"Back in the day..."

Snao Cone

What sort of "Back in the day..." statements do you find yourself making these days? Do any of them pertain to a/sexuality? I mean, aside from the obvious ones like "Back in the day AVEN didn't exist!" :P

A lot of my reflection of this variety surrounds how I didn't have a cell phone until I was in my 20s, so it wasn't as easy for my parents to track where I was. Some kids still had to check in by phoning from their friend's house or a payphone, but there was still a level of trust that I think may just be too convenient for parents to bypass. This also meant less of my interaction was logged and potentially monitored. Instead of texting we passed notes in class, which could be destroyed if necessary (though I kept a file of many of them, for posterity's sake), or just waited until we could sit and talk before saying things. Emailing wasn't even all that common even though most of us had internet access at home. I wasn't identifying as asexual then, so it's not like my parents could raid my note stash and force me out of the closet, so I wonder how much of a difference that makes between me in my teens and teenagers today.

What are your most common "Back in the day..." thoughts?

My brother just came up with the best imitation of all of the BS comments old people make today. In an old man voice he said, "Back in my day we walked to school. Now when kids are walking, they aren't going to school." I asked him where they were going and he responded, "....whorehouses!"

:blink::lol:

5 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

My brother just came up with the best imitation of all of the BS comments old people make today. In an old man voice he said, "Back in my day we walked to school. Now when kids are walking, they aren't going to school." I asked him where they were going and he responded, "....whorehouses!"

:blink::lol:

I think it's more common to hear old people talk about how they used to go to whorehouses, while these days kids are having sex with each other in relationships. "Dagnabbit, when I was 16 my daddy took me to the nearest brothel and paid a hooker to make me a man! Now kids these days are having discussions with their sweethearts about losing their virginity together! Or they're not having sex at all! Bah, the world has gone upside down, with fathers not taking sons to whorehouses anymore!" (I doubt any AVEN folks say that kind of thing, though. :D)

Elftober Country

Back in the day, I thought I was just gay, simple times...

I used to use "Back in my day" phrases to say how much more worse my life was due to childhood abuse. ^_^ 

#ruinsmood

I was also poor, and usually years behind the times. Did the same thing. :/

#GodhatesFun

Haha, well we really did play outside and walk to school. But we watched a lot of TV too.

We would just walk over to our friends' houses and if they weren't at home, we'd simply walk back...

My first year of high school involved dial up internet and neopets.

I can remember the excitement when we got a fourth TV channel. 

Back in the day you could buy a new kettle element rather than a whole new kettle 

Back in the day....I can't remember as I'm one of those gross old people.   

I haven't really arrived in this(?) time. 

6 hours ago, Snao Çoñé said:

less of my interaction was logged and potentially monitored

Hm. - How far are contemporary parents going? 

I heard the police will tell them the rough area where their runaway kids' phones are logged into the network. But do parents monitor their kids online utterings? Or just trace what might have happened later, after disaster stroke? What does a "trace kid on Google maps" service cost per month? - Is it worth it? Aren't trust talking and in worst cases a bit of government interference still the way to go?

Ageism...how lovely...<_<...no offense, kiddies...I'm just a gross old person...

Remember that telephones not only had a cable that attached them to the wall, but also a wheel for dialing the number?

Pertaining to sexuality: Back in the 90s, my friends told me I should relax. Nowadays, I wonder if I should have listened to them :D No, not really. I did listen, I just didn't know how to follow their advice.

cavalier080854

Nobody had a home phone. The public phoneboxes had A and B buttons as well as a dial wheel. Radios had accumulator for power and were taken to be charged. TV'S  were in black and white when we got our first one. The National anthem, was played at the end of every evening on TV. Records were played on a Dancet. Central heating didn't exist. My whereabouts were checked by keeping me in a harness and kept on a leash. I was in shorts till I was 12. I learnt to swim at 10 when the first swimming pool opened in my town. Polio vaccines were given via the pink sugar cubes. Skate boarding was an Annual book placed on a my sister's rollerskate. My first house task was to take the ashes out, make and light the fire aged 5 so my mother had heating for the hot water and warmth for the day. Our first car was an Austin 7. Christmas decorations were all handmade, as well as Halloween costumes. Roman candle fireworks had handles for you to hold them. Petrol was 2s 6d for a gallon. My first alcoholic drink was a whiskey for Christmas aged 5. School dinners were 3 courses. Free milk was available for all school kids. Pocket money was 6d a week. Supermarkets didn't exist. People were paid in cash, very few people had a bank account. 1963 was the year of the biggest dump of snow in my time, strangely no one lost a day of school. A light dusting of snow brings the country to a halt now. No kid had a wristwatch.

straightouttamordor

We stayed outside a lot. Rode bikes like Lance Armstrong. Hell, there were only 3 or 4 channels on t.v. Those were dependent on signal strength from VHF or UHF. Storms or radio interference could wreck your favorite show. The "news" came on all channels between 5:00 and 6:00 and you the consumer had no choice but watch one of them. It was Walter Cronkite and pass the gravy. No telemarketers ringing the corded rotary phone in the kitchen at dinner.

Then we finally got Atari then Nintendo. Then big hair and mullets and lots of bad hair metal from Japan and MTV actually played music. 

That was how it rolled back in the 70s and 80s day.

arekathevampyre

back in the day when everything was simple , fun and innocent . 

music was meaningful and not just full of sexy stuff .

people had lesser ill intentions . 

movies were not b grade stuff with overly CGI scenes . 

life was slower . 

and the world was less hateful and judgemental . 

pre smartphone (I mean when I had those phones with buttons on them)  .

Real fun and joy playing games and stuff . 

Honestly I am not that old but I really prefer those simple , less tiring days 

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Carson:) said:

Back in the day when you didn't need to worry about anything.

yup . Sums it all up from what I have said . lol

6 hours ago, Tja said:

Ageism...how lovely...<_<...no offense, kiddies...I'm just a gross old person...

17 hours ago, Sally said:

Back in the day....I can't remember as I'm one of those gross old people.   

me, too. :P 

I try to avoid "back in the day" statements that make value judgments about people then vs people now or the "world" or "society" or whatever. First, there are plenty of pluses and minuses all around; second, I don't see much point in it. :P

Now get off my lawn while I braid my my ear hairs! 

6 minutes ago, daveb said:

I try to avoid "back in the day" statements that make value judgments about people then vs people now or the "world" or "society" or whatever. First, there are plenty of pluses and minuses all around; second, I don't see much point in it. :P

I find myself making them out of fascination at this point, like a cultural exchange. :P There's nothing wrong with how things are today...well, at least not any more wrong than they were for my childhood. :P

I do this all the time with my niece. Only, it's more along the lines of "you know My Little Pony and Transformers started back when I was your age."

Back in the day ... Hmmm

TV was simpler with 3 - 5 channels and cartoon were just cartoons (I have nothing against anime, it's just sometimes ...).

The Wonderful World of Disney was still on.

Little House on the Prairie tried to cover every type of plot in existence, including some they probably shouldn't've, because they were trying to cover as broad a spectrum as possible in an era with few channels.

Saturday morning cartoons were going strong, before live action shows stole the fun. 

Long before Reading Rainbow 💜, ABC had a show dedicated to adapting books to screen with The ABC Weekend Special.  It was one of my favorites. Anyone remember The Trouble with Miss Switch?

It wasn't so much about old people actually being gross as it was about making a ridiculous, broad statement.

For the record, we are all disgusting animals. Including myself. Because science.

The Beatles. Just saying. :D i remember watching them on the Ed Sullivan Show.

My first TV crush was Mr. Spock, when the original series first aired.

The precursor to HBO - I think it was called Channel 100 - kept showing Gone With the Wind. I watched it 8 times in the the course of a week or so.

When I was quite young, the whole family would sit at the kitchen table and play cards or board games or do jigsaw puzzles. I still remember that as some of the happiest times of my life.

In summer time, on weekends, the aunts, uncles, cousins would visit and we kids would play games (mostly some form of "tag") outside until well after dark.

^^one thing I miss living alone is playing board games 

Back in the day I would live for the weekend when I could get on my pony and disappear for many hours at a time with no cell phone or any way for anyone to know where I was. It was lovely.

Archived