Movies:

LOTR, of course!  *Though, sorry folks, can't stand the books*

X-Men: Days Of Future Past

Stardust

Princess Bride

Starman

Field Of Dreams

All I can think of, at the moment.

Where is a good place to start with Valdemar? To get a good taste of the books and to start in a good place within any story arcs?

@Tja Mercedes Lackey

@daveb 'Arrows for The Queen' is the first book of the series and an excellent introduction to the books. Talia is an interesting character.  

http://www.mercedeslackey.com/books/arrow1.html

I'm not much of a fan myself, though I did enjoy the first series. These days, I can read about 1-1/2 books before I want to throw them against the wall. There's something about Lackey's writing which just annoys me after a while and it just drives me nuts. I'd rather read Tanya Huff, who I think is a better writer (who also does not get hung up on m/f tropes like Lackey).

7 hours ago, Tja said:

LOTR, of course!  *Though, sorry folks, can't stand the books*

I can stand them, but I also prefer the movies. They're what got me into fantasy after all lol.

UglySlothFace

LotR - Mheh about the books, love the movies.
The Hobbit - LOVE the book, mheh about the movies (except the first one, that one was cute).

Seriously, though, for movies entitled The Hobbit we sure got to see very little of the actual hobbit. And the romantic sublot with that Tauriel-elf? Blegh.

My favourite fantasy book series are by far His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Read them as a teenager and plan to read them again very soon.

@TjaI remember liking both Belgariad and Mallorean :)  I recall The Thomas Covenant (the charater) and the cycle as being despondent and gloomy but then it was about a leper, so that's understandable. Or maybe I just misremember. It was long time ago.

8 hours ago, daveb said:

Where is a good place to start with Valdemar? To get a good taste of the books and to start in a good place within any story arcs?

7 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

@Tja Mercedes Lackey

@daveb 'Arrows for The Queen' is the first book of the series and an excellent introduction to the books. Talia is an interesting character.  

http://www.mercedeslackey.com/books/arrow1.html

Thanks, @fuzzipueo!

@daveb, it starts with the Arrow series, as fuzzipueo said. Good stuff;)

5 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@TjaI remember liking both Belgariad and Mallorean :)  I recall The Thomas Covenant (the charater) and the cycle as being despondent and gloomy but then it was about a leper, so that's understandable. Or maybe I just misremember. It was long time ago.

Yes, it is gloomy. But, the Second Chronicles is one hell of an adventure.  Plus, there are more Giants. :wub:

The final Chronicles have been disappointing. Haven't been able to finish them.

The Belgariad has some of the best character development, and interaction. IMO.

@Tja

I think I may have started reading the Second Chronicles, but I don't recall anything.

As for character interactions in Eddings' novels I recall the female characters being especially snappy towards the male ones :P Another cycle where I found a similar dynamic between male and female characters was The Wheel of Time (a.k.a. The Bold and the Beautiful of the fantasy genre :P  )

10 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

I'm not much of a fan myself, though I did enjoy the first series. These days, I can read about 1-1/2 books before I want to throw them against the wall. There's something about Lackey's writing which just annoys me after a while and it just drives me nuts. I'd rather read Tanya Huff, who I think is a better writer (who also does not get hung up on m/f tropes like Lackey).

Thanks! Good to know. Any recommendations for starting out with Tanya Huff's books?

I like the LOTR books and the Peter Jackson films. I like The Hobbit book, but agree about the movies (I didn't even bother going to see the last one - Battle of Five Armies?)

8 hours ago, UglySlothFace said:

The Hobbit - LOVE the book, mheh about the movies (except the first one, that one was cute).

Seriously, though, for movies entitled The Hobbit we sure got to see very little of the actual hobbit. And the romantic sublot with that Tauriel-elf? Blegh.

8 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I recall The Thomas Covenant (the charater) and the cycle as being despondent and gloomy but then it was about a leper, so that's understandable. Or maybe I just misremember. It was long time ago.

I tried to read the first book in the whole series many years ago, but couldn't stand it. The thing that really put me off it was it seemed the main character was constantly wallowing in self-pity. I have plenty of other things I'd rather read. Sorry to any fans.

Everyone has different tastes and there's lots to choose from, so it's fine. I know plenty of people don't like the LOTR books, as a fan myself I obviously have a different opinion, but to each their own. :D 

cavalier080854

Piers Anthony - Xanth series (41 books)

Stephen R Donaldson - Thomas Covenant series

Christopher Stasheff - Warlock series

Toby Frost - Captain Smith series (steampunk)

Harry Turtledove - numerous alternative history series

Robert E Howard - Conan series

Andre Norton - Witch World series

Terry Pratchett - Discworld series

Michael Moorcock - Eternal Champion series

Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat series

That's all off the top of my head at the moment

12 minutes ago, cavalier080854 said:

Christopher Stasheff - Warlock series

Toby Frost - Captain Smith series (steampunk)

Harry Turtledove - numerous alternative history series

Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat series

That's all off the top of my head at the moment

I've read and enjoyed a few of Piers Anthony's books and Stasheff's and one or 2 of Turtledoves

Frost's Space Captain Smith books and Harrison's SSR stories are great! (I file them under space opera/sci-fi) :)

I also like Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series

And Kelly McCullough's Fallen Blade series

@cavalier080854

I remember collecting the Xanth books in my adolescence. Then I donated them all to my school library :D The "sending message to the stork" thing cracked me up :D Also, the "adults' conspiracy society" (or whatever it was called in English; I read those in the Polish translation).

As for Turtledove, I read some of his Videssos books (2 trilogies).

As for other cycles/books not yet mentioned, I enjoyed the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_Gate_Cycle

(I think only 4 volumes were released in Poland)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythago_Wood

(volume 1 of Ryhope Wood series about the place where memories and myths come to life; I think only 2 volumes were released in Poland, I read both but mostly enjoyed the one I linked).

books:

Rachel Hartman - Seraphina series (two books so far)

Garth Nix - Old Kingdom series

Books:

The Bear and the Nightingale

The Girl from the Well

Summer in Orcus

Every Heart a Doorway

The Bone Witch

The Defectives (1&2)

On the Edge of Gone

A Monster Calls

Frankenstein

Brave New World

The Book of Lost Things

Skary Childrin and the Carousel of Sorrow (the misspelling is intentional)

Charlie and the Grandmothers

The Mysterious Benedict Society series

The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit

Lightfinder

Freya Snow series

The Metamophisis (or really anything by Kafka)

Comics:

Stand Still Stay Silent

Widdershins

The World in Deeper Inspection

Fantomestein

TV series:

Star Trek: The Next Generation (I haven't seen all the rest yet)

The Batman

4 hours ago, daveb said:

Thanks! Good to know. Any recommendations for starting out with Tanya Huff's books?

Depends on your taste. She writes Urban Fantasy, fantasy, and science fiction. I started with Blood Price the first Vickie Nelson book (which also introduced me to my first bi character, Henry Fitzroy, the bastard son of Henry VIII - Henry is a really cool character and a vampire who likes being a vampire). My favorite fall back series is the Tony Foster trilogy, in which Tony comes of age both as an adult and as a wizard (spin off from Vickie Nelson, but you don't need to read the first to read about Tony's adventures in Vancouver).

The Fire's Stone is one of her earliest fantasy books, and features an asexual character.

The Keeper Chronicles follows Claire as she tries to protect the world from hellmouths basically.

I'd write more, but I need to go somewhere now. If you've got more questions, these sites have more information about all of her books, fantasy and SF:

https://www.sfsite.com/lists/thuff.htm

http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/tanya-huff/.

Oh, I have read Stealing Magic by Tanya Huff and vaguely recall that I enjoyed it. I'm not into modern urban fantasy much.

cavalier080854

Philip Jose Farmer - World of Tiers series (7 books)

On 8/25/2017 at 5:18 AM, Tja said:

'Arrows for The Queen' is the first book of the series and an excellent introduction to the books. Talia is an interesting character.

I was at the bookstore today and saw this so I bought it. I'm not sure when I will get around to it though. For now it goes in my bookcase (plus another shelf) of "books to be read some day". :) 

correction: @fuzzipueo gave me the above recommendation. Thanks! :) 

1 hour ago, daveb said:
  On 8/25/2017 at 8:18 AM, Tja said:

'Arrows for The Queen' is the first book of the series and an excellent introduction to the books. Talia is an interesting character.

Actually, @fuzzipueo   originally posted this quote. How did my name get attached to it, I wonder?

I heartily agree with it, and don't mind being given the credit for such an excellent post! :P

The Sword of Truth series.

Whatever series The Mists of Avalon and Lady of the Lake are in.

Fantasy is most of what I read, so there are a lot. Some of these are kind of on or maybe even over the line between fantasy and science fiction; I'm not real good at splicing genres.

Books:

- The Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (in direct opposition to some here, I can't stand the film adaptations to the point where I avoid talking about it with people I know; but that's generally how I am about books I like enough)

- The Morgaine Cycle, The Dreaming Tree, the Faded Sun trilogy by C.J. Cherryh (and some more that definitely fall under the science fiction category)

- The Tamir Triad, the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling

- The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey (more the early ones than the later ones)

- The Eternal Champion books by Michael Moorcock (mostly Elric and Corum)

- The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin

- The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane

- The Obsidian and Blood trilogy by Aliettte de Bodard

- The Hounds of the Morrigan by Pat O'Shea

- The Dalemark Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones

- The Book of Ti'ana by... I can't actually remember the author(s) on this one

- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

- The Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey (although, this is mostly leftover from a while ago... I do still like some aspects of 'em)

- The Earthsea Cycle series by Ursula K. LeGuin (it's been so long since I read these I really need to re-read them, though!)

- I guess H.P. Lovecraft's works probably count here? I mean, maybe more horror than fantasy, but hey... close enough

- Song of the Lioness quartet by Tamora Pierce (I remember these the best of those of her books I've read; others were pretty good too)

- The Darkover books by Marion Zimmer Bradley (as much as I'm reluctant to mention these now, I do still like the setting and some of the books specifically, so... there it is)

- The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (another I've not read in a while)

- The Fire's Stone by Tanya Huff (trying more books by the same author is still on my "someday!" list)

His Dark Materials is one series I intend to re-read next time I make it through my to-read pile sufficiently to have time. In contrast to the Harry Potter books, I think I actually read that one a bit too soon to enjoy it properly -- I think I was eight or nine when I read them, whereas I read the Harry Potter books rather too late, for me; I'd've loved them when I was six or seven and still like the Wizard of Oz books, but not so much when I read them at twelve.

Television and Film:

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel

- Not the most serious of fantasy and all, but I've still got a fondness for Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

- Some movies based on the works of Lovecraft are pretty good

- Uh... not many fantasy films/series I can think of that aren't adaptations I won't touch, really

Games:

- Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins, the Elder Scrolls series, Planescape: Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Temple of Elemental Evil, the Zork games, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader, some aspects of Dragon Age II and Dragon Age: Inquisition (still like the lore aspects, which is most relevant here; it's the gameplay that got worse to me)

Tabletop Systems:

- AD&D (version 1 or 2, 3.5 is also good, 5 is acceptable), Rolemaster/MERP

I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff out, because I always do originally with these lists, but there it is for now.

11 hours ago, Remmirath said:

Uh... not many fantasy films/series I can think of that aren't adaptations I won't touch, really

I can: The Seeker: The Dark is Rising is an awful adaptation of Susan Cooper's most excellent book. Why the producer and script writer chose to "adapt" a book in a genre neither liked (fantasy), and screw it up so thoroughly, no one has ever been able to explain.

I wish Wonderworks was still around. They did a great job on The Chronicles of Narnia. Or Masterpiece Theater to do all of Sequence ...

I forgot about The Chronicles Of Narnia.

I've never read the books, so, I found the movies enjoyable. Perfectly re-watchable.:)

Some shows I like are Avatar: The Last Airbender, Merlin, RWBY, and Voltron. Theres a good comic series called Descender.

Absolutely love The Kingfountain series by Jeff Wheeler. ^_^ I read every book the day they come out. 

Others off the top of my head so there will be loads more... 

The Bitterbynde by Cecila Dart-Thornton
Gentleman Bastard by Scott Lynch
Valedemar by Mercedes Lackey
Nightblade by Ryan Kirk
Rogues of the Republic by Patrick Weekes
Belgariad and Mallorean by David Eddings
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Some great suggestions on this thread. I love most Terry Pratchett stuff, especially Discworld. The long earth books were ok, but slow going.

Tanya Huff is pretty good, i especially love her Gale books.

Tom Holt has some funny sf books but some of it is just bonkers.

Im really into the Shadowhunters / mortal instruments books by Cassandra Clare. Also a fairly cheesy but enjoyable show on Netflix. 

I have read all the Dresden files books and they are pretty good. The tv show was a bit disappointing. They didnt even have a blue VW Beetle.

Izombie is a good show on Netflix though. 

Also Lucifer on Amazon is a good show. 

I was disappointed when they cancelled Constantine, just when it was getting good.

GRexCarolinii
On 9/1/2017 at 5:08 AM, quietcrayon said:

and Voltron.

Totally would have counted this as more sci-fi
but if other people have mentioned it; I totally have to as it is currently my biggest obsession :D (though thinking about it: I can certainly see the argument for it being fantasy too!)

other than that:

Books - 
anything by Brandon Sanderson pretty much (I've not read all of his, but have yet to be disappointed)
similar for V.E. Schwab  (Vicious is particularly good)
The Raven Cycle - Maggie Stiefvater
Rick Riordan's various series and books 

TV Shows/Anime - 

My Hero Academia is my favourite thing on this planet (superheroes count!)
Voltron has been mentioned... ;) 
Fairy Tail
Fullmetal Alchemist
Steven Universe
Young Justice
a lot of animated stuff really....

Films - 
Anything superhero really... probably my favourite sub-genre
The Kung Fu Panda trilogy are hands down my favourites

Games -
Nintendo? Love me some Zelda :3 
Ace attorney is number 1 (fantasy right? I mean.. spirit mediums?)
Guild Wars 2 is my on-and-off-again MMO of choice
Undertale :D 

I'd def count it as science fantasy - if we're talking VLD anyways, it's def got magic as well as science, and two of the main characters are essentially elves.

On ‎25‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 5:58 PM, cavalier080854 said:

I read some but didn't really fall for them.

I was quite Harry Potter addicted (like everybody else) skipped the last volume.

Robert Jordan "The wheel of time"

Marion Zimmer Bradley

Terry Pratchett

Eva Ibbotson "which Witch"

Movies (I'm out of business!) Ladyhawke

Archived