Learn about the spectrum

V.T.

2 minutes ago, V.T. said:

So should I just strip myself of my asexual label and go then? Because making asexual a clear cut, and exclusive to only people who feel no sexual and romantic attraction would make someone aromantic, not asexual. Asexuals are the only sexuality that feel just romantic attraction.

You seem to have misunderstood quite a lot of things.

I will not repeat what Homer and a minor triad just said, but they're correct.

1 minute ago, a minor triad said:

I'm not sure what you got from my post, but the romantic spectrum is not the asexual spectrum. That would imply only asexuals can experience romantic attraction, and that is false.

No. That is not what we are saying at all. Romantic attraction and sexual attraction are two different things. That is why you can have panromantic asexuals, aromantic heterosexuals, etc. 

I am aware that sexual and romantic attraction are two different things. However, asexual are , yet again, the only sexuality that experiences JUST romantic attraction and romantic attraction alone.

a minor triad
1 hour ago, Ilerneo Fricai said:

What I mean is, there are lots of posts and discussions surrounding participating in "solo work" as an ace, specifically that doing so invalidates your claim to be an asexual. 

So my question really is, I suppose, if asexuality is not a spectrum then does participation in "solo work" also become a black and white issue?

I'll be honest. I don't know a lot about "solo work," but as I understand it, there are aces who engage in masturbatory practices. Also, we are saying sexuality as a whole is a spectrum that asexuality fits into. So, to answer your question, no, "solo work" doesn't have to be discussed as a black and white issue.

a minor triad
1 minute ago, V.T. said:

I am aware that sexual and romantic attraction are two different things. However, asexual are , yet again, the only sexuality that experiences JUST romantic attraction and romantic attraction alone.

Not necessarily. I get what you are trying to say, but your statement is poorly worded. There are aromantic asexuals who experience neither romantic nor sexual attraction. Just because you are asexual doesn't mean you experience romantic attraction.

a minor triad
Just now, V.T. said:

*Jumps off a cliff in happiness* I have one ally, my argument hasn't been hated by everyone yet!

Perhaps you should reread people's previous statements on the matter and compare it with that chart. You'll find that we are aligning with what that chart says.

Not necessarily. I get what you are trying to say, but your statement is poorly worded. There are aromantic asexuals who experience neither romantic nor sexual attraction. Just because you are asexual doesn't mean you experience romantic attraction.

But they are Aromantic, not just asexual.

a minor triad

Yes, but when someone says they are asexual, they are not necessarily giving an indication of what their romantic orientation is.

Perhaps you should reread people's previous statements on the matter and compare it with that chart. You'll find that we are aligning with what that chart says.

It is labeled asexual spectrum. It exists. It's right there. If you deny its existence, you're lying. It was made by aven. Wether you agree with me or not is up to you, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a spectrum.

a minor triad
4 minutes ago, V.T. said:

It is labeled asexual spectrum. It exists. It's right there. If you deny its existence, you're lying. It was made by aven. Wether you agree with me or not is up to you, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a spectrum.

If you notice, that chart is poorly labeled. It calls itself "The Asexual Spectrum," yet it includes sexuals on it. Do you really think sexuals belong on the supposed asexual spectrum? I am not lying. This is a difference of opinion and logic. 

How is "not experiencing attraction" a spectrum?

Yes, but when someone says they are asexual, they are not necessarily giving an indication of what their romantic orientation is.

After I came out as asexual a friend asked me if I was aromantic. I said no, because being aromantic meant you only loved people platonically. Platonic love and romantic love are quite different.

Look, I love my friends, but I wouldn't kiss them. 😂

a minor triad
Just now, V.T. said:

After I came out as asexual a friend asked me if I was aromantic. I said no, because being aromantic meant you only loved people platonically. Platonic love and romantic love are quite different.

What is your point here?

Just now, V.T. said:

(I was elaborating on the difference between the two here)

1 minute ago, Homer said:

How is "not experiencing attraction" a spectrum?

Ask aven if you really want to know. I didn't make the chart.

1 minute ago, V.T. said:

Yet you are arguing in its favour and I wonder why.

a minor triad
1 minute ago, V.T. said:

Think about it. The chart is talking about what we are talking about, however, the chart misnamed it, calling it the asexual spectrum while we are calling is the sexuality spectrum. How could sexuals fit in the asexual spectrum? It is far more inclusive to call it the sexuality spectrum.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Yet you are arguing in its favour and I wonder why.

Because aven is a place for acceptance for all aces. I like aven. At least the idea of it.

3 minutes ago, a minor triad said:

It is far more inclusive to call it the sexuality spectrum.

I think it's about accuracy rather than inclusion.

Just now, V.T. said:

Because aven is a place for acceptance for all aces. I like aven. At least the idea of it.

It's striving to be a place of acceptance for everyone, not just aces. Yet that's got nothing to do with the spectrum issue.

a minor triad
Just now, Homer said:

Fair point. What I meant was that an asexual spectrum can only emcompass asexuals. A sexuality spectrum encompasses all sexualities.

2 minutes ago, a minor triad said:

Think about it. The chart is talking about what we are talking about, however, the chart misnamed it, calling it the asexual spectrum while we are calling is the sexuality spectrum. How could sexuals fit in the asexual spectrum? It is far more inclusive to call it the sexuality spectrum.

Again, wether you agree with me or the chart is completely up to you. You just can't argue that the spectrum doesn't exist because it does, thus why I made this place. To just chat with people along the spectrum. The spectrum that I've seen before and know exists.

I JUST WANTED TO CHAT WITH PEOPLE. I kid you not. I did not start this argument. I was just like "we're diverse and I love diversity so let's talk about our diversity".

1 minute ago, V.T. said:

You just can't argue that the spectrum doesn't exist because it does

Again, what does make zero a spectrum?

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

It's striving to be a place of acceptance for everyone, not just aces. Yet that's got nothing to do with the spectrum issue.

I have a lesbian, trans, ace and non-binary friend. 4 friends of minority and I love them to death. There is a spectrum in asexuality. That has nothing to do with acceptance. That's our job as people. To except and love everyone regardless of where they fall on the spectrum.

I'd say that asexuality is not a spectrum. This are people who do not expirience sexual attraction. But there is like gray-spectrum for all those grayace and demi etc. But AVEN is still a place for all those people and more because we do actually expirience similar things and can relate to each other. 

3 minutes ago, V.T. said:

That's our job as people. To except and love everyone regardless of where they fall on the spectrum.

Yeah I agree and I'm big on acceptance but it still doesn't make asexuality a spectrum. Even if I accept for example demisexual people. 

3 minutes ago, Mermaidy said:

that doesn't make asexuality a spectrum.  it makes sexuality/romanticism spectrums (which they are) 

But that's what they named it and that's what I call it. I'm referring to this chart when I talk. I am allowed to call it by its name, aren't I? 

(Or so I thought considering the reaction I'm getting)

Hey, we're just trying to educate. Saying the wrong thing and spreading that is only going to cause confusion and I honestly don't need more of that when I tell people I'm asexual.

Asexual only means one thing, all those other things you're bringing up are not included in the asexual label, those are something you'd have to explain with other words.

I know some people have liked calling asexuals, greysexuals and demisexuals as labels that go under "the asexual spectrum" or "the asexual umbrella", but having the word asexual in there is not good since it means something that doesn't match with greysexual and demisexual. It's not "a thing", just because one of the people that liked that phrasing put it on the top of a chart they made doesn't make it more "a thing".

Oh, and, romantic orientation has never been considered a part of that "spectrum"/"umbrella".

Just now, V.T. said:

But that's what they named it and that's what I call it. I'm referring to this chart when I talk. I am allowed to call it by its name, aren't I? 

(Or so I thought considering the reaction I'm getting)

wait who's "they"?  The people who created the chart?  I'm/we're saying your chart isn't accurate

Archived