Are you a nice person?

nothinbuttrouble

On 9/19/2017 at 9:33 PM, nothinbuttrouble said:

Are you a nice person? Why or why not?

I try hard  but sometimes fail.  To give you an idea of how I am, I volunteered to work for the Samaritans about five years back and was rejected on the grounds that I was too sensitive.

I think that taught me that, to be a consistently nice person, you need some inner toughness as well.  As the world is often a cruel place, you are likely to abandon your principles of niceness if life gets too tough for you to handle.

I think I'm pretty nice. I wouldn't say I'm the nicest person around, but I definitely don't think I'm mean. I mostly stay to myself, but I'm cordial enough to people and if someone needs help I'm help them (to an extent). The only times I'm mean is if someone crosses my boundaries, is extremely annoying, or they're a jerk and I don't like them. My switches kind of flip then and I can be really mean.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Don't feel the need to be nice if it hurts you inside, Just be yourself!

I think we live in a society that's anything but nice on the inside but this superficial 'niceness' is all around on the surface. I just say - be real.

yes I have empathy all the time everyone should for everything. it's okay to be hurt or angry but don't be a dick XD

I mean I HAVE been rude but lifes also been rude. I don't actually judge ppl I honestly think if ppl were more nice everything would be ok

To be honest, I have very little empathy and very little ability to care for other human beings.

I wish I was nicer because honestly I am not so nice a lot of times.

when i'm offline, i tend to speak as less as possible, and i tend to only say "mm" or "mhm". i'm not sure if that counts as nice or not, so i'll just say.. kinda?

I don't think that anyone is 100% nice or 100% mean. There's a lot going on inside the world of every person. That being said I do my best to be nice, but sometimes people get on my nerves. And sometimes people catch me by surprise and I freeze and don't respond, and I'm sure it comes off as rude.

I hope not. When I was in grade two, my favourite teacher in the world, a kick-ass woman who I knew as Mrs. Rowe, taught me that 'nice' is a meaningless word. It doesn't describe much of anything and I sure as hell don't want people to think of me as nice. As I've gotten older and gone through my own life experiences, I've learnt the importance of things like compassion and kindness and accepting people as they are, and I've tried to work on being better to others. But I've also learnt that sometimes being "nice" isn't what's best or necessary, and we're required to be things that others may not like. And sometimes I'm still a fucking dickbag, because I don't always get it right and I can be a pretty messed-up person. So I'm many things, hopefully some of them perceived as good things by others, but I don't care about "nice".

what the face

I posted this theme elsewhere, and have seen this here awhile ago.

I believe there is for some of us asexuals  a shared attitude, worldview similarity to

Punk Rock.  

If popular music is based on love and sex and togetherness,  Punk is the rejection of this.

Punk is about what this isn't about.  

Love, getting along , being nice.  THAT'S NOT PUNK!

And  sex discussions and ruminations that are common topics on this site.  That's NOT ASEXUAL. 

Sometimes we have to get another persons attention.

I understand and appreciate this site as a place to explore.

To open up parts of ourselves before maybe coming out or facing others in our lives.

Having a community is key.

You may have guessed I like punk rock. 

The attitude, argumentative, challenge to norms/authority.  Righteous anger! (when appropriate)

That attitude shows on this site in places.

"This is what I think!"  "I don't care if you like it!"   "I'm gonna be who I AM!"

That's not always NICE.

Archived