Should saying "all asexuals should be killed" be considered Hate Speech? Apparently Facebook doesn't think so...

Lost247365

Dont take it personally (the fact that theyre not taking the report seriously that is).  Facebook is completely fucking inept when it comes to reporting anything.  I've reported 2 examples of hate speech this week from overtly racist groups (including britain first) and just got the same response as usual:  "while this does not violate our terms....."

They're famous for it.  It looked like they might have been getting better but that has come and gone in the blink of an eye - business as usual now.

That is hate speech.. no one should say stuff like that about any group of people... I bet if this happened to the rest of the LGBTQ community people would be all over that person saying how cruel he is

On 9/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, Happy Halloween said:

I just think we shouldn't be telling people what opinions they can or can't hold. Yeah, Nazi's are dumb, but just believing as a Nazi does hurts no one. If they actually go out killing Jews or telling others to hurt Jews that's completely different. But clearly, you do not value freedom of speech like I do. I've tried to explain its importance, but we simply have different values. 

I disagree somewhat. No, believing as a Nazi hurts no one if they keep it to themselves, but expressing bigotry towards Jews can emotionally hurt people.

Aroacemusicalnerd

I do think the first comment was up for debate, the second one was definitely questionable.

I wonder if I would get comments/posts banned if I said we just hunt down all human stupidity and ignorance to extinction...

Also, did anyone understand Jesse's last post? It lacked punctuation, focus, and overall sentence structure. It looked like a crappy essay attempt when people are cornered so they throw in "big kid" words to try & sound smart, but you know they're full of bullshit, "the grim outlook of our future if we continue, and the reference to segregation." I'm sorry you feel that humans are not populating this planet enough, since that can be the only possible way aces contribute to this "grim outlook of our future". And I'm SO sorry you feel humans shouldn't feel segregated because of stupidity. *I can see you feeling trapped Jesse, you're so textbook. 

Flowertheflower

Welp, the first comment was definitely stupid.

'Just kill em all.'

(Probably never heard of Undertale :/)

The second one?

Stupid is an understatement!

How are aces contributing to a 'grim future'?!

We're not the ones overpopulating the earth!

And Facebook? I stopped using it years ago man.

I don't get why people still use it.

It has so many bad qualities and there are much better substitutes for it like twitter, instagram, tumblr, amino etc.

(Facebook is also full of creepy pedos)

And this not-doing-anything-about-serious-reports-that-violate-rules happens a lot.

Facebook doesn't care about people's wellbeing or safety.

Facebook only wants money.

This is why I don't bother with facebook, this is why I don't bother with tumblr, this is literally why I don't get involved with any of the wretched cesspools known as social media ... Oh yea and for the record EVERYONE comes out and says they're only "joking" when someone calls them out for going overboard. Sorry but that trick doesn't work. You can say anything about anything but once you bring "kill" or "murder" into it then its not a joke anymore. I'm sure if you called yourself joking about someone really important like that those same people that say its only a joke would get so butthurt and anal retended until they're anal sphincters would almost give out...

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
7 hours ago, Flowertheflower said:

And Facebook? I stopped using it years ago man.

I don't get why people still use it.

It has so many bad qualities and there are much better substitutes for it like twitter, instagram, tumblr, amino etc.

(Facebook is also full of creepy pedos)

And this not-doing-anything-about-serious-reports-that-violate-rules happens a lot.

Facebook doesn't care about people's wellbeing or safety.

Facebook only wants money.

I for the most part,have left Facebook alone as well.

Every time I report a post that obviously violates the rules, Facebook does nothing about it,<_<

1 hour ago, Nylocke said:

Oh yea and for the record EVERYONE comes out and says they're only "joking" when someone calls them out for going overboard. Sorry but that trick doesn't work. You can say anything about anything but once you bring "kill" or "murder" into it then its not a joke anymore. I'm sure if you called yourself joking about someone really important like that those same people that say its only a joke would get so butthurt and anal retended until they're anal sphincters would almost give out...

^^ This ☝👍👏

I understand perfectly, thanks.

I "understand" that I certainly wouldn't feel safe around someone like you because you apparently think "free speech" equates to freedom to be as much of a verbal jackass as you feel like, so long as you aren't actually physically hurting anyone.

Interesting. I wouldn't feel safe around someone who advocates for banning speech that they deem offensive. Being a verbal jackass should be protected at all cost. I definitely wouldn't want to live in a place that forbids it just because there are sensitive people like Philip027 who can't handle a little negative talk.

As an aside, your recent status updates remarking upon a distancing between you and your friends make a whole lot more sense to me after seeing your replies in this thread.

That is a low fricken blow that wasn't needed. 

On 9/9/2017 at 3:28 PM, FictoVore. said:

yes it's hate speech but I mean, this is the internet and facebook is useless. A couple of years ago thousands of people were petitioning to get a page taken down called 'kick pregnant women in the stomach', I signed the petition but have no idea how long it took them to take the page down. The fact that it was up for long enough that people needed to start petitioning to get it taken says everything that needs to be said. There's all so Project Harpoon and pages like that. Meh, this is just one of the many reasons why Facebook (especially anything involving asexuality there) should be avoided. I used to go on the AVEN facebook page but it was pretty much just a cesspit of hate (a lot of the self-identifying aces there were worse that the people who would go there to diss asexuality lol) so yeah, my advice, avoid Facebook. 

Yep, I avoid Facebook with the exception of two hair wrapping groups I belong to within that site. I only created a bare-bones profile just for those groups, and do nothing else at all on Facebook, or any other social media platform apart from AVEN.

That is a low fricken blow that wasn't needed. 

I think it was a reality check that was very much needed.

Interesting how you seem to be advocating for the right to be a verbal jackass but yet you think this is somehow going too far.  Interesting, and quite hypocritical.

And upon that note can we return to the topic at hand rather than individual's debating prowess, please. 

Skycaptain moderator musi-rants 

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

And upon that note can we return to the topic at hand rather than individual's debating prowess, please. 

Skycaptain moderator musi-rants 

Exactly.

14 hours ago, Philip027 said:

I think it was a reality check that was very much needed.

Interesting how you seem to be advocating for the right to be a verbal jackass but yet you think this is somehow going too far.  Interesting, and quite hypocritical.

It is petty to go personal on a discussion just because you hate the argument that the other is giving. Ever been to a debate and have one of the challengers start making fun of their opponent's looks?   No, it simply looks bad on you and does nothing to win your argument, and only shows you can't handle different opinions without going below the belt. Also, just as people have the right to make racist comments, you also have the right to tell them off. 

To be honest I am not surprised, if Facebook doesn't care about racism, fake news and anything else why would they care about acephobia? In my opinion Facebook generally does more harm than good. Also on the subject and I know I made a thread for this before but I am saying it again why can't we have an asexual option on Facebook? Or leave it write in like they do for religion and political ideology?

As for the hate speech versus free speech debate publically saying I want to kill or harm someone I am fairly sure is illegal anyway but more to the point as mentioned it is against their guidelines. Facebook is like a club that has the right to make their own rules within reason but then won't do anything when their members go against them. These people broke Facebook's own rules even. 

Why do they want us dead? We are relatively harmless and don't bother anyone... It's like I have an amalgamation of traits that make me enemy number 1: I'm autistic, ace and a minority. #triplethreat  💀💀💀

• 4 weeks later...
Lucas Monteiro
On 11/09/2017 at 11:46 PM, Happy Halloween said:

I just think we shouldn't be telling people what opinions they can or can't hold. Yeah, Nazi's are dumb, but just believing as a Nazi does hurts no one. If they actually go out killing Jews or telling others to hurt Jews that's completely different. But clearly, you do not value freedom of speech like I do. I've tried to explain its importance, but we simply have different values. 

Totally wrong, as in fact if you study History you will see that the Nazis will never hold to themselves their beliefs (and any extremist point). For one to be Nazi, he has to believe in the Aryan race, and how it has to be conquered through ever means possible. Do you truly think that someone with this in mind, would look to a Jew or other minorities and just let to themselves their opinion ? I don't think so. Give to these people total freedom of expression and you will see what they will do. After killing some people, they would give the excuse that they were just simply acting towards their duty, as like Himmler who would carry the "Bhagavad Gita" to not hold guilty, saying that he was simply doing what the warrior Arjuna did. The Germans learned the hard way, and now today if you try to do the "Nazi salute" you can go to jail, and even before going to jail, take some punches from people in the street. 

Facebook is awful on stuff like this in general.  Personally I would ignore posts like that, they are clearly sad pathetic trolls who probably still live in their mother's basement wondering why everyone hates them.

On 09/09/2017 at 6:07 PM, cavalier080854 said:

Hate speech is still free speech. I have heard this many Times in the past. They do not mean it. This is the essence of trolling. Ignore them, all you do is validate them. But that said, I understand where you are coming from. Maybe my age is giving me a more mellow perspective.

Pretty much. I think it qualifies as hate speech but they seem to be trolling. Regardless FB picks and chooses what they want to enforce cause people have been banned for saying less horrid things than what op pointed out. 😧

It's a stupid thing to say, but I personally don't really mind all that much. There's not even any way they could possibly do something like that, and they're obviously just a pathetic troll, especially the second person who posted the most boring and bland thing of all time, a triggered gif. The worst thing they did was be unoriginal.

That's just my perspective though, if anyone is offended by it you have the right to feel that way too. Maybe they should have been banned, because there's definitely some other groups of people you could have replaced "asexuals" with that would have gotten them banned. Perhaps it's a double standard.

I think its hate speech but I would have asked what they thought that would solve if we were all dead?

In all honestly I would be much more concerned about speech like that toward vulnerable individuals like the homeless, mentally ill, elderly etc.

• 1 month later...

This is definitely hate speech and it’s disgusting. I don’t get how suggested genocide of over 70 million people would ever be okay. If it was an article about gay people, or Muslims, or any other group of people, this wouldn’t fly, so why do we have to endure hatred from ***holes just because we would rather eat cake and draw pictures of dragons? 

Mark Zuckerberg has his own agenda - counting his squillions of dollars, and giving tokenism support to other social groups with significantly more power

If people want to attack aces verbally, then I ignore them. They're unfortunately people who will shout out loud for gay rights, but treat aces like a diseased animal, yet see themselves as a beacon of morality

Ignorance is unfortunately the way for these people, and I do not blame them entirely for it as aces are sometimes grossly misunderstood. It's no excuse, but people are sometimes just arses. Don't focus on these people. They're an absolute minority

Pity them, because we know who we are, and honestly, I don't need the approval of others to be happy. If people want to think I'm somehow inferior, then let them. I know what I'm worth, so why should I let others ignorance affect that?

Archived