do you wear the "asexual ring"?

MelMart

On 9/3/2017 at 5:02 AM, BinaryFission said:

I have a silver ring on my right hand on my middle finger, for I never had a black ring nor did I really look for one. I wear it not for other asexuals or people to recognize my orientation (nor would they really be able to because there really is no such thing as a silver ace ring) but rather for myself. 

I wear a silver ring as well, I had a black one but, yeah it broke, and I haven't gotten round to finding another one. I like wearing it as a comfort sign really, that yes I am this.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:11 PM, GryphonLover said:

I have a black ring, but I very rarely wear it.  Any ring that can fit past my knuckle is uncomfortably wide around the base of my finger.  I do have the 'ace necklace' I made that I wear fairly often, but no one's commented on my color choices yet.  I might take to threading the ring on the necklace, or wearing them together, and see if at least the lesbian couple at work notice anything.

There's a lesbian where I work and I was wondering if she'd notice my ring, but nothing.  I think a very small % of people have any idea what it means.

One concern is if someone accidentally mistakes it for a swinger ring (yikes).  Which is a black ring on any other finger.  

Perilous Poozer
13 hours ago, Infernales said:

I wear a silver ring as well, I had a black one but, yeah it broke, and I haven't gotten round to finding another one. I like wearing it as a comfort sign really, that yes I am this.

I've noted before that I had one that broke too :mellow: I have two tungsten ones now, shiny 4mm and matte 6mm depending on what look I'm after that day. Recommend them.

4 hours ago, Perilous Poozer said:

I've noted before that I had one that broke too :mellow: I have two tungsten ones now, shiny 4mm and matte 6mm depending on what look I'm after that day. Recommend them.

Ooh. I like those. Might look into getting some one day. Thanks for the rec. :)

I had a black silicone ring that was fine until it started tearing apart. It would catch on things like the edges of my pockets because the rubber had too much friction. Now I'm getting a much nicer tungsten carbide one instead – tungsten carbide being a metal that's super durable and almost impossible to scuff (not to be confused with plain tungsten).

I've only had 2 friends ask about my ring so far. One of them mistakenly thought it meant I was engaged! :blink: She said she thought that's what the right middle finger meant in Chinese culture, but I suspect she was confused because I found no info online to confirm it.

Wearing the ring is definitely a continual reminder to myself that I'm ace. I feel a bit vulnerable with it on, though, because I don't yet know exactly what I should say when people ask about it, but I'll figure that out over time.

happykitten62

I don't, because I work in chemistry labs, so I don't wear anything on my hands or wrists in case they get damaged by harsh chemicals.

I do have an asexual necklace that I just bought, and I plan to wear it daily. It is very small, so I doubt anyone would notice it, but I wear it for myself :)

InfiniteHeart

I recently bought one for 10 bucks on Amazon, and I plan on wearing it daily. I love the sense of solidarity I feel by wearing it. 🖤💜

I've been wearing my ring almost 24/7 ever since I got it for Christmas, and I've gotten so used to it that it feels like a part of my finger now. :P

I haven't been out so much so no one's asked about it yet, and only my close friends know what it means, but I'll be open to anyone who would ask. It makes me feel comfortable and happy whenever I look at it, and it also reminds me that I'm not alone and that I am valid. <3

I have an obsidian arrowhead necklace with black string. I also have a ring, but I sometimes forget to wear the ring and wear just the necklace instead. (I like obsidian. A lot. A lot a lot.)

Alexandra Kale

I do. When I am at home I take it off, because sometimes it's uncomfortable to take it off every time I wash my hands or something like this. But when I go outside I always wear it. I feel really weird and kind of guilty if I forget about it (it happened few times). When I can't find it sometimes I start to panic and I say that I won't go out. 😂

All in all, I do wear it.

AwkwardAxolotl

I've worn a black ring for about  5 years now. I've never really had anyone recognize what it means, but I kind of like having a reminder that there are others like me, that I have a community if I need it. And I just like how it looks.

Fantastic Name

I've had one for a few months now, and I like it a lot, despite not being much of a ring person. I like the idea behind it all: to help aces identify each other and to subtly tell the world, "Hey! I'm asexual!" It makes me feel less alone in a world full of sexual people somehow.

I find myself feeling naked when I don't wear it. It feels like I'm missing a piece of my identity without it on, and I feel vulnerable. It's really strange.

Another thing: I was able to come out to a really close friend of mine on New Year's Eve after she asked why I wore the ring, so I guess there's that.

Ya Boi maxwell

I will be soon. I just bought one cheaply from China, it'll be here by February. I'm pretty excited to wear it. Not for other people, but for myself.

On 9/17/2017 at 1:07 AM, Flowertheflower said:

I am on the lookout for one, so I can wear it when I feel a bit sad. 

I love that. I think that is the essence of the symbol. I think I would probably get bored wearing the same thing every day, but sometimes you need that special something whether it is a sweatshirt, piece of jewelry or even a blanket that just perks you up.

I'm curious how many of you go with just a black band (with or without design) vs. a black ring that has a more stylized look. I like the idea of having one as a symbol of community, but I'm also considering a ring that is an actual ace symbol of some sort. I'm pretty pale so black washes me out and is almost aggressive with my skin tone.

I feel like anyone who would recognize a black ring as a symbol of asexuality would make the leap if it was an ace of spades or something similar. However, maybe not?

Perilous Poozer

@Jordikatte I like the simplicity of plain black (and I’m a bit on the ghostly side of pale too), mine is narrow and has a beveled edge with a raised band around the middle for interest, but I’ve seen others link highly ornate pieces including a black tungsten filigree band set with purple stones. All down to personal taste.

I do wear one, I have yet to see another person were one, but I still like to have it, it's something that I am proud of it, I also thought of getting a white ring, but I figured the silver rims on it counted enough if anyone asked, which they haven't.

Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs

I'm thinking of getting a silicone one. I would love it if another ace recognized me because of that, but I am a little nervous about what to say if someone asks me, like one of my students for example....

1 hour ago, HopeBena said:

I'm thinking of getting a silicone one. I would love it if another ace recognized me because of that, but I am a little nervous about what to say if someone asks me, like one of my students for example....

I tend to avoid the question with: Because I like it.

Go for the silicone though, I love mine :)

I use to always wear a Ring so that nobody would try to ask me on a date or my telephone number.  I will start doing that again because, honestly I do not like having sex but, I will with the man I  truly love and he hates me he does not like me so obviously I will never have sex period. So yes I will start wearing a Ring again.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:34 AM, Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs said:

It is for men? I use to wear a regular Ring should I purchase one without the stone something like this one. Oh yeah I actually have a Ring like that however it is titanium.

my sister actually gave me one for Christmas - she's amazing i don't know what i did to deserve her. It's silicon and so far it seems to be holding up well though I've only had it for 10 days so maybe it's not a good indication (I've only taken it off to shower though, apart from that I've been wearing it constantly, so that might suggest it's fairly good.) she got it from knot theory rings (knotheory.com). it's pretty genderless too if anyone's worried about that. 

Coily the Spring Sprite

Just now learned this is a thing. I may have to go out and get one. I'll need to go have my finger measured but I'll probably get  tungsten ring linked above.

I do, absolutely! My parents gave this to me as a holiday gift. Wearing  the ring makes me feel: 1) part of something; 2) increase in pride regarding the asexual community.8)

IvoryStardust

I used to but it broke. I ordered another, a plain black band with a small crystal captured in the center. Can't wait for it to get here!

StarkRomanoff

I got one a few months ago when I joined AVEN and found out the black ring was a thing. This is the one I got. Been wearing it every day since. No one's recognized it's meaning and I don't think they ever will but I like the feeling of community even though I don't know a single Ace person.

This is the first piece of jewelry I've worn so my mom got super excited when I started wearing it since she's been trying to make me more feminine my entire life. She asked me what it was for and I said "a ring was an inevitability so I wanted to practice getting used to it." (Yeah, she doesn't know I'm Ace.)

On 1/3/2018 at 11:45 PM, Perilous Poozer said:

@Jordikatte I like the simplicity of plain black (and I’m a bit on the ghostly side of pale too), mine is narrow and has a beveled edge with a raised band around the middle for interest, but I’ve seen others link highly ornate pieces including a black tungsten filigree band set with purple stones. All down to personal taste.

I like it. I ended up going with this one for the moment. It is a white wood ring with an ace of spades on it. It is just overt enough that another ace could probably make the leap but not exactly the black ring. I'm not exactly "out" yet so while the idea is awesome, I'm not really sure it feels appropriate yet. Anyone who knows me well knows the ace of spades is my favorite card in the deck. In hindsight, it was just one more hint I never picked up on :D 

It's tempting to buy a black ring but to put on my left ring finger for these two reasons:

1. A sign of asexuality (obviously)
  2. People will think that I'm married - reduce chances of ever being flirted with

Archived