"Back in the day..."

Snao Cone

9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

^^one thing I miss living alone is playing board games 

There are games that are designed for solo players. A lot of the games I play are like that. I understand that's not for everyone though, and I do also enjoy playing board games with other people when I get the chance. They're 2 different experiences. :) 

This one may only be a British thing, but cups of hot Bovril at half time in football matches. Very welcome, especially during a midwinter game 

So last year I was at a gaming expo here and played a wee bit of old school Doom (my favourit game of all time) playing some deathmatch (most kills wins, for the non gamers). in the LAN area.

At 1 point some kids came up to play but got frustrated easily complaining "How can you win when you only start with a pistol and no loadout options?" I had to resist the urge to say "Back in my day, we all started off with only pistols and won with map control. We didn't need or want loadouts to select starting weapons."

I'm not even 30 yet and I've got back in my day moments already

arekathevampyre
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

This one may only be a British thing, but cups of hot Bovril at half time in football matches. Very welcome, especially during a midwinter game 

bring me back to my younger days where I drink bovril as soup :)

16 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

bring me back to my younger days where I drink bovril as soup :)

Ha! Had to Google this, as I had no idea what you guys were talking about!....

back in the day I wasn't said all the time because I didn't live with regret and mood swings, but my anxiety is getting a little better.

Back in my day teachers would Ditto handwritten sheets for class handouts, and when we went to the reference library we'd Xerox pages from books.

I just came across a reference to Bovril, in a Simon Templar/The Saint novel that was published in 1938. :P 

Back in the day I used to sit drinking hot Bovril in the swimming baths cafe with my dad.

Strange, much prefer Marmite on toast. 

On 07/09/2017 at 4:49 AM, Tja said:

Ageism...how lovely...<_<...no offense, kiddies...I'm just a gross old person...

I think that's the point of us all being here :P

Elftober Country

Back in the day, this was the worst thing that could happen...

FFKMMZNHERLT9HZ.MEDIUM.jpg

3 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

I think that's the point of us all being here :P

Young whippersnapper!:Pold%20man%20waving%20cane.gif

I remember the low tech toys like the slinky,  the frisby, toy cap guns, hoola hoops and moon boots.  Outdoor games like tag, war, and kick the can.  I can remember out first color TV and it cost my parents over one month's salary.

There was only one telephone in the house, a rotary dial phone, and we shared a "party line" with the neighbors.   Fans, not A/C, cooled the hot house during the summer, and evenings were spent on the porch outside. 

Elftober Country

Back in the day, I had to share a bike with my brother, despite our considerable height difference. I loved this beast 8)

file.php?id=231910

Black and white television with only two or three channels. Yep, @Skycaptain, I remember the excitement of Channel 4 arriving!

People smoking in pubs and cinemas. Now, that's something I'm delighted we no longer have! Oh, and people smoking in the workplace! Ugh, I shudder to think about it now!

Buses with drivers who sat in a separate cab and conductors who would say, "There you go, m'lover!" when you bought your ticket. (That was partly a regional thing, too. Political correctness or the notion of having to project a proper corporate image put an end to the practice, though.)

No computers. I didn't get my first go on a word processor until I was in grad school. 

No social media. (Friends were face-to-face friends, not facebook friends!)

Slide rules and log tables. My year cohort was the last one where the school was given the choice of using a slide rule or a calculator in our maths 'O' level exams. My school chose slide rules!

No mobile phones! And when mobile phones did begin, it was years until I thought about getting one because they really only covered city areas. (Actually, I still have lousy mobile reception. Ah, I dream of 3G, let alone 4G!)

Payphones in lovely red phone boxes. This is particularly on my mind at the moment because I saw a very derelict one recently. There was a notice in it saying that BT had removed all its equipment and ownership of the box had past over to the local community. Next to it was a huge mobile phone mast, a real case of old and new standing side by side.

What freaks me out is when I see things that I used to use in museums. Most of the time I don't notice that the world has moved on until that happens. Then I have a real "Whoah! Wait a minute!" moment.

52 minutes ago, Tystie said:

What freaks me out is when I see things that I used to use in museums. Most of the time I don't notice that the world has moved on until that happens. Then I have a real "Whoah! Wait a minute!" moment.

I recall being on a family trip to the Smithsonian and my mother seeing toys on exhibit that were the kind she'd played with as a child. I'm sure I must have rolled my eyes at that. Now I know just how she felt!

I'm also struck by those "back in the day" standard excuses that today's technology has rendered invalid,  such as:

"Well, I tried to call you." No you didn't, or your number would show on my caller ID.

"Sorry I missed your event, I couldn't find the place." You expect me to believe you don't have Google Maps? :P

1 hour ago, Tystie said:

Slide rules and log tables. My year cohort was the last one where the school was given the choice of using a slide rule or a calculator in our maths 'O' level exams. My school chose slide rules!

I also recall that when the first small calculators came out, we weren't allowed to use them in class. I never could make heads or tails of a slide rule, so I'm glad I barely had to use one before math technology moved on. :rolleyes:

When I had the polio vaccine it was by needle - no sugar cube for us :( . We used to spend most of the summer holidays at an open air pool (where I learned to swim by being pushed in 16' of water) but the pool was closed that year.

We had nothing but didn't have tv showing us what we didn't have so didn't care...everyone was in the same boat :D 

Sugar was rationed till 1953, so I didn't have sweets as a child - it took some years for the factories to get into production.

Speaking of sweets, you used to be able to buy packets of sweet cigarettes. From what I can remember, they looked like white sticks of chalk with a pink or red tip. We'd pretend to smoke them while we ate them. Glad to say, I never did graduate onto 'proper' cigarettes, but I can't help wonder whether they were a gateway product, designed to lure you in...

10 hours ago, Tystie said:

Black and white television with only two or three channels. Yep, @Skycaptain, I remember the excitement of Channel 4 arriving!

Some of us remember BBC2 coming. And the advent of colour. Dad somehow got selected to review TV programmes (on a paper form, of course) for a fortnight when BBC2 went colour. We were asked to not view anything solely to review it, but to review anything that we did watch. It was IN COLOUR. We watched loads.

1 hour ago, Tystie said:

Speaking of sweets, you used to be able to buy packets of sweet cigarettes. From what I can remember, they looked like white sticks of chalk with a pink or red tip. We'd pretend to smoke them while we ate them. Glad to say, I never did graduate onto 'proper' cigarettes, but I can't help wonder whether they were a gateway product, designed to lure you in...

Ooooh, I LOVED candy cigarettes!! Those were in the 60s--haven't thought about those in ages. (And no, I didn't become a smoker, either.)

I was using candy cigarettes in the 90s too and I'm not a smoker either.

14 hours ago, October Country said:

Back in the day, this was the worst thing that could happen...

FFKMMZNHERLT9HZ.MEDIUM.jpg

I did that to my parents' cassettes all the time when I was like 3. xD

47 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

I did that to my parents' cassettes all the time when I was like 3. xD

And they kept you?? :o:P

1 hour ago, teatree said:

Ooooh, I LOVED candy cigarettes!! Those were in the 60s--haven't thought about those in ages. (And no, I didn't become a smoker, either.)

You can still find candy cigarettes for sale. They were too chalky-tasting (not just chalky-looking) for me, so I never progressed from them to the real thing. :mellow:

It's fun to also still come across button candy and Pez. If only I'd known back in the day that Pez dispensers would become collectors' items! Same with my childhood Barbie watch. :unsure:

4 hours ago, Tystie said:

Yep.  They were a gateway to the real thing for me.  They even came in packs that looked like real sigs with similar names.  You could be just like the people in commercials for cigarettes on TV.  Even Fred Flinstone smoked Winstons.     I started using  candy cigs at age eight and then used tobacco for the next 40 years.

Archived