Writing a Transgender character?

Lore_1324

So, I am trying to start writing a book, and I have decided to attempt writing some LGBTQ+ characters for the first time, mostly because I haven't in the past, and because I somehow got it into my head that writing was easy. Well, here we go!

My character is a 16 year old girl, named Elizabeth, Beth for short. She was born male, and she has a twin brother, and I first wanted them to be identical twins, but decided against it because every time I've had twins in things I've written, they've been identical. Since I myself am not transgender, and don't know any transgender people personally, I don't know the things that transgender people have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. I just need some advice on how to make this subject fit into the story, because she isn't the main character, and its not necessarily a big part of the story. I don't know how I can explain this further without insulting someone, so I will just stop here.

Rainbow-Unicorn

I'm not trans either and unfortunately don't know any in person.

But in the last couple of weeks I came across some YouTube-channels, in which transpeople talk about their lifes, and I watch them regularly now.

Maybe these channels can help you to get some ideas for your story-character.

Since you say your character is mtf, let me share this 2 channels with you:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceSane

https://www.youtube.com/user/GregoryGORGEOUS

I think it's key to do proper research and learn all you can to make a character as authentic and fairly represented as possible.

The resources above are great! I would also see if there are any LGBTQ+ centers/communities you can go to and find other resources. I personally really like autobiographies/memoirs  as they allow me to step into the mind of someone else for a while and mentally experience their emotions. I'm currently reading "Redefining Realness" by Janet Mock which I have heard referred to as "trans 101." I haven't finished it so I can't say I agree or disagree, but she rights with such honesty and insight into her own feelings that it's incredibly compelling. 

Hope that helps! It's so great that you are reaching beyond yourself to write under represented characters and I'm so glad you decided to reach out here to find resources! Good luck!

I really appreciate you guys giving me so much advice, and so quickly. I am trying to find more trans youtubers, and I only know one so far but he is FtM trans. I will look into finding books, and researching, and asking around, and I want to say that I am happy I have you guys to count on.

Archived