Asexual Atheists?

Beowulf

I was looking through Intersectionality and I noticed that there were no threads for Atheists. I thought it would be a good one to include. Post links, discuss, debate, or just say hi.

Hello! I consider myself a Humanist more than an Atheist- Atheist seem to be a bit more militant than I would like to be associated with. But it's difficult to meet people in the anti-sex, anti-religion Venn diagram!

Hi, that is really cool, I wasn't entirely aware of humanism used like that.

I'm sure there have been threads about atheist asexuals, but maybe not in this particular sub-forum.

I consider myself an atheist, and a humanist and a feminist. And while I am asexual I am not anti-sexual.

Hello! I consider myself a Humanist more than an Atheist- Atheist seem to be a bit more militant than I would like to be associated with. But it's difficult to meet people in the anti-sex, anti-religion Venn diagram!

I always thought of myself as agnostic, But to paraphrase Richard Dawkins, I doubt the existence of God just as much as I doubt the existence of unicorns and Leprechauns. But I can't say 100% that there isn't a God.

Hi! *waves*

I don't believe in God. But I'm not a militant about it. Anyone can have their own theories about the workings of the universe. I just don't think it was created by a God. I think it wonderfully created itself and that is a wonderful thought to me :)

I am an asexual atheist! I will start believing in god when there starts being some evidence. If there is an afterlife, then why is the deadline for conversion over upon death?

I'm an atheist, probably due to being so cynical... I do like some religions and find them interesting, especially polytheistic religions, although it's mostly in the way people are interested in time travel or witches.

I don't like how religious people immediately get defensive when I say I'm an atheist. I'm not out to attack your beliefs, I just don't believe in God personally. I really dislike proselytism, or being told I'm wrong and going to Hell for not being religious.

To parallel this idea, I don't like it when people think I'm anti-sexual because I'm asexual. No, I don't care what goes on in your bedroom, as long as you don't tell me I should participate.

I am an atheist, but I usually don't tell anyone unless it comes up. I just don't feel that me being an atheist is something that is important. I haven't had any issues with people being upset that I am an atheist. I actually have a better view of religion than someone I know who isn't an atheist :P

I am just neutral to religion and sometimes I find it interesting. One of my friends who is a Christian was curious when he found out about me being an atheist, he asked about my thoughts on religion and he talked about how he felt with religion as a whole. Me and him get along really well and we are very close. ^_^

I am a secular humanist, but I am tolerant towards any religion as long as its followers don't try to convince me that Our Lord Jesus is the Savior. But it is a common thing for me to be asked if I attend any church. Lol, no :)

Coincidentally, this just happened-

A network of atheist blogs (http://freethoughtblogs.com/) just finished an online conference which included this very topic. I was able to catch the broadcast and it was rather good. This panel was the first time I heard about this intersection brought up. The speaker Cerberus was particularly interesting.

Personally I've never been the least religious, but find religious studies fascinating strictly on an intellectual level. I'm lucky enough not to have (much) bad experience with religions, so I can study it without any harsh innate reactions.

Hi there. I switch between calling myself agnostic and an atheist but a post I saw the other day online convinced me I'm probably an agnostic atheist. Nobody I know is really religious though so it's not something I talk or think about very often.

Also, I didn't know there are things like asexual spectrum atheist conferences. Perhaps I'll take a look at it.

Hi, atheist asexual here! :)

Hello! I consider myself a Humanist more than an Atheist- Atheist seem to be a bit more militant than I would like to be associated with.

It's rather unfortunate, I think, that atheists have collectively developed a bad reputation due to a handful of our more vocal and (admittedly) "militant" members. However, I have met many more militant (or "fervent", they say) religious people than I have atheists, in that none of the atheists I know in person have ever tried to convert or otherwise force their views on others.

As an aside, even though I am atheist, I do find learning about some religions incredibly interesting! Norse mythology and Shintoism, to name a few. :)

I'm an agnostic atheist who, ironically, used to be a diehard hellfire and brimstone fundamentalist southern Baptist. But then, I guess that's why I'm an atheist now! ;)

Hi, atheist asexual here! :)

It's rather unfortunate, I think, that atheists have collectively developed a bad reputation due to a handful of our more vocal and (admittedly) "militant" members.

That reputation has existed basically forever. You can find articles written in the late 1800s complaining about how aggressive and hateful atheists are well before there was any kind of organizing. The new complaints are just taking modern quotes and hanging it on the old frame. There seems to be a steady number of people in any time that believe atheists can only exist out of spite.

I think of myself as agnostic atheist. I don't really believe in the exisistence of any kind of deity, but there are so many things we don't know about the universe that it seems strange to adamantly deny the possibility.

While I don't believe, I have no problem with people who do, as long as they're not trying to push their beliefs and ideals on others.

And I'm aro-ace. :)

I'm an atheist, so I guess I'm in this group... But I feel like I should say also something else about it because I'm addicted to typing out words.

Okay, here goes story time!

My parents raised me and my siblings as Christian because they apparently wanted to give us that experience and the option of being religious even though they aren't themselves (I didn't know that as a kid). I rebelled in Sunday school. You see, as a kid, I was really into reading non-fiction and exploring stuff I found interesting, and dinosaurs are awesome. By age five, I could tell you about all the different eras of natural history and changes in flora and fauna and draw maps of the continents as they shifted. I could tell you about dinosaurs, but also Cenozoic mammals and Paleolithic trilobites. I was the kid who'd see a tyrannosaurus fighting a stegosaurus in Fantasia and point out loudly that the two creatures lived about 90 million years apart, and also they're dragging their tails, which doesn't reflect modern scientists' ideas - I mean, what's the point of a tail if not for balance? (I don't think I knew the movie was made in 1940.)

What this means is that I was no fan of Genesis 1.

Because I was predisposed, as a result of Genesis 1, to look at everything in the Bible critically, I would find all the inconsistencies and stupidities and challenge the poor Sunday school volunteer over them. And, because I read voraciously, I would challenge her about the things she didn't even teach the class. Minor things. At age six, I refused to fill in the heart in "Jesus <3 me" in our handouts and instead wrote "Evolushun takes the place of god as creater of all life in the Universe and god may not be true." (My parents hid it from the teacher, took it home, and kept it.) Each year afterwards, we'd start with Genesis 1, and I'd get better and better at challenging the class with my conviction that it was all just stupid.

I was really hostile towards Christianity and religion in general until my teenage years, when I no longer faced any pressure to be Christian myself (my parents realized Sunday school was just getting me angry). I also met a lot of Christians who are less fundamentalist and more open to discussion and critical thinking than my old Sunday school teachers, vastly improving my opinion of Christianity and those people who find a way to reconcile with faith. Nowadays I think religions are all pretty cool. There are people in my time, in my country, in my neighborhood, with staggeringly different worldviews than mine, and that's pretty amazing! Also, they give me holidays! Hooray!

So when I look at militant atheists, I think to myself, "that's me if I were raised slightly differently."

As an aside, even though I am atheist, I do find learning about some religions incredibly interesting! Norse mythology and Shintoism, to name a few. :)

I really love how in the old Norse religion Odin struggles through the ages trying to get any edge he can over the forces of evil in order to preserve just a fragment of the doomed present's glory through Ragnarok. From an existentialist viewpoint, ultimately the final traces of human civilization will vanish, and I love the idea of a wandering, morally questionable one-eyed quasi-immortal raven handler cosplaying Gandalf and doing the best he can to shine a tiny light through that darkness.

Hai!!! Used to be Christian (first Catholic, then Methodist), but on the 14th of January of this year I became an Agnostic Atheist. I do go a bit more though, I'm a Skeptic, Secular Humanist, God mocker.

FallOutAtTheMotionCityDisc

I don't usually call myself Atheist because of the reasons mentioned, religious people get almost offended about it. I refer to myself as ""non-religious" for the most part. Non-religious non-sexual here! :lol: It I were to name it I'd be and agnostic atheist though.

I've never exactly identified as atheist, but I was raised by non-religious parents so you could probably say I am. I rarely meet atheists who aren't atheists as a result of pushing away from religion. For me atheism was just how I was brought up. I find the stories in this thread are really interesting.

I'm prefer Hitchens to Dawkins for the aethiest book club. That is, yes, and while God was a useful concept, he always was a God of the gaps that makes no sense to hang onto now, unless we like conflict.

I consider myself Agnostic, but I'd lean more towards Atheism than the alternative from a purely logical standpoint.

I'm an agnostic atheist asocial asexual aromantic.

Hah! Me too, if you add "secular humanist" to the mix.

Asexual Aromantic Agender Agnostic Atheist
I guess I'm on the A Team... :blink:

Archived