"Back in the day..."

Snao Cone

On 9/7/2017 at 5:12 PM, Mocha Jo said:

Back in the day I would live for the weekend when I could get on my pony and disappear for many hours at a time with no cell phone or any way for anyone to know where I was. It was lovely.

I did the same on my bike.

Back in the day:

Bullying was accepted at school as part of growing up, but at least you could get away from it when you weren't at school.

I was asked to leave my work experience placement as I turned up in trousers and wouldn't wear a skirt.

I hated free school milk! Yack!

Cool toys and TV programmes though - Scooby Doo, Grange Hill, Thundercats!

Positives and negatives....

On 9/10/2017 at 2:43 AM, October Country said:

Back in the day, this was the worst thing that could happen...

FFKMMZNHERLT9HZ.MEDIUM.jpg

And untangling the mess was a nightmare, even if you had a pencil handy.

Back in the day TV finished each night with a playing of the National Anthem at about 11.30 pm. And didn't start again until well after noon the following day.

19 hours ago, Tystie said:

Speaking of sweets, you used to be able to buy packets of sweet cigarettes. From what I can remember, they looked like white sticks of chalk with a pink or red tip. We'd pretend to smoke them while we ate them. Glad to say, I never did graduate onto 'proper' cigarettes, but I can't help wonder whether they were a gateway product, designed to lure you in...

Had the candy cigarettes, but also grew up with two parents who'd been smoking since their teens and I never picked up the habit. My sister on the other hand did (though I think she picked it up during a trip to Germany with her AYSO Rep Team trip ...) circa 1988.

@Blackthorn, agrees, one of Maggie Thatcher's best moves was abolishing school milk. I once threw mine out of the window, and my parents got called in to see the head teacher. They had to explain that I just hated the smell and taste, and even as a seven year old ate dry Shreddies for breakfast

Grange Hill was decades ahead of its time, a triumph of state funded television 

6 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

And untangling the mess was a nightmare, even if you had a pencil handy.

I don't miss the "good old days" when you often saw unspooled cassettes strewn along the roadside.

Maybe it was different in the US, but I never had any problem with the milk in the school cafeterias. Now, "government cheese" is another story! :P

I hated the chocolate milk that was at the school, the regular milk was okay though. The other kids thought I was weird because of that.

Back in the day we had "Adult Buildings." That's an apartment building in which no children are allowed to live or visit, only adults. No, I'm not making that up. Almost this whole neighbourhood of about 20 apartment buildings was adult buildings. I think there were only THREE buildings in which families with children were allowed.

12 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

Back in the day we had "Adult Buildings." That's an apartment building in which no children are allowed to live or visit, only adults. No, I'm not making that up. Almost this whole neighbourhood of about 20 apartment buildings was adult buildings. I think there were only THREE buildings in which families with children were allowed.

I guess they wanted their peace and quiet, that seems a bit extreme though. 

Just now, m4rble said:

I guess they wanted their peace and quiet, that seems a bit extreme though. 

The Disco Generation preceded my generation by between 5 and 10 years. As young adults (18-25) many were very much into the single one-night-stand lifestyle. While they made a big deal of being supposedly "sexually liberated" they were in fact highly conformist both in bed and in general life. I don't have very good memories or a very good opinion of them.

The only way I drank 2% milk was when it had chocolate in it and actually tasted like milk. Don't get me started on that skim and fat free crap.bleh

4 hours ago, daveb said:

Maybe it was different in the US, but I never had any problem with the milk in the school cafeterias. Now, "government cheese" is another story! :P

I also never had issues with school milk.  But that government cheese was something else.  My dad was on social security therefore he qualified for the free cheese.  It came in three pound loaves and it was kind of like Velveta but didn't taste as good.  In fact, it burned my mouth once, possibly form all the chemicals in it?

17 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I also never had issues with school milk.  But that government cheese was something else.  My dad was on social security therefore he qualified for the free cheese.  It came in three pound loaves and it was kind of like Velveta but didn't taste as good.  In fact, it burned my mouth once, possibly form all the chemicals in it?

May I ask whether "government cheese" is the same thing as "American cheese" except that it's not in individually wrapped slices? If so, I used to love the stuff as a kid but ended up feeling that it tastes like a petroleum product and stopped eating it.

I don't like that "American cheese" in the individual wrappers, but it's gourmet cheese compared to "government cheese". :P

Don't know about Government cheese, but President Camembert is tasty 

Autumn Sunrise

I'm another renegade who refused to drink school milk. I don't know whether my mother had a quiet word in someone's ear, but thankfully no one ever tried to force me to drink it. I hated milk for most of my life, but oddly, I loved milk puddings. Even more oddly, I really enjoy a glass of milk now - second childhood, maybe? :lol:

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Our school milk used to sit in a crate at the front of the class all morning. By first break, it was beautifully lukewarm....hence, I only tried it once! It put me off milk till I was well into adulthood!

Back in the day, I used to run home from school and straight to the local telephone box where, for 2p , I could listen to 'dial a disc'. the one I remember most of all was 'Young Girl', which was a Motown classic, but I'm darned if I can remember who sang it!

25 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Our school milk used to sit in a crate at the front of the class all morning. By first break, it was beautifully lukewarm....hence, I only tried it once! It put me off milk till I was well into adulthood!

Back in the day, I used to run home from school and straight to the local telephone box where, for 2p , I could listen to 'dial a disc'. the one I remember most of all was 'Young Girl', which was a Motown classic, but I'm darned if I can remember who sang it!

I could hum the chorus to Young Girl now. 

Young girl get out of my mind

My love for you is way out of line

Better run, girl

You're just too young, girl!

It's rather sleazy, really, isn't it?

17 minutes ago, daveb said:

Oh gosh, I remember "Young Girl," and now it's running through my head... scary to see it came out when I was barely 10 (and too naive to get the theme). :o

I'm blanking on "school milk." But since my mother always packed us lunch (in either a TV-show-themed lunchbox or else one I decorated using decoupage, as was a trend at the time), I probably paid no attention to what they served in my grade school cafeteria.

I guess the idea is the guy singing it may not be much older than the girl, but she's under age and it would be bad for them to pursue a relationship. I don't think it implies that she isn't just as interested as he is.

A lot of old songs can come off sounding sleazy or creepy or sexist if you parse them certain ways. Too bad when that gets stuck in your head. Some of them are good tunes, catchy, fun, whatever. I try to enjoy them for what they were/are. :)

10 minutes ago, daveb said:

I guess the idea is the guy singing it may not be much older than the girl, but she's under age and it would be bad for them to pursue a relationship. I don't think it implies that she isn't just as interested as he is.

A lot of old songs can come off sounding sleazy or creepy or sexist if you parse them certain ways. Too bad when that gets stuck in your head. Some of them are good tunes, catchy, fun, whatever. I try to enjoy them for what they were/are. :)

there was a thread a few months ago about "I'll be watching you" by The Police, suggesting the singer was a stalker.

Just now, Midland Tyke said:

there was a thread a few months ago about "I'll be watching you" by The Police, suggesting the singer was a stalker.

Yep.

There's Private Eyes by Hall and Oates, also rather stalker-y

Centerfold by J. Geils Band, rather creepy and stalker-y, too

Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel, where he talks about "don't go changing" in a way that sounds like he doesn't want her to be intelligent.

And several songs about 16 year old girls by Neil Sedaka, Ringo Starr, Billy Idol, etc., that could be considered cringe-worthy if you examine the songs 

And stuff like:

Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band, which is all about having sex in the afternoon (less creepy than the other songs, but I didn't realize for the longest time that it was about sex)

11 minutes ago, daveb said:

Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band, which is all about having sex in the afternoon (less creepy than the other songs, but I didn't realize for the longest time that it was about sex)

Ha ha. Me too!

When I was 12 (in 1970) my favorite song was "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry! Here are some of the lyrics:

In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Hmmmmm. I of course had no idea what I was singing about, but I most definitely did not have women (or anyone else) on my mind, nor was I going out to see what I could find!

My tween friends and I used to sing "camp songs" with lyrics about "prudes" and "virgins" and something about "swinging on the outhouse door." We heard the songs from some older girls and just mimicked them, never stopping to wonder what the heck we were repeating. :huh:

Archived