many emotions: shocked, happy, then I spent my 20s feeling ashamed and tried to convince myself that perhaps I was still a late-bloomer, and that maybe my sexuality would awaken if I were dating and in a relationship, or that perhaps I was bisexual. I thought I couldn't stay this way for my entire life because it wasn't acceptable in society: everyone else seemed to be "normal," marrying, dating, and having children.

I thought this BBC radio program was a lot better than the last one that interviewed Anthony Bogaert: despite Professor Bogaert explaining asexuality, the interviewer kept getting confused, thinking asexuality was celibacy. So, they've finally gotten it right this time, having asexuals explain their lives and feelings. 

Does anyone know who was on the second programme today? I think it was really good... It must have been nervewracking for the person being interviewed...

Greetings. I am new on this forum. How do I get so lucky and fortunate to hear such qualities programme on my first time visiting here~ Thank you so much all of you who made this happened and presented to me~ :wub: I have just listened to 21 minutes "Being Asexual" on that topic. 

18 hours ago, Acing It said:

Does anyone know who was on the second programme today? I think it was really good... It must have been nervewracking for the person being interviewed...

I don't know who the interviewee was.

I thought the second programme was interesting (and, wow, the BBC gave us two programmes!) although I think I preferred the variety of the first one. Having said that, I also listened to the longer interview (the Eddie Mair podcast that was mentioned during the programme). That's worth listening to, if only to see where the BBC trimmed the original interview down for broadcast.

I didn't think of that... good idea. I'll see if I can download it now. I think both programmes should be seen together. It is great that asexuality gets a proper look in at the BBC. It's worse in other countries, though, in my experience.

I am so grateful and thank you for BBC iPM aired not only 1 but 2 episodes too... I've listened to 2nd episode too, It's impressive to hear those stories. Thanks for all who made this possible

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, Acing It said:

The interviewer gave the asexual man's first name, only: Jordan. 

I liked both of the interviews, although I wasn't sure whether Jordan felt sexually assaulted or not, when he described his sexual experience with his friend at university; I couldn't tell whether he really was fine with it or not. I felt sorry for him when he described feeling uncomfortable and having panic attacks.

I don't know whether there are U.S. radio shows that have devoted an entire program to interviewing asexuals, too. Perhaps, there are some out there that I haven't come across, yet.

Archived