do you wear the "asexual ring"?

MelMart

On Saturday, September 02, 2017 at 7:33 PM, MelMart said:

Some asexuals (including myself) wear a black ring on the middle finger of their right hand as a symbol of asexuality. I have never identified someone this way, nor have I been identified this way, but I still like to use it.

Do you? ^_^

I bought a hematite ring before I know what being ace was! (I was 7 and i saw it and was like oooohhhh pretty) and it's been on the same shelf since. Never moved it, never wore it. Now I know I'm ace and i go to look for it poof gone. so ive never worn an ace ring i do, however, sometimes draw it on with pen.

Just now, Allycat247 said:

I bought a hematite ring before I know what being ace was! (I was 7 and i saw it and was like oooohhhh pretty) and it's been on the same shelf since. Never moved it, never wore it. Now I know I'm ace and i go to look for it poof gone. so ive never worn an ace ring i do, however, sometimes draw it on with pen.

Aww, hahah. Maybe join the tattoo crew and tattoo the ring to your finger!

I hate wearing rings & am not permitted to wear them at work, so I can't get bothered to get one until a few other chaps tell stories of nice gals hitting on them because of theirs.

I've been wearing mine for years, only ever take it off for safety reasons, it's just a simple black band that I picked up in a supermarket. I don't think most people even notice it, but recently someone recognised it and we got chatting, so I have a new ace friend.

1 hour ago, Emjay537 said:

I've been wearing mine for years, only ever take it off for safety reasons, it's just a simple black band that I picked up in a supermarket. I don't think most people even notice it, but recently someone recognised it and we got chatting, so I have a new ace friend.

That's awesome!

6 hours ago, Busrider said:

I hate wearing rings & am not permitted to wear them at work, so I can't get bothered to get one until a few other chaps tell stories of nice gals hitting on them because of theirs.

Makes sense

The_Reluctant_Dragon

I really want one, but, I don't think my family will be okay with it. So, I'm waiting till college.

I've worn one for like 4 years. It's a black tungsten band, so no subtlety there. It's also got an emblem engraved on it that has personal significance, so it has two meanings! Anyway, I've got a couple people that asked about it, but I never just told them what it actually meant because I didn't know them. I usually just talk about the emblem on it. Nobody has asked if it was an ace ring, which is when I would actually tell them.

I do know one person that wears the ring like an ace would, but I haven't asked them about it. I highly suspect that it is an ace ring though, just from their behavior.

I have two O-rings (car parts) as my ace ring, which I wear all of the time. Mainly because a black ring cost £45 here, and there's no cheap plastic ones around. But also because I travel a lot, and the rubber won't set off the metal detectors in airports.

Perilous Poozer

I wear one as a private reminder that I can accept myself. I don't take it off but I do usually wear other jewellery as well so it's never attracted comment. I don't care if it's recognised, other than perhaps someone else like me may not feel as alone as I did. It's a narrow tungsten band, got it cheap as chips on Amazon. 

Might get one soon idk. I mean, it wouldn't be any sort of noticeable change anyways because I already dress like (and am rapidly becoming) an emo piece of shit.

2 hours ago, Lichley said:

I have two O-rings (car parts) as my ace ring, which I wear all of the time. Mainly because a black ring cost £45 here, and there's no cheap plastic ones around. But also because I travel a lot, and the rubber won't set off the metal detectors in airports.

:) That's creative!

Yes, I do. I wear that one, and a ring on my left-hand ring finger because I'm married. I just recently discovered I'm allergic to nickel, so both of them are silicone. I'm not out of the closet to everyone in my life, but if someone asks me about it, I feel comfortable telling them about it since it isn't a recognized symbol to anyone else.

I've been wearing mine for about three months. I got mine off Amazon after buying a ring sizer. I don't expect anyone in my life to know the meaning, however, I was curious to see if my best friend who is a lesbian noticed. If she didn't she hasn't said anything. I like that it my little reminder. 

I wear it. Only 2 people have ever recognized it, and they both were ace. But I get that a lot of people don't want to for fear of 'outing' themselves or for any other reason. I just wear it because I like to and I think it could be a good way to find other aces.

arekathevampyre

me !! *raises hands enthusiastically* 

I wear a silver (with black enamel around it) ring as my ace ring on the middle finger of my left hand as I am aro ace (heard that the middle finger on the left hand is the forever alone finger) . 

I also have a bracelet made out of pony beads in the ace flag colours (though I am looking for a paracord bracelet or something similar in ace flag colours) . 

I didn't want to wear the aro flag bracelet and the agender flag bracelet I made as they are not as well known as the ace flag (especially the aro flag is not even official and the agender flag colours kind of look like the mix of both the aro and ace flag so it is confusing) . 

Phew !! Rant over . 

Back to you , peeps 

When I first heard about it, I thought I never would wear one as i don't normally wear rings and wasn't prepared for people to ask about it. Then at a Scottish AVEN meet, somehow I ended up with one, and like Sea-Lemon said, wear one now. Sadly that one broke as it was a hematite ring and I dropped it one day, but flit felt weird not wearing it again so bought a cheap replacement.

I won't wear it around family or at work to avoid being questioned on randomly wearing a ring, but I wear it any other time. Taking it off, between where I'm comfortable wearing it and where I am not, makes me feel like I'm a cheating on my (non exisistant) spouce due to the way I take it off :lol:

You don't have to. It's completely up to you. I don't myself as... Well too much bother

I don't enjoy having rings on my finger (one of the many reasons I will never get married), but for asexual visibility day and most of June I'll wear one

I think it's unlikely that I would encounter people who would recognize the significance. Although since I'm male and it's less common for men to wear rings (besides wedding rings), I might anticipate odd looks and questions.

arekathevampyre

I used to wear a black duepunti silicone diamond ring (super tiny diamond haha) ring on my left hand middle finger way before I knew I was aro ace lol

I got one in April and wore it pretty consistently until July or so. Honestly my main reason was to find others even though I know its not "supposed" to be. Ended up finding aces through other means who weren't wearing rings and would find myself concerned about non-ace people knowing what it meant without asking about it (thus not knowing who's caught on).

I would wear it more often if it wasnt such a pain (literally!) to take off. Anyone else have large knuckles but skinny fingers?

RoseGoesToYale

Whenever I go out, I put it on, unless I'm with my mother. She'd probably think it was some satanic symbol or something. I got mine for eight bucks at a tent during my uni's market day. :P Whenever I don't have it on, sometimes I feel like I've lost a superpower or something (but this isn't the LOTR).

I have been wearing one for 2 years now and it's just unassuming enough that it can be worn at all times and left on. Kind of similar to a pair of locking stud earrings (which I also just have in at all times).

I've known myself pretty well from a young age, but although I went by the "definition" of asexuality in middle-high school, it wasn't until much later that I learned the term and about the community. The ring reminds me that uncertainty can hide in what is certain, and that I have something concrete that people who require emotional support can relate to. It's nice being able to help others, otherwise what's the point of having already reached self-actualization? It gets boring.

@Max-Mermaid I would wear one, but it would have to be legit white and not silver-the only ones I found like this are ceramic and I think they tend to clink too loud.

Perilous Poozer
On 9/3/2017 at 8:48 AM, Saint Nicole, said:

I was searching for a black ring everywhere! The ones on Etsy were too expensive or very deficient quality, so while I was in Amsterdam, I found one. It's perfect. It's not all black; it's a silver band with a beautiful black opal on it. I love that when I look down it reminds me to stay true to myself, soon I am going to get a band tattooed on my middle finger. :wub:

I'm glad you found one! But if others are struggling to find one have a look on Amazon! Tungsten carbide rings are ridiculously cheap. I also have a plain hematite band I picked up at a hippie crystal shop for only a few bucks ($8 local currency), although it's more a dark grey and rather fragile. Pretty though.

I have one, but don't wear it often. I feel like people who know me well would find it weird and start questioning me (since I virtually never wear jewellry of any sort), which would make me uncomfortable. I want to wear one to a pride event someday though. Sometimes I wear it when I go to sleep, though, just for myself.

Archived