Someone else’s potential ace ring

Hello! So when I came out to a close friend a while back, he told me about ace rings. I was intrigued and wanted to get one but I just ended up never doing it. Now I met someone who has a black ring on their middle finger. Is it ok for me to ask if it’s an ace ring? How should I ask? I don’t want to out the kid or make him uncomfortable

• Like 2

Hmm. Perhaps, "Hi. I notice you have a black ring. I've seen other people wear them, too. Where did you get yours? I might want one."

That way, you won't "out" them or make them uncomfortable, but it'll give them the option if they want to tell you they're asexual or not. 

Perilous Poozer

You could just compliment it as a piece of jewellery and let him say as much or as little about it as he feels comfortable with?

• Like 2

"I like your ring. Is it a symbol for something, or do you wear it just as jewellery?"

Make sure to check on what hand the ring is. There's at least one other group who identifies with black rings, and they are totally not aces.

• Like 2
Hermit Advocate

This is why I think we need a code phrase for when you see someone wearing a black ring on the right finger. Personally, if it were me I wouldn't mind if any of you came up to me on the street and asked if my ring is an ace ring. If you're worried about "outing" the person, maybe ask them when they're alone? 

I'd try and talk to them about it alone and ask if it stands for something. That's how I would prefer it if someone asked me about mine.

Ive met a few aces professionally, if there choosing a public symbol then they want people to know but I would still be kind when choosing a time mentioning it, I don't personally where a ring but that’s because I'm cheap and dont care