Tabletop gaming!

Tyrnis

Video games seem to get lots of attention, but I haven't seen any recent threads on tabletop gaming (or I just overlooked them...which is also possible.  I'm good at botching perception rolls :-p )

So, what are you all playing?  Tabletop RPGs in particular, but let's not limit it to those -- use this as an opportunity to talk about any games you play and enjoy that _aren't_ video games.  Are you playing RL with friends, or online via play by post/Skype/IRC/Roll20/etc?

For me, I play a few characters online on World of Darkness MUSHes as my primary source of gaming these days (yes, MU*s are still around.

For a little while, I had a weekly game of X-Wing (a Star Wars miniatures wargame) going, but that's on indefinite hold for the time being.  Very fun game, though.

And finally, while my RL gaming groups have mostly scattered to the winds, with people moving out of town, I'm about to get a group together for Starfinder.  While I'm not generally as big a fan of the traditional class/level based games, I admit, Starfinder has gotten me pretty excited for some fun science fantasy action.  Already have the group together, just going through the book and learning the setting and the differences between it and Pathfinder.  In this case, most of us will be coming to my place for game night, but one of the players will be Skyping in.  I'm hoping to start the game in the next 2-3 weeks, and will be running them through the Dead Suns adventure path.

I play board games, mostly solo. Although I have been going to a gaming meetup every other week in a local game store for the last few months. I don't do online games. Although I am involved in a fantasy rpg being run through an online app. It's not very far along as we are going at whatever pace suits everyone and people have been on Summer holidays and/or distracted by "real life".

Sounds like fun! I like to play tabletop strategies mostly, like Rally Round the King or Warhammer Fantasy. I also play some Mordheim with my brother on occasion. We have a goblin mercenary group going, but we haven't played in a bit, sadly.

Any of you guys ever played Talisman? That's such a good one. I have game nights with my friends and neighbors weekly and we all play that together.

P.S.: Warhammer Quest is one of the best tabletop RPG card games I've played, if anyone likes the Warhammer universe.

cavalier080854

I have been table top games since the 1960s. My first game was "Battle of the Little Big Horn", unfortunately I figured out that Custer could win every time and proved it by not firing and the Indians getting an automatic kill every time, Custer won!!! Since then, I have collected hundreds of games, from tiny solo games to the massive Drang Nach Osten with 6,000 counters and 12'x8' surface area! Alas people are not willing to play a game that takes weeks to play. So the medium to short games are the order. Sigh. D&D are the order of the day now using Pathfinder Rules. But I still revisit the old school games. The rules are more simple, but the graphics more plain. With the exception of "Cards against Humanity" and Poker, I'm not a big fan of card games.

I'm a huge tabletop gamer, prefer Euro style games. I game at least once per week. Tried  a Cthuluhu themed RPG, so I got a taste of RPGs, I'd say it's not my style though.  My favorite games are Through the Ages, Brass, Terra Mystica and Terraforming Mars. For solo, I got suckered into the Arkham Horror LCG, awesome stuff. If anyone wants to try an online game (via website or an app), that'd be cool.

My friend (and roommate for this upcoming school year) loves Dungeons and Dragons, and I'm starting to get into D&D because of her. I've been working at an elementary school day care this summer, and I've been playing a lot of board and card games with the kids, especially spoons, Apples to Apples, and checkers. One of my co-workers brought her D&D stuff to work, so we've played it with the kids a few times.

I miss tabletop.

Used to have a group that got together weekly and while we largely did D&D (3.5, so I'm aging myself here) we also dabbled in the "new" World of Darkness, playing as humans and the second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.  Also had books for Riddle of Steel because I got it for cheap and one of the editions of Ars Magica but could never convince my players to try it.

Currently organizing a local Pathfinder game - I can't force myself to be into online Skype/Discord gaming, it's just not happening. I can't even watch pre-recorded D&D sessions so IDK how I'd be able to play online TBH, too many distractions plus the chaos at my home means I just can't voice chat ever. Love Pathfinder though, it's my way of telling fantasy stories and gaming and being creative in a group, because God knows I tried prose and found it to be super boring. Can't write for fun for the life of me lol.

I'm meeting with my tabletop gaming group tomorrow to finish Pandemic Legacy. Our group used to be bigger (around 10 people) but it's shrunk to 4-5 people lately. :(

38 minutes ago, CaliJones said:

I'm meeting with my tabletop gaming group tomorrow to finish Pandemic Legacy. Our group used to be bigger (around 10 people) but it's shrunk to 4-5 people lately. :(

Oh wow I'm starting Pandemic Legacy tomorrow.

I just had to end a short D&D 5e campaign that I was DMing over the summer because half my party left for college. My friends and I are all very political so we like to play a lot of strategy games (mostly Diplomacy, Risk, Axis and Allies, and Here I Stand). However, I'm also trying to get the rest of my D&D group into more narrative-based games like Fiasco-- which I adore-- A tragedy in five acts, and Microscope.

I mostly play DnD in person, with two different groups, one i DM and the other i play. Its a ton of fun, and when you let the rules go a tad loose, things can get crazy!! in  good way of course

Archived