Aces....do you "ship" fictional characters?

Lovelykat

I always found it odd that even though I'm aro spec, I do ship some fictional and TV couples...just curious if other people do it too I guess. 

So...do you "ship" fictional couples, and if you do...what are some "ships" you like or characters you ship? 

I do not. In fact, I'd never heard of the practice until I joined AVEN. I'm not sure if shipping fictional characters is actually more common among asexuals/aromantics, or if it's just more common among people who spend time in online communities.

I'm not aro, just ace, I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for because the title and the post contradict a bit.. but yes, I do ship. But only very rarely. I'm not someone who has 25 otps and 50 crack ships

I ship all the freaking time.. I have a problem. So. Many. Not real peope though. Usually it's just in movies, books, and tv shows~

Sleepy Skeleton

Yeppppp.

It's honestly alarming how much I do it. I've always joked that I never have energy for real life relationships because I'm always thinking about fictional ones. Real life love isn't nearly as exciting.

My main ships are Dean and Castiel from Supernatural, John and Sherlock for BBC's Sherlock, and Saitama and Genos from One Punch Man. I also like Emma and Hook from Once Upon A Time, Yuri and Victor from Yuri On Ice, and Pam and Jim from The Office, but I don't really think those count as "shipping" since they're all canon.

Yes! I read allll the fanfiction!  Mostly i read M/M pairings, but will read F/M and F/M too. Few of my favs are Remus/Sirius,  Draco/Harry,   Luke/Craig (the bill, uk tv show). Jedediah/Octavius (NATM),  Spock/Nyota,  Grissom/Sara(CSI),  Jack/Sam (SG-1) and Fraser/Meg (Due South).   I have loadds more, Like Toad and Nightcrawler, and Rorschach and Nite Owl II.. 

Nope. But if ships WERE my thing I'd be the captain of The Fangirl and I'd pillage and plunder on the high seas.

YES :)

I'm a huge fan of the Doctor & Rose, which is affectionately called 'a love story without the shagging.' As a romantic ace, I just love that. 

There are many other ships I like, mostly because I love seeing the teamwork & selflessness when two people are dedicated to each other. 

Yesss I ship a lot of ships but the only one I read fanfictions for is Severus / Hermione from HP. Often involving a time turner, making it all the more fun. I don't care much for smut, when it's there, it's there, I'm not interested in it but I don't necessarily see the couple as asexual (depends on the fics really).

2 hours ago, Pramana said:

I'm not sure if shipping fictional characters is actually more common among asexuals/aromantics, or if it's just more common among people who spend time in online communities

the second option imo, it can be an online thing but definitely not an aro-ace thing.

Haha, yup, guilty as charged...I definitely do it! Not really a big thing for me though, kind of just me thinking that I'd really like to see these two characters get together or that they would be cute together :) 

I'd say my biggest ones at the moment...

Katniss and Finnick in The Hunger Games 

Olivia and Nick in Law and Order SVU (even though he's not on the show anymore LOL) 

Charles and Rosa in Brooklyn Nine Nine (Don't ask me why on this one, they're just cute together okay? :D

bluejeanjirl

I try not to "ship" too much.... if the characters get together it usually ruins the story.  I was/am a Stargate SG-1 fan,... Jack and Sam never got together on the show (it was not part of the show),... they gave us just enough tantalizing tidbits to keep in interesting.  They played it realistically in the sense that personal relationships between members of the same unit (in the U.S. military) are supposed to be verboten.  Much as such relationships are not supposed to be allowed in most of the businesses I have been employed by.

Back in the 1980's there was a show called Remington Steele,... Pierce Brosnan and Stefanie Zimbalist.... when the characters actually got together the show jumped the shark.  Without the sexual tension and verbal sparring it was not fun any more. 

Happily ever afters are best at the end of the run. 

Yes, but it never occurred to me to do it until I was exposed to other people's shipping thoughts. 

I've had a lot of fun with it, but I only really find it possible to ship characters who are close friends in the original fiction; and then I sometimes think it's a shame to turn their beautiful friendship into a sort of "friends with benefits" situation. 

Sometimes i do when I'm bored... My current and only ship I' sure is to become real is Touka and Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul, but I want them to just be platonic friends, but it's becoming apparent they're going to be more than friends at the end of Season 2... -_-

NerotheReaper

Well long as it makes sense, like when there are some apparent feelings between the characters. Or when a romance between a pair of characters makes sense, I don't ship everyone with everyone. Sometimes there doesn't need to be a ship. That is just me

I agree NerotheReaper. I just ship to "guess" if said two characters are going to get together or not. 90% of the time, I'm correct...

I even sometimes do an asexual sort of shipping where instead of imagining people becoming "couples," I imagine certain characters will become BFFs forever.

1 minute ago, Jade Cross said:

more of a characters who would make a killer team rather than adversaries.

Yes, this!  

Lucy in the sky

I do, but not that many :)

Idk, If I feel like they have 'chemistry' (however you chose to define it), or like they would make a good match, I definitely want them to be together.

11 minutes ago, litanies said:

I even sometimes do an asexual sort of shipping where instead of imagining people becoming "couples," I imagine certain characters will become BFFs forever.

Same. 

I.e Voltron:Legendary Defender I ship characters more as close friends than anything romantic.

My exception to that rule... *lovingly stares at Hiccstrid* 

I support being able to ship whomever fictional characters together barring the ones that go into bad territory even for more sexually oriented folks.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
2 hours ago, Lacey. said:

Yeppppp.

It's honestly alarming how much I do it. I've always joked that I never have energy for real life relationships because I'm always thinking about fictional ones. Real life love isn't nearly as exciting.

Same here, though I wouldn't call it a "ship" but a monogamous fictional relationship. 100% equal, on same eye level. We stand, fight , love, fall or die together.

I ship romantic relationships, but usually when an attraction is at least implied in canon. I have to genuinely believe it's plausible. I also ship QPR-type relationships, which are actually often my favourite ships.

Digs_Dead_People
3 hours ago, Lovelykat said:

I always found it odd that even though I'm aro spec, I do ship some fictional and TV couples...just curious if other people do it too I guess. 

So...do you "ship" fictional couples, and if you do...what are some "ships" you like or characters you ship? 

All of the time!  I'm way into yaoi, which I write and read, and shipping is part of that.

I ship Otabek and Yurio; Yuri and Viktor; Gojyo and Hakkai; Goku and Sanzo; Goku and Konzen;  Kenren, Tenpo, and Goujun; Hamura and Goku; Hamura and anyone else; and Cherry and Rayflo.   I also have other ships, all m/m, but I can't think of any right now. xD  

Youreboththebestbestfriend

I love shipping, but it's more in the sense of "these should end up together" and not just because I want them to have sex or something. It's mostly like "they're so good together/have great chemistry".
My biggest ships:
Harry & Hermione (Harry Potter), Dylan & Evan (Primeval New World), Kate & Rick (Castle). These are the ones I really believe in haha. Especially Harry and Hermione, I mean. They are great together and no one can tell me otherwise, they had more chemistry than Hermione & Ron. xD

OMGYES!

All HP but here goes:

Draco/Harry (Drarry)

Severus/Harry (Snarry)

Draco/Ron (Dron)

Draco/Neville

Remus/Sirius (Wolfstar)

Remus/Severus

Viktor/Ron

Charlie/Draco

Fred/George (no judging!)

Albus Severus/Scorpius

Seamus/Dean (Deamus)

<3 <3 <3

I certainly do. Two of my closest friends I've made through our ship art. We like to make stuff with each other in mind. Like here, friend, look at this thing that's relevant to your interests and be destroyed.

My fave ship is Yuma/Astral from Zexal. A few others I really like are Shun/Yuto from Arc V, Sora/Riku from Kingdom Hearts & Yuzu/Serena from Arc V.

Archived