New here.

Xae

Hi my teenage daughter came out as ace recently and joined the site. I've come to be supportive and learn more. Although her coming out wasn't a shock to me I had actually wondered for some time if it was possible based on her lack of interest in romantic partners and other things. Just want to be a good mom. I love her and accept her how she is.

Imsoconfusedughgoshdarnit

Awesome to see that you're dedicated to learning more. Welcome!

If I could offer some advise, I would say to try and ask questions on the site and discuss things with your daughter so you get a clear idea of what things are like in her head. Especially important to talk with your daughter because everyone's experiences of asexuality are wildly different from one another, and what really matters here is that you understand how things are for her.

Also, you can be really supportive by helping her come out to people if she wants to. When doing so, try to filter out the, "It's just a phase", or "have you been molested" responses.

So far she has come out to us and 3 friends. After she came out I bought her a black ring and a heart shaped ace flag pin which she wears proudly on her backpack. At school it was recognized by amother girl in one of her classes who is also asexual. So far it's shaping up great that she is not going to feel alone.

Imsoconfusedughgoshdarnit
3 hours ago, Xae said:

So far she has come out to us and 3 friends. After she came out I bought her a black ring and a heart shaped ace flag pin which she wears proudly on her backpack. At school it was recognized by amother girl in one of her classes who is also asexual. So far it's shaping up great that she is not going to feel alone.

You're a great mom! Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks for joining and welcome, xae :)

It is great that you joined and I hope you find the forums helpful in terms of you supporting your daughter :)

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I find this site and it's forums amazing as are all of you.

Also I should add, if you need help with anything forum, me or any of the other moderators or admin staff would be happy to help :)

Archived