Singing/acting romantic things as an aromantic

StormySky

It's hard to potray a love you've never felt on your face for a large audience :P Tomorrow I have to perform this jazzy love song which involves lots of staged "swooning" over a love interest and I'm unsure of how to do this accurately. I've practiced but it doesn't feel or look genuine.

Anyone have similar experiences/advice?

Salted Karamel

Try imagining something you do swoon over, like a really delicious cupcake or a pair of shoes you really covet. I had to do a "sexy" photoshoot the other day and I found that imagining "I know something that you don't" put the best approximation of sexy looks on my face.

Just now, katydidd said:

Try imagining something you do swoon over, like a really delicious cupcake or a pair of shoes you really covet. I had to do a "sexy" photoshoot the other day and I found that imagining "I know something that you don't" put the best approximation of sexy looks on my face.

Great advice! I tried making the face I make when I see a really fluffy puppy and I hope it'll work ;)

I couldn't do either of those things lol. I'd try, and immediately know it looks awk.

I've had to do sexy/sexual a few times and either my being ace or just my personality had it feel awkward. I find it works best for me if I make it extra fake. Like it's not me, I'm not trying to be this way, I'm mimicking someone else's actions and if I get it off it's because the person I'm mimicking did. I don't know, but there's something about not being "me" while acting things I'd normally find awkward that makes it much more believable. And way less uncomfortable.

I struggle with this when I'm singing, too. I either try to relate it to something else that I've been passionate about, or kinda like KendraPM said, I just try to think of it as a series of actions and expressions that I'm mimicking. Fortunately I've never had a role where I've had to act romantically and/or sexually interested in another person who was actually there on stage with me, lol (and I'm not a soprano so I'm unlikely to be the love interest or heroine any time soon, thankfully). I think it could be awkward but practice and study makes perfect :)

1 hour ago, phoenixrisen said:

I struggle with this when I'm singing, too. I either try to relate it to something else that I've been passionate about, or kinda like KendraPM said, I just try to think of it as a series of actions and expressions that I'm mimicking. Fortunately I've never had a role where I've had to act romantically and/or sexually interested in another person who was actually there on stage with me, lol (and I'm not a soprano so I'm unlikely to be the love interest or heroine any time soon, thankfully). I think it could be awkward but practice and study makes perfect :)

I've seen some works (granted, not stage plays... yet, just TV) with a contralto as the lead.  Granted, the character could be interpreted as ace, but, it was a non-soprano in the lead.

This is an interesting topic! I'm not a singer, but whenever I performed skating routines for audiences, I just listened to the lyrics and either would try to physically perform and interpret it by either imagining I was the singer who was trying to express their love for another person (I enjoyed how emotional their voices sounded, as though they were really upset about their partner leaving or loving them,) or I would kind of try to find something about it I could relate to, say the love of a parent or friends' friendship.

I felt the same way when I started writing: "How am I supposed to write characters in romantic relationships?" But what I've learned to do is think about other peoples' relationships I've witnessed or heard about. That has helped me feel more confident about writing characters who date, feel romantic toward another person, etc.

Would it help you to think about other peoples' relationships you've heard or witnessed (i.e. parents' relationships, friends' relationships) or how other people (your family and/or friends) love you? Then, perhaps, you could imagine you are them while you're performing on stage, feeling their feelings, or try to imagine the positive feelings others have toward you and use that to express your character's love for another.

It went well... I tried to interact with other members of the choir and gave it my all. The audience's reactions went well!

• 2 weeks later...

Asked a friend about it saying "how do I act out a lovey dovey song if I've never been in love?"

Her response: "just imagine a really sexy attractive guy"

Me: "That's another issue in itself...

I don't notice sexy people"

Archived