• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Kelly

New Team members Needed--Moderator and Project Team: Voting   11/01/17

Voting has started. See:     http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163513-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163514-new-moderator-member-needed-qa-co-mod-and-gray-area-mod-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163513-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/  
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
k_pixel

Just ordered my first toy...

k_pixel

So I'm 24 and have never used a sex toy of any description. But since I've been questioning my sexuality, I was thinking I need more experience and buying myself something was a good way to get it, seeing as I'm not with anyone right now and don't want to sleep around hahahaha.

I was just wondering how many others on here use them? I'm actually pretty excited for it to turn up as it'll 1) help me find out what I like and 2) hopefully make me feel more relaxed overall as I get a lot of anxiety

argar

I think it is awesome you are trying to define yourself for yourself.

A little off topic, but this reminded me of a conversation I was having with someone over the weekend.

I mentioned the double standard that we seemed to have over "toys" when it comes to men and  women.

If a man has a toy like a blow up doll, or something else,  he is considered a weirdo or something is wrong with him, but if a woman has a toy it is perfectly acceptable in most cases.

It seems strange to me that we have this standard.

To answer the question though, no toy for me, although I did briefly think about getting one.

I don't orgasm, so I thought it would be an interesting experience.

Sean-Kat

I have the weird thing where I'll experience arousal a lot but not have a sexual target. It took me about a year of practice with a vibrator (age 20) until I could figure out how to orgasm at all.

Once I learned how to, it made me not dependent on my partner at all for anything sex related, since I didn't have excess random arousal. (Sex was boring/not fun, and this both solved and created problems in the relationship) I found that masterbating regularly also regulates my emotions on a day to day basis. (I have terrible anxiety)

Have fun! :)

swirl_of_blue

I've thought about getting one but decided against it. I would like to try one, because frankly I'm growing bored with the things I can do just with my hands. But if I even try to fantasize of using a toy, I start feeling like I'm actually having partnered sex with an inanimate object. And that is to me an extremely repulsive thought, even moreso than partnered sex with another human. So unfortunately no toys for me.

Nowhere Girl

I have similar thoughts. Plus, you know... there is some curiosity about what it feels like, but I'm more scared of all the pain and blood stuff... and, given my anatomy, it would be almost certain. So nope. I could be interested in some little gadget for external massage, preferably something not explicitly made for sexual activities.

Willgracefan

I only masturbate when I'm drunk for whatever reason. In the past though I was obsessed with toys, I would go to different sites and compare and compare. I enjoyed them very much. I accepted I was ace a few months ago and I've also tried to drink less so maybe because of those two things I have masturbated in a awhile and the thought of toys hasn't entered my mind.  Seeing what@swirl_of_blue said above though makes me think that I too now think of using a toy would be like imitating sex with another person which is a no no for me.

all that said, I totally think you should experiment, because I really did like the toys I bought. 

Snao Cone

I've bought a couple, but they don't really do anything for me. I have a vibrating dildo that was quite expensive, but it just doesn't do anything for me. :( It looks nice, though. (Not that I have it out on display...)

sea-lemon

I bought a couple at the beginning of the year for similar reasons - I was questioning myself and I wasn't sure if I'd just not found what I liked. 

Idk why but I spent extra to get a really pretty aqua blue coloured one :lol: They ended up not really doing a lot for me, but using them made me a little bit more comfortable with experimenting like that.

nanogretchen4

Over the years I have bought a couple of dildoes, which I rarely use. I have bought cheap battery powered vibrators, which I used until they soon stopped working because they were very flimsy and there is no warranty on most sex toys. But I also had a Hitachi Magic Wand, which is a well made appliance with a warranty. On paper it is a massager, not a sex toy, and you could indeed massage your back with it if you wanted to. However, it is also much stronger and more effective than the cheap vibrators as long as you prefer a vibrator for external use only. I used mine for about ten years before it broke. I haven't replaced it because using a vibrator is not really my go to method of masturbation and I'm not with a partner right now so it doesn't matter how long it takes me to orgasm. If I were to start a sexual relationship I would run right out and buy another one to speed things up during partnered sex.

Snao Cone
7 hours ago, sea-lemon said:

I bought a couple at the beginning of the year for similar reasons - I was questioning myself and I wasn't sure if I'd just not found what I liked. 

Idk why but I spent extra to get a really pretty aqua blue coloured one :lol: They ended up not really doing a lot for me, but using them made me a little bit more comfortable with experimenting like that.

Mine is a pastel aqua colour. :D I bought it off the recommendation of a dude friend of mine who bought one for a previous girlfriend. It seems like an odd place to get dildo advice from, but it came up in conversation so why not? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Nowhere Girl
5 hours ago, nanogretchen4 said:

I have bought cheap battery powered vibrators, which I used until they soon stopped working because they were very flimsy and there is no warranty on most sex toys. But I also had a Hitachi Magic Wand, which is a well made appliance with a warranty.

And have you heard of the woman who discovered that her vibrator was spying on her? The device was not battery-powered, but had an accumulator with USB connection and the owner discovered that every time she connected the device to her computer to power it up, it connected to the internet and sent data to the producer. Supposedly the producer wanted to know how often, how long etc. its products were used in order to improve future versions, but still you'll admit that the thought is kinda disturbing... And also funny, especially to non-dildo-users who don't have to worry about this kind of intrusion on their privacy...

roland.o

I had a phase for a few years where I bought something every few months, to try out how it feels. Different forms, different materials. But then the interest faded, and I rarely use the toys anymore.

Fifi123

I have a few toys. Sometimes I use 'em, sometimes I don't. I bought the first one around 5 years ago or so. An online friend recommended it, she said it was awesome and insisted I should try it. :lol:

Nowhere Girl

Just by the way, I decided to give it a try too and bought a "general" massage device which looks like this:

12456_oregon-mini-masazer-z-zegarkiem-ws

Mine is like this, only yellow. The colored part is actually the "handle" (not a very comfortable one) and the massaging end is rounded and hidden inside the base on this photo.

It was cheap - around 10 dollars in conversion to US currency, so I don't feel like I wasted my money. Not very comfortable - the vibrations spread to the hand holding the device. But generally OK. It can be used for "ordinary" massage (and I guess I'll give myself a neck and shoulders massage), but it can also be used to massage the vulvar area. A very good aspect is that it can be used absolutely fine through clothes (probably much better than directly on skin, actually). An important feature for ace users, I guess - it doesn't feel too much like imitating partnered sex. But anyway, probably no method of self-pleasuring can overcome the downsides in my case: that after an orgasm my sex aversion expands and I generally feel somewhat frustrated for a while.

Deus Ex Infinity

Used to try some without big success many many years ago. Weird experinece tbh. Anyway, just go and have fun :D

banoffeepie
On 9/14/2017 at 8:38 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

And have you heard of the woman who discovered that her vibrator was spying on her? The device was not battery-powered, but had an accumulator with USB connection and the owner discovered that every time she connected the device to her computer to power it up, it connected to the internet and sent data to the producer. Supposedly the producer wanted to know how often, how long etc. its products were used in order to improve future versions, but still you'll admit that the thought is kinda disturbing... And also funny, especially to non-dildo-users who don't have to worry about this kind of intrusion on their privacy...

I read about this .. she sued them fair play to her for being that offended about the invasion of privacy .. that was outrageous.

InariYana

I have yet to find a toy that beats a warm, steady stream of water from a shower head, at just the right angle... 

I saw a shower head with 5 settings recently and that's probably my next sex toy on the list :lol: 

Hope you're going to like your new toy! :) 

Nowhere Girl

I agree, but it has its disadvantages. I have a bathtub (without any additional sitting ledge), even though I hate taking a bath and I always just stand in my tub and take a shower. So to use the shower for autoerotic purposes comfortably, I need to sit down at the bottom. And unfortunately that's very uncomfortable - doing a full squat is authentically risky for my right knee. So I think my massager is a good choice - I can use it on the bed, and to get there I don't need to bend my knee at any extreme angles

InariYana

Oh I know what you mean! I have to squat in the bathtub and sometimes one of my legs goes a bit numb if I'm taking too long.

I had a little dolphin shaped massager ages ago and it was good, but the vibrations weren't hmm... right. Maybe not intense enough, I guess. That was like 15 years ago so I'm sure ones like yours can give a better performance and there are some totally crazy ones on the market! 

I'm also glad to see many sex toys aimed at men, which wasn't that common when I was younger. 

Nowhere Girl

Note that mine was not explicitely made for autoerotic use. But I prefer it this way, I would feel embarassed buying a sex toy, really... And at least it was cheap.

My legs sometimes get numb anyway during that process ;) even though I avoid doing squats because it's just too dangerous - reaching an orgasm usually takes so long... But my right knee is just damaged, it's not a healthy joint so I absolutely need to protect it. Probably at some point it will require surgery anyway.

roland.o
6 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I always just stand in my tub and take a shower.

Have you considered getting a shower chair? Or a bathtub shelf/seat?

Snao Cone

Shower chairs are generally marketed towards people who have a hard time standing up in the shower for medical reasons, but I think they have an untapped market in people who use the shower to, um, multi-task. :lol:

Nowhere Girl
23 minutes ago, roland.o said:

Have you considered getting a shower chair? Or a bathtub shelf/seat?

I didn't know there is such a thing... Thanks for the tip.