"Back in the day..."

Snao Cone

18 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Palovana, much jelly, I really want to see The Boss one day, and reading his autobiography has only enhanced this 

I like all his albums up until Born in the USA. Became quite a bit different once he started working with session musicians. I guess Lucky Town was okay. I love the E Street Band though. I was fortunate to see both Danny and Clarence before they died. My dad is from Brooklyn and I have very clear memories from my childhood of traveling around in Staten Island and New Jersey visiting relatives and listening to Bruce. My dad use to travel for work when I was very young, and I remember riding in the backseat across America listening to The River and Born in the USA especially. It was a different experience.

I just clicked the link and played a bit of Born to Run. Highly amused that a clickable link to 'Dad Rock list' comes up after a minute or so. Dad rock, eh? So funny!

6 hours ago, Palovana said:

I don't even know who Ed Sheeran is. :lol: 

But I know the type you're talking about, and I'm sure I wouldn't like him.

This clown:

TELEMMGLPICT000133991139_trans_NvBQzQNjv

When I think of a sleeve of tats, this is what comes to mind:

tommy-lee-brittany-furlan.jpg

Speaking of 'sleeves', I was eating lunch on a sidewalk in Burlington Ontario why spending an afternoon cycling. Four women were brought out to a table near mine. One of them appeared to be wearing a long sleeve T shirt with flames on it. I never thought anything until later when she returned to the table from being inside the restaurant. Boy was I surprised when I realized that the flames were ink and she was wearing a regular black T shirt. 

6 minutes ago, Palovana said:

@will123 Ed Sheeran looks like a pubescent toddler. I mean I'm just saying... :lol:

LMAO!

@Skycaptain Speaking of Springsteen

There used to be better quality of this performance on youtube, and in color, but couldn't find it. Anyway, the guitar duel with Miami Steve at 3:45 is SICK. What bands even have guitar duels nowadays? Are they even capable of a guitar duel? Do they even know what a guitar duel is?? Do the kids who listen to them even know what a guitar duel is???

Related image

Back in the day we didn't have TV! OK...thats a lie...we did...but we didn't have Netflix no siree! 

10 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

Back in the day we didn't have TV! OK...thats a lie...we did...but we didn't have Netflix no siree! 

Seeing you're from Guelph, you might've been in the same boat as us east of Toronto. Two channels out of Toronto, one in Hamilton and the three US networks in Buffalo.

The only thing I know about Ed Sheeran is the song he did for the movie version of The Hobbit. I like that song. Don't know any of his other works.

As for tattoos, I think they are cool. So does my 80+ year old mother (she has a quite a few and is well known at her local tattoo shop). :P

(I don't have any myself - yet)

51 minutes ago, Palovana said:

@daveb Your mom sounds like a total badass. :lol: 

Among other things she is very artistic and musical; she used to play electric bass in a garage band 30+ years ago.

Putting extra sugar on my Sugar Smacks and watching Saturday morning cartoons. Then Wide World of Sports where I got to watch Sumo with my grandmother. Yes, you read that right. I live in the Southern U.S. so yeah, Sumo with my grandmother.

Times two on the Wide World of Sports!

imnotafreakofnature!

Back in the day......

.....we had vinyl records and 8-track tapes

.....we attached a playing card with a clothespin to our bicycle spokes to make noise

.....we wrote letters, on paper and by hand, with pens or pencils (if you were lucky, your mom let you use her typewriter), and mailed them in envelopes with addresses and stamps on them

.....telephones had a handle/receiver that was placed in a "cradle" on top of the phone and had a cord that plugged into the wall, as well as a curly cord attached to the handle; how far you could walk from the phone depended on how long your curly cord was and how far it could stretch; also, phones had one ring tone - an obnoxious ringing bell sound; also, the only way someone could get in touch with you was if you happened to be home - even answering machines hadn't been invented yet; and you had no way of knowing who was calling because there was no caller ID - you had to actually answer the phone to know who was on the other end

.....freedom of speech was still honored; I remember often seeing t-shirts and bumper stickers that said, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it"

.....mood rings were the "in" thing - you were nobody if you didn't have one

.....there were no VCRs or DVR; if you weren't home when your favorite show was on, you didn't get to see it that week; of course, there were only a handful of tv stations, and a far more limited selection of favorite shows available; you also couldn't pause a show while you ran to the fridge for a snack, and you couldn't back it up if you missed something

.....computers, used only by government and some large universities, took up a whole room

Ahhhhhh.........the good old days!

1 hour ago, imnotafreakofnature! said:

....we wrote letters, on paper and by hand, with pens or pencils (if you were lucky, your mom let you use her typewriter), and mailed them in envelopes with addresses and stamps on them

I still send snail mail! I love picking out notecards or postcards and sending them "just because."

And remember the tissue-thin stationery used for airmail letters? I adored the crinkliness of it.... 😊

I like using fountain pens and good paper. A few years ago I realized that I had reverted to printing and started writing in cursive again. 

8 minutes ago, froglady said:

I like using fountain pens and good paper. A few years ago I realized that I had reverted to printing and started writing in cursive again. 

My writing wasn't the best when I wrote a lot, now it's horrible. Taking drafting in high school and being in shops over my working career, I usually printed in caps to prevent any errors in writing. Even now when I leave a note it's in caps. If I do write someone I'll print using upper and lower case.

My nephew who is almost 21 never did learn cursive writing and it shows. His signature looks like it was written by a seven year old.

Speaking of learning, in the old days we were taught the four functions of math in a simple way. In the years to follow, educators have dreamed up ways to make these simple things difficult. From what I read, my brother wasn't the only parent to have arguments over the math being taught. I'm not the greatest mathematician, but I can't see the logic in the methods. These 'educators' say there is more than one way to find a solution.

These clowns would re-invent Pythagorean Theory if they could.

My cursive isn't that great. I guess using it is sort of an act of rebellion or something. I got some Spencerian penmanship workbooks and used to sit in the museum, when I still worked there, and practice. I alternated engaging in various anachronistic behaviors. Tatting, beading , knitting, reading books, practicing penmanship, knife sharpening, whatever. Now, I do those thing at home as needed.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

May parents only got a TV when I was 6 months old-before that there was just the radio. Even so, there was one channel -BBC one and it only started in the afternoon then closed down around 10pm.

Back in the day a bottle of Jack Daniel's didn't cost £25 (that may be a tonight problem)

imnotafreakofnature!
36 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

May parents only got a TV when I was 6 months old-before that there was just the radio. Even so, there was one channel -BBC one and it only started in the afternoon then closed down around 10pm.

TV had been around for quite a few years before I came along, but I do remember getting a color TV shortly after Joan and Kyle got married, and how excited I was to watch my Saturday morning cartoons in color for the first time! Even so, they were also old-time radio show fans. I actually remember listening to CBS Radio Mystery Theater in the late 70s if I was still awake when it came on. To this day, I love and listen to OTR - most are available for free online. Some of my favorites include Fibber McGee and Molly, CBS Radio Mystery Theater, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy (as much as I love the show, I still haven't figured out how a ventriloquist made it on the radio!), many of the private investigator/mystery shows like Johnny Dollar and Candy Matson, and a British series called Men From the Ministry.

59 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

I think you mean

the BBC

BBC one indeed. That didn't happen until about 1967 when BBC2 came along.

1 hour ago, chandrakirti said:

My mum bought a TV when I was two and a half, which is around two and a half years after TVs became widely available in Australia. She bought it when my dad died, along with some goodies for me (tricycle and dolls). We had ABC and two commercial channels - Channel 9 and Channel 7. I can't remember what time each channel started but I think it was early morning and I think it closed around midnight - I was asleep long before then!

My exposure to TV began at age 13 when I moved into a house where the previous occupants had left one behind. I was allowed to watch a very limited amount of I love Lucy and Gilligans Island.  I never really acquired a taste for it. I am ok with that but if someone tries to explain something to me in terms a a TV show I get really confused.

9 minutes ago, froglady said:

My exposure to TV began at age 13 when I moved into a house where the previous occupants had left one behind. I was allowed to watch a very limited amount of I love Lucy and Gilligans Island.  I never really acquired a taste for it.I am ok with that but if someone tries to explain something to me in terms a a TV show I get really confused.

That's not surprising LOL

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@froglady, my mum was like that with films...being born in rural 1920, films were unthinkable. She did eventually settle down and watch two films  'Dances with Wolves' and 'the green mile' , but I never saw her get into any other storylines on TV or film.

But - her writing was fantastic! She had that fancy style full of flourishes and loops that you just don't see nowadays.I'd love to do Calligraphy - good for you in taking up this art form.:cake:

We didn't get a tv till I was 8 or so. Sort of half remember going to a neighbour's to watch the Coronation but that was in black and white and I only dimly remember it anyway. We had a 'Bush' tv and, yes only one channel that started early evening and finished around 10pm. They played the National Anthem and then the screen faded to a little white dot that eventually died. My uncle Bill got a tv long before us (show off!!) and had it behind a sort of magnifying glass screen to make it bigger - could drive a car could uncle Bill - he was rich...had a car and telephone too :o 

*And I rather like Ed Sheeran and 'Rag and Bone Man' (amazing voice)

Back in the day trains ran to time :mad::mad:

Archived