Do I need to "come out" as asexual to my friends and family?

spiritedawaygirl

spiritedawaygirl

I'm considering coming out to my closest friends and family, although one already suspected that I'm asexual, and my family and closest friends are very non-judgmental, and always there for me. Is it a good idea?

You don't owe it to anyone, but if you want to, then go ahead :) 

Be prepared for insensitive comments though. You should have answers ready for if that happens.

• Like 2

As someone who is currently questioning their sexuality, in particular the fact that I might be asexual, I too have felt this way. The only person who I've shared my thoughts with is my best friend, as we both were hinting to each other that we might be asexual. It definitely brought us closer together as we hadn't expressed these feelings with anyone else.

However, I have no plans on telling my family or other friends as not only am I still unsure about my sexuality, I might also be homoromantic and since my friends/some family members already know that I have an attraction to men (I thought I was gay for a few years) telling them I may be ace/homoromantic, wouldn't really change much for me (although some of my friends would be very confused and quite frankly its not a discussion i want to get involved in with them at the moment!) 

If you find that you can trust your friends and that they understand you, coming out can be a big relief. Often, I feel like it allows you to be more honest about other things too. However you might want to consider whether it's worth the risk, for example if one of your friends/family members accidentally tells someone else who may spread this information, it could hurt you if you're not ok with everyone knowing. If you believe you're ready and have a strong support system, coming out can be a really positive experience. 

Hope this has been helpful and good luck with everything! 

That's entirely up to you, and you can also pick and choose whom to share with. I've only come out to two people in my personal life, but I'm not all that close to anyone else anyway (very introverted).

I also came out to a closed FB group - that was interesting. The group is centered around Jungian interests where some are Jungian professionals and others are lay people, and there was a post about asexuality, so I thought what the heck, and commented that I was ace. Very mixed responses to the entire topic of asexuality. But it was interesting, because it gave me an idea of how the general public responds.

The_Reluctant_Dragon

If you want to, and you think they are going to react well, go for it. But, you don't have to.

I considered it, but never really felt a need to. It's just not a big deal to me, and I don't really think that it matters. My friends and family will observe my behavior, and I doubt that them knowing that I use this specific term to describe myself would alter their perception of my behavior that much. And even if it does, I'd rather it be seen as something closer to a personality trait than some sort of identity. I just don't want to be seen as any sort of novelty, and I don't think that my behavior needs any explanation further than "I'm happy with the way things are right now."

• Like 1

I am still debating with myself as to my sexuality although now I am pretty sure I am asexual. I have told my closest friends as the are going through similar things (lesbian, bi and ace) and it is nice to put it out in the open. I haven't told anyone else, I'm still having the debate on whether to tell my family but for now I am happy with just the way things are. Never feel under any pressure to tell anyone but if you have anyone you can trust and feel comfortable telling then then think about telling them, they may be able to be some comfort if nothing else. 

Your (a)sexuality is a conversation to be having with yourself. There is nothing that says you need to or should or are suppose to come out about it. I feel your inner sexual discussion is similar to the one you may have about your religious views. It should be between you and your god or lack there of one. It is a private matter.

• Like 1