oSTEM Conference

Wafflefrolic

Hey all,

Has anyone joined the oSTEM group at their college or attended the national conference? The groups at my school are getting ready to register ppl for the conference but I am unsure of the acceptance of aces in oSTEM functions and if it would be worthwhile for me to attend . I checked the oSTEM national website and their "A" stands for ally and there's no mention of aces. I just want to know if any aces could relate their experiences (good or bad) at this event.

I haven't participated in this organization, but if their goal truly is to work on inclusiveness in STEM and help people be proud of their orientations, then they have no choice but to be civil to you. Throw any flawed logic back in their faces (should it be present), maybe point out that you could help our orientation be included in their efforts like a sort of asexual ambassador. If they're jerks and attempt to delegitimize you, then they don't deserve you as a member. We have to put up with some adversity occasionally in order to change minds, but that shouldn't require we torture ourselves.

Hi @Wafflefrolic - I happened to see your post and wanted to offer my support. I founded oSTEM, although I recently left the leadership (with more capable people) so that I can focus on other science/technology ventures. I will be at the conference and presenting a workshop called "Data Science and Unicorns," and I would very excited to see you if you decide to attend! Depending on the day, my sexual/affectional orientation ranges from asexual to gay, but I most often identify as demisexual. 

If you decide to attend, please know that oSTEM was founded by students, for students - and from a place of social justice.  Inclusiveness has always been a primary focus for the leadership. If you have any concerns or want something changed, then definitely bring concerns or ideas to the current oSTEM leadership.  On the schedule is a Membership Meeting on Saturday, when feedback from the attendees is gathered and used to improve and advance the community.

I also agree with @TopHatCat - if any organization delegitimizes you or their leaders are jerks, then they don't deserve you as a member. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just an update that I will be attending the conference, it took a bit to finalise all the details. @TopHatCat and @Trunkflare thank you the support ! I have looked through the schedule and saw that there is a workshop session for aces, pans and other underrepresented members of the queer community. I am very excited to be able to attend this and meet other members of the community there.

@Trunkflare thank you for the offer to meet up, I am planning to attend your workshop and I would love to be able to speak with you afterwards

Archived