Do people actually enjoy sex scenes?

quietcrayon

When done well, sex (or rather love-making) scenes are very enjoyable for me. A silhouette of a woman’s flat stomach, man’s hands, caressing her breasts or lower back – it really gets me thinking about how I want to be touched.

swirl_of_blue

I enjoy some, but not all. I find heterosexual scenes very uncomfortable regardless of what they are like, but am much more comfortable with gay or lesbian scenes as long as the people in them are attractive and the sex isn't rough.

Most of the sex scenes are gratuitous, and I abhor manipulative, formulaic cinema.

Shonda Rhimes is a good example of that. Yeesh.

NoLongerActive1234

It is like with everything in movies that it depends on the plot I think. Some sex scenes are just awkward and disturbing, not adding anything to the story while some would not be the same movie without it. 

16 hours ago, m4rble said:

I didn't watch every episode in that part of the series.

I own the full set of Buffy and Angel DVDs :-) It was that part of Angel where Wesley really grew into a first-class character, after starting out as a comic relief in both Buffy and his earlier appearances on Angel.

46 minutes ago, roland.o said:

I own the full set of Buffy and Angel DVDs :-) It was that part of Angel where Wesley really grew into a first-class character, after starting out as a comic relief in both Buffy and his earlier appearances on Angel.

What does that have to do with his weird hate fucks? 

Just now, m4rble said:

What does that have to do with his weird hate fucks?

I'm glad you asked... I spent an hour or two thinking about these scenes and was just looking for an excuse to post my thoughts :-)

A major point of the storyline, and/or Wesleys characterization, was that he got alienated and estranged from his former friends at the time. "Sleeping with the enemy" was a way for Joss Whedon, the storyteller, to express and emphasize this estrangement. From the top of my head, I remember three of these scenes.

The first one was at the end of an episode, with the evil lawyer dressing up as a ridiculous mockup of Wesley's unrequiting love interest Fred (a female character, for those not familiar with the series). She teased him, he jumped her, and when she wanted to take off the fake glasses, he told her to "keep them on".

The second one was an episode or two later, after an act, the lawyer getting dressed and telling Wesley not to think about her when she's gone. He replied: "I wasn't thinking about you while you were here." For me, that's the most memorable quote from Wesley all over both series. Brutally honest and unemotional.

In the third one, again after an act, Wesley makes a derogatory remark about their "relationship". She calls him out on using "the R word". They had a bet going about who'd be the first to do that. The price was symbolic, a dollar bill signed by the loser.

The first scene established the fact that he was sleeping with the enemy, and that he was merely using her body, with her consent. The second scene was necessary to establish that it was not just one moment of weakness, like Angel spending a night with Darla, but an ongoing arrangement. The third scene showed that Wesley got attached to her after all. He couldn't keep sex and emotions separate as he thought he would, which made him more human and likeable again. He was not joining the dark side, but slowly coming back to his senses.

From my point of view, these three scenes were essential for the storytelling. If there were more, they must have been less memorable, and I would agree they were gratuitious. Some of these scenes also appeared in the "last week on Angel" summary at the beginning of each episode, so they might have seemed disproportionate if you were binge-watching. But I think that Joss really kept them to a minimum, if you allow for sexual encounters being relevant to character development.

4 minutes ago, roland.o said:

I'm glad you asked... I spent an hour or two thinking about these scenes and was just looking for an excuse to post my thoughts :-)

A major point of the storyline, and/or Wesleys characterization, was that he got alienated and estranged from his former friends at the time. "Sleeping with the enemy" was a way for Joss Whedon, the storyteller, to express and emphasize this estrangement. From the top of my head, I remember three of these scenes.

The first one was at the end of an episode, with the evil lawyer dressing up as a ridiculous mockup of Wesley's unrequiting love interest Fred (a female character, for those not familiar with the series). She teased him, he jumped her, and when she wanted to take off the fake glasses, he told her to "keep them on".

The second one was an episode or two later, after an act, the lawyer getting dressed and telling Wesley not to think about her when she's gone. He replied: "I wasn't thinking about you while you were here." For me, that's the most memorable quote from Wesley all over both series. Brutally honest and unemotional.

In the third one, again after an act, Wesley makes a derogatory remark about their "relationship". She calls him out on using "the R word". They had a bet going about who'd be the first to do that. The price was symbolic, a dollar bill signed by the loser.

The first scene established the fact that he was sleeping with the enemy, and that he was merely using her body, with her consent. The second scene was necessary to establish that it was not just one moment of weakness, like Angel spending a night with Darla, but an ongoing arrangement. The third scene showed that Wesley got attached to her after all. He couldn't keep sex and emotions separate as he thought he would, which made him more human and likeable again. He was not joining the dark side, but slowly coming back to his senses.

From my point of view, these three scenes were essential for the storytelling. If there were more, they must have been less memorable, and I would agree they were gratuitious. Some of these scenes also appeared in the "last week on Angel" summary at the beginning of each episode, so they might have seemed disproportionate if you were binge-watching. But I think that Joss really kept them to a minimum, if you allow for sexual encounters being relevant to character development.

I didn't think the scenes themselves were gratuitous, I just disliked the fact that he was in a sexual relationship with her in the story. I suppose it could be a mark of his estrangement from his friends. I thought it seemed rather insensitive that he wanted to have sex with her after she dressed up as Fred. I guess he was so frustrated and lonely that he wanted connection with anyone, but I didn't understand what his emotional state was supposed to be like at all because his decisions didn't seem to make sense to me. How could he deal with the lawyer in any capacity, let alone have sex with her? 

Just now, m4rble said:

I didn't understand what his emotional state was supposed to be like at all because his decisions didn't seem to make sense to me. How could he deal with the lawyer in any capacity, let alone have sex with her?

He was trying to numb his emotions by pursuing a physical/sportive/exhaustive activity. I'd rather go jogging, but who'd want to see that in a TV series?

1 minute ago, roland.o said:

He was trying to numb his emotions by pursuing a physical/sportive/exhaustive activity. I'd rather go jogging, but who'd want to see that in a TV series?

That's funny. I guess so, but there's a big difference between jogging and having sex with the person who just impersonated your girlfriend who was brutally killed.

Just now, m4rble said:

who just impersonated your girlfriend who was brutally killed.

I don't remember Fred being killed. Her body made it into the Finale of the last season, her mind wasn't wiped out by the witch until season 5, and the encounters between Wesley and the evil lawyer happened in season 3 I think. Wesley couldn't get Fred because she was in love with Gunn. He fell out with his friends because he had kidnapped and lost Angel's baby son. The evil lawyer was presenting him with an ancient print or copy of Dante, to remind him that the innermost circle of hell is reserved for the traitor. That's when he lost it.

2 minutes ago, roland.o said:

I don't remember Fred being killed. Her body made it into the Finale of the last season, her mind wasn't wiped out by the witch until season 5, and the encounters between Wesley and the evil lawyer happened in season 3 I think. Wesley couldn't get Fred because she was in love with Gunn. He fell out with his friends because he had kidnapped and lost Angel's baby son. The evil lawyer was presenting him with an ancient print or copy of Dante, to remind him that the innermost circle of hell is reserved for the traitor. That's when he lost it.

Oh I see, I forgot which order things happened in. I don't believe season five happened on TV, it was probably only in the comics. Fred was killed by Illyria, even if some of her memories remained, she was still dead. Her body survived and was occupied by Illyria, but she was still dead. That happened after Wesley had sex with the lawyer though. Fred did date Wesley later in the series before she was killed though, after they had temporarily forgotten Wesley had betrayed Angel.(I wouldn't really call it betrayal though, he was just trying to protect Angel's son) I still found the fact that she dressed as Fred distasteful at the time though. My issue was that I thought the lawyer was an unrepentant psychopath so I didn't understand how Wesley could trust her enough to have sex with her, but I suppose that he was able to deal with himself. Other characters are that are love interests are evil during certain portions of the series but at least show humanity some of the time. The lawyer never had a redemption arc and never showed any signs of caring about other people. 

Edit: Never mind, there is a season 5. 

On 2017-08-19 at 11:59 PM, Polygon said:

(ALSO, NORA, QUEEN OF THE CASTLE IS YOUR PROFILE PIC OMG :D )

Yes, of course its Nora, fellow a-spec, RWBY fan, because she is queen of castle (and she's amazing). We should find more fans and start a topic or chat or something.

Apathetic Echidna

@roland.o and @m4rble I love the Buffy and Angel discussion so much. I swear I had a mini-fangirl moment just seeing it discussed. 

as for my thoughts....I am generally indifferent if the scenes are short and have good background music, they are interesting if they advance the plot, if they are drawn out or have full sound effects with no music (looking at you True Blood season 1) I much prefer to skip it or leave the room even if it does ad to the plot. 

True Blood was a birthday gift, and when I complained about the unnecessary sex scenes to the gifter he said no sex scene was unnecessary, and that is the moment I discovered some people get pleasure watching sex scenes.  

• 3 weeks later...
nothinbuttrouble

I don't enjoy all sex scenes, but I do enjoy very many of them. This is because though I don't want to have sex with anyone, I do crave emotional intimacy with touch (for me, this means cuddling, kissing, etc.) Very many sex scenes portray this and I respond emotionally to it. I'm not even slightly sex repulsed so for the longest time I just accepted that sex was expected if you are going to be physically intimate with someone. Don't worry, I'm over that now. But sex scenes can still do it for me.

Ippiki-ookami

I find such scenes super uncomfortable and unnecessary. So much so that I tend to avoid watching TV with others at night because it's more likely to come up. At least if I'm watching TV on my own I can just switch the channel but if I'm watching with someone else what to do?? Awkward..

I've stopped watching movies that had a sex scene in the first few seconds and even though Game of thrones sounds like a show I would enjoy, I haven't watched it because apparently it's full of them.

I find them a bit gross and annoying, but fortunately they're usually about 6 seconds long so I can go back to what I watched the movie for.

Strange But Not a Stranger

I'm okay with them, as long as they're not overly detailed, If they go on too long I tend to get bored, like puh-lease go back to the real story line or something.

While not being sex-repulsed (anymore), I don't appreciate them. Or, rather, I should say I passionately dislike sex scenes. I can be watching a movie/show, and think it's a good 9/10, but the second there's a sex scene that goes anywhere beyond two people getting into the same bed, that drops to like 4/10. I don't appreciate the sexualization of everything. I understand that it's a thing and might happen in these stories, but please let it be implied or something, I don't want to see/hear anything.

There are movies/shows I refuse to watch on the grounds that the director thought it was a good idea to include a drawn out sex scene.

As for the title of the thread... "Sex sells"

Sometimes yes -- I read a lot of romance books and if I feel connected to the characters/romance I can enjoy their sex scenes. Also I read sex scenes when I want to masturbate, it helps.

I usually just fast forward past them as I just wanna get back to the damn story.

Sex scenes make me uncomfortable (so do kissing/make out scenes), but I can see why they're put there. I usually skip them and if I'm with friends I close/cover my eyes or look away

Archived