Am I the only one who disapproves of this?

Flowertheflower

Flowertheflower

So i am around the age range where people start telling each other dirty jokes and stuff.

I am okay with many of these jokes, sometimes they can be humorous, but if it's specific or personal, like referring to somebody, i feel disgusted or grossed out.

And if the joke is about me, I extremely uncomfortable, and hurt.

• Like 4

I don't like hearing dirty jokes (at least those I understand). Personally I find them unnecessary and can make me feel disgusted, particularly if they are aimed at me. So no, you aren't the only one who feels like this 

• Like 4
swirl_of_blue

I'm not always comfortable with dirty jokes of specific people, though it really depends on the person, the situation and overall the group of people around. I mostly have trouble with it because I don't comprehend the invisible lines of what is okay to say, and about whom and by who. I love dirty humor, and would actually like to make dirty jokes myself but I lack much of the situation awareness that is required for them to work so I mostly leave making the jokes to others and just enjoy them.

• Like 2

I'm no fan of dirty jokes either.  Maybe 25% are bearable the rest yuck or I don't get them.

• Like 2

I don't mind dirty jokes but some can make feel ill. Yeah I get where you are coming from.

FerlynnGoldbeard

I don't mind those sort of jokes at all. I even make some of them myself. If it's directed at a specific person, then for me it depends on the nature of the joke itself and if the other person is okay with it.

• 2 weeks later...
The_Reluctant_Dragon

Personally, dirty jokes aren't really my thing. If that is you're sense of humor, fine, but, I won't really laugh I probably will just be uncomfortable.

nothinbuttrouble

I generally don't enjoy dirty jokes. Most of them aren't even funny, they rely on shock and lack wit.

But I play along because talking shit is an important social skill in many workplaces (and other group situations.) If you're "challenged" and can't keep up, you get no respect. I've found that I actually enjoy talking shit sometimes because I enjoy challenges. Though I not only dislike making dirty jokes, I suck at it. So my shit talk involves countering dirty jokes- usually with a personal insult!

There are a couple of situations I can't stand, though, and will not play along: 1) When people are making dirty jokes about someone who isn't around to defend themselves. 2) When people are making dirty jokes about someone who is present and is uncomfortable.

So, yeah, @Flowertheflower, we agree on that.

Flowertheflower
12 hours ago, nothinbuttrouble said:

I generally don't enjoy dirty jokes. Most of them aren't even funny, they rely on shock and lack wit.

But I play along because talking shit is an important social skill in many workplaces (and other group situations.) If you're "challenged" and can't keep up, you get no respect. I've found that I actually enjoy talking shit sometimes because I enjoy challenges. Though I not only dislike making dirty jokes, I suck at it. So my shit talk involves countering dirty jokes- usually with a personal insult!

There are a couple of situations I can't stand, though, and will not play along: 1) When people are making dirty jokes about someone who isn't around to defend themselves. 2) When people are making dirty jokes about someone who is present and is uncomfortable.

So, yeah, @Flowertheflower, we agree on that.

The problem with me is I don't know lots of terms and words when it comes to love and sex and that kind of stuff and thats why i often say something accidentally dirty.

And then people know I start to get uncomfortable, and then they rub it in my face. 

Thanks to all of you for your understanding! I am really starting to like this forum :)

• Like 1