do you wear the "asexual ring"?

MelMart

I've been wearing my ace ring for about 4 years now, and despite living in CA no stranger has ever commented on it. I also wear a "friendship bracelet" style thing that I made with the ace colors. It should be noted that the four girls who commented on them (all back when I was in high school, I'm pretty sure) had no idea what asexuality was. After I explained and pointed them to AVEN if they wanted more info, two of them came out as asexual, and the other two as gray-ace. 

Also! Amazon sells this lovely, durable, and reasonably priced (including the shipping) ring : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDBNC80/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2YEBDC9Z50J6V&colid=ORAS3C36PWL2&psc=1

58 minutes ago, lunarmorgan said:

I've been wearing my ace ring for about 4 years now, and despite living in CA no stranger has ever commented on it. I also wear a "friendship bracelet" style thing that I made with the ace colors. It should be noted that the four girls who commented on them (all back when I was in high school, I'm pretty sure) had no idea what asexuality was. After I explained and pointed them to AVEN if they wanted more info, two of them came out as asexual, and the other two as gray-ace. 

Also! Amazon sells this lovely, durable, and reasonably priced (including the shipping) ring : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDBNC80/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2YEBDC9Z50J6V&colid=ORAS3C36PWL2&psc=1

I found this...

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Shiny-Polished-Black/dp/B007LQG9V0/ref=cts_je_3_vtp?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2897711222&pf_rd_r=f6d2b146-d6e4-11e7-be54-e7b99f72a0d8&pd_rd_wg=Z7xTJ&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B007LQG9V0&pd_rd_w=qSmBE&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=f6d2b146-d6e4-11e7-be54-e7b99f72a0d8&_encoding=UTF8

I got my ring today and it's too big :( And I was getting excited about wearing it, too. Still not sure about wearing it to work or around my family though. My colleagues may ask me if I got a haircut the day before I get one, but they're oddly perceptive about my jewellery.

I've started wearing one. I haven't spotted anyone else wearing one, but maybe one day.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:05 PM, skyedive said:

I'd never heard of it until I read this thread, but now I'm intrigued. But like a few others here I don't wear jewellery much (anymore) and I'm nervous about how people would react or the wrong people recognising it. I used to wear rings but stopped after being asked if I'm engaged or married one too many times, and people have commented on me wearing other earrings than usual in the past. But I like the idea of the ring and of meeting fellow aces through it (while simultaneously being terrified of it). I might just order one of those thin tungsten rings some time and try to slowly get used to wearing jewellery without feeling self-conscious again :)

If I was solo in Toronto, where I wouldn't bump into acquaintances, I could see wearing it.

On 11/27/2017 at 2:36 PM, OpticCanoe said:

I've been wearing one for about a year and a half now, ever since I went on holiday with my sister and spotted a market stall selling black rings for cheap. Managed to get one that fit on my middle finger and I've been wearing the same one ever since. It's a pretty sturdy one that has lasted me well and doesn't look like it'll need replacing any time soon. I wear mine mainly as a reminder to myself that there are other people like me around and that I'm not "weird/strange/frigid/whatever people call me because I'm asexual"

Has anyone noticed/commented on it?

On 12/1/2017 at 8:33 PM, DebtheDemi said:

I've started wearing one. I haven't spotted anyone else wearing one, but maybe one day.

A person would have to wave their hand in my face before I'd notice if they were wearing ANY ring. LOL

9 hours ago, will123 said:

Has anyone noticed/commented on it?

Unfortunately only a couple of people have known what it has meant and commented on it, and both times they were also asexual. I have had quite a few people comment on it though, knowing that it means something but not knowing what it means. I'm more than happy to explain what it means to people who are curious though!
Usually it's me noticing that other people are wearing ace rings and me talking to them about it, but either way I'm happy about it!

Sometimes I wear an ace ring.

My ace ring is a black and silver band which actually comes from a Nightmare Before Christmas couples ring set. The ring depicts Jack and Sally and says "Simply meant to be" on it. This ring has never been noticed by another as being my ace ring though sometimes I'll have friends ask if they can see it and then they geek out over it being Nightmare Before Christmas related. I've never had a significant other and all of my friends know this so I'm honestly surprised that no one has asked why I wear it.

Even though it has yet to work as an identifier I still love wearing the ring. I enjoy wearing the ring because it's a subtle way to show how I identify without having to out myself.

I've had my ace ring for just over 4 months now after a lot of debate to even get it. It's a very simple ring, but I do want to get a more expensive one if/when I can afford it.

No one has commented on my ring, as I do hide my hands a lot from people, so they can't actually see the ring. But it is a lovely way of expressing my sexuality without it being in everyone's face, and if people do ask about it, it (in theory) would be a nice conversation starter as well.

Had one but I don't wear it anymore. Most ppl here won't understand the symbolism and even as an ace I don't actively look at ppl's hands for rings.

It's as well to be ready to answer questions before wearing one. Two weekends ago, four generations of family are gathered for a meal, and my cousin, who is my age, yelled out "why am I wearing a ring all of a sudden?". "Good job I'm open about asexulity, so I could just blandly say that it was my Ace ring and they all understood 

I started to realize I always hold my hands in plain view. I think my mom noticed my ring the other day at lunch, but I tucked my hands under the table and hoped she wouldn't ask. Not ready for that conversation with her.

I've got one that fits now, wore it all the way to work... and then chickened out and took it off before entering the building. I realised I'm less worried about anyone asking, since I don't feel like I'd have to tell them the truth if they did. I'm worried that someone might actually recognise it for what it is. Innuendo is basically the language we speak at work, and I don't think I'm ready to be out in that environment.

I have one tattooed actually. Partly because I rarely find rings that fit my fingers, and partly because I just love getting under the needle.

No one has recognized it for what it is (as far as I know at least), and my partner is the only one I've explained the meaning for

On 9/2/2017 at 3:37 PM, Charlie Weasley said:

is it a special type of ring? or can it be any black ring?

I would wear one if I had it.

It can be any black ring (black gemstone, metal, silicon etc.).

My therapist saw me fidgeting with mine and asked if it had any significance.   So I got to enlighten someone today.

Shadowstepper

Since I started wearing mine, I've become acutely aware of just how often the ring is "on display".

Everything from playing on my phone to typing in my pin# at the grocery store is usually done with either the index or middle finger of my right hand, which means the ring is pretty much always out there for everyone to see. 

Even tapping along to some music on my steering wheel is done in such a way that it almost seems like I'm brandishing it.

So far only my son has asked why I wear it, but with everything else going on, I don't see it as a drastic enough change to his life for it to be of significance yet.

I did point it out to my soon-to-be exwife, but that was for the sake of avoiding a confrontation.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Oddly enough, having started a new job, I see someone wearing a black ring on their right middle finger, but as they are speaking about their partner a lot, I think I'll not ask anything. Not my business anyway.

I only have one black ring that I tried to wear one day, but it was so small that it got stuck on my finger for a good half hour before I finally (and painfully) managed to remove it. Haven't worn it since.

I've told my family that I want a black ring that can fit my middle finger this Christmas, but didn't tell them what the ring implied. :D

I wear a silver ring with big black stone everyday since I realised I'm Ace. It's kinda big and good reminder for myself - it's a symbol of solidarity, independence and diversity for me. Whenever I hear something negative about any kind of gender identity & whenever some bitter experiences come back to my mind, I just have a look at the ring and laugh them off. 

Haven't met anyone who could recognise what it means, but it is worth wearing, at least for me.

Hermit Advocate
On 12/10/2017 at 2:55 AM, Mirari said:

I've told my family that I want a black ring that can fit my middle finger this Christmas, but didn't tell them what the ring implied. :D

That's how I got my ring. :)

I just recently began wearing mine on my middle finger again (I have gotten an unfortunate amount of hate from various people that discouraged me, so I had it on my left index finger) and it feels like a security blanket again. I like visual reminders. :ph34r:

Plus it's a spin ring and I can make fun noises with it. 8)

Island-Of-Dogs

I love the idea of having one, but I don't have one myself yet. I'm not very good at tolerating things on my fingers, but I believe that a properly sized ring would be something that I could get used to. 

I have thought about it, and I might buy one if I find one somewhere. But I don't normaly wear jewelry so I think people might notice. I always notice people's rings. I once saw someone wear what could have been an ace ring but it was a complete stranger in a busy store so I didn't say anything. I like some of the ideas I have seen here though - painting your fingernails in the colors or making a bracelet! I think I might do that next year for pride week, since it is something we always do something special for at work. 

I made my own ring out of electrical tape. (Folded over, so no, it's not "taped onto my finger") and I've made three more in case this one gets stretched or lost. I've noticed that in a lot of places, the placement of the black ring is different. Left hand, middle finger to flip off the conformers, left ring finger for irony; or same thing on the right hand. I wear my ring on the middle finger of my left hand and sometimes draw a little heart shaped Ace symbol on my ring finger.

I'd like to wear a black ring. I feel I may have to make one myself cause black rings don't seem to exist where I'm from. Also the chances of someone even recognizing it as an ace ring would probably be slim. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I fold a black hair tie into a little circle(I twist it once and settle the loops on top of each other) and then I slide it onto a finger so I don't lose it. Usually it's my pinkie or ring finger, and it's always on my left hand, so I dunno, maybe I'll use it as a sort of replacement, though I feel like it might be disrespectful.

Can't find one that fits comfortably, but I did, which was a gray-black stone one, which, long story short, BROKE.

I'm hoping to find another one I can wear on a daily basis, since I already am used to wearing a ring on my middle finger, I'd just like one that would subtly announce, Hello Ace here.

Archived