Representation frustrations

Yep, me

Post them here! Here are some: "When the only sexualitys mentioned are gay and straight, ARRG!" "When you get your hopes up for it being a show about asexuals because of the name Atypical, when you look at the description, you find out it's about autism, ok, that's fine. But then you watch it, and leaning towards autism itself, and knowing what it is thoroughly, you realize it just lumps together all of the stereotypes, and doesn't actually resemble autism, ARRG!

AsexualAnomaly

*When you get hyped to be represented by Jughead in Riverdale and then get shafted.

*When you're rejected by the LGBTQ+ community.

*When people would rather the A in LGBTQ+ stood for Ally instead of Asexual

*When the LGBTQ+ community still doesn't count you as LGBTQ+ even though you're Panromantic.
(Yes, I have a lot of pent up frustration with the LGBTQ+ Community.)

*When people don't consider Romantic Orientations a thing and think the only part of attraction is Sexual.

Mfw I encounter any of these things:

fe1b1da84e6ef70f54d495b5de141c00.jpg

Riverdale is filmed near me, so I am frustrated to the point of hunting them down and just saying hey can you do this already?

If we create a petition and all sign it, will that make them listen?

Also do you Will & Grace might be a good place to add an Ace character?  Say someone younger who moved in down the hall, say who doesn't have family support?  It would get the conversation going right? 

3 hours ago, Vicky Angel said:

Riverdale is filmed near me, so I am frustrated to the point of hunting them down and just saying hey can you do this already?

I didn't know anyone else in BC Canada on AVEN. Even though I haven't seen the show, I have been to the diner that was used in the show.

11 minutes ago, Rwkropf said:

I didn't know anyone else in BC Canada on AVEN. Even though I haven't seen the show, I have been to the diner that was used in the show.

We have whole meet up groups for BC

Just now, Vicky Angel said:

We have whole meet up groups for BC

As much as I find that interesting, going to such a thing would draw suspicion that I do not need right now.

16 minutes ago, Rwkropf said:

As much as I find that interesting, going to such a thing would draw suspicion that I do not need right now.

ok

1 minute ago, Vicky Angel said:

ok

I guess this in itself could count as "representation frustrations" as it would be rather risky for me to come out as ace. Still, it would be nice if I could go out finally meet someone else who is also ace.

Apathetic Echidna

I remember seeing an interview panel information show about asexuality years ago and it was talked about for a while, then conversation about asexuality completely disappeared

RoseGoesToYale

When I started watching Due South a month ago, I had high hopes for Constable Fraser being ace. Innuendos and subtle flirting fly right over his head, and he's visually uncomfortable with overt sexual advances. He just does not talk about sex. I thought "Omg, could it be...?", but nope, and I was sad. Ah well, at least the show is pretty much PG.

DesiButters519x

The fact that even when a character is asexual, they feel the need to put him in a relationship, or if they do go and have the character represent, the word "asexual" isn't said. Hey... it's nice to see representation, but the fact that the word isn't said, it's kind of like you're still too fearful to fully embrace and bring out the orientation because of "norms". I don't mean to complain, but how on earth are we going to get more exposure to the ace community, if that sexuality isn't even pronounced in tv shows/movies? (correct me if I am wrong please...)

The vicious cycle of "I don't want to come out as ace because there's no representation which means I'll have to explain literally everything and don't want to do that" and "If I don't come out, though, I will only perpetuate said under-representation." 

I got my office to put up Ace posters so that is something 

3 hours ago, DesiButters519x said:

The fact that even when a character is asexual, they feel the need to put him in a relationship, or if they do go and have the character represent, the word "asexual" isn't said. Hey... it's nice to see representation, but the fact that the word isn't said, it's kind of like you're still too fearful to fully embrace and bring out the orientation because of "norms". I don't mean to complain, but how on earth are we going to get more exposure to the ace community, if that sexuality isn't even pronounced in tv shows/movies? (correct me if I am wrong please...)

I don't think you're wrong; it was also important, and a struggle, for the gay community to be formally recognized/named, back in the 1960s. Before then, they, too were only hinted at by authors in books because it was considered "wrong," "illegal," and "immoral" to mention it, or be openly gay.

To Each Their Own
On 21/08/2017 at 5:15 PM, Vicky Angel said:

If we create a petition and all sign it, will that make them listen?

Also do you Will & Grace might be a good place to add an Ace character?  Say someone younger who moved in down the hall, say who doesn't have family support?  It would get the conversation going right? 

Why do they have to be young? Talk about representation frustration...you'd think asexuality is something that Millennials created.

This is exactly why I think that visibility is so important. I've read so many threads here on AVEN where people say that they are not "out" and that they don't talk about being asexual to anyone for one reason or another. Well, we can't have it both ways. You can't have the "luxury" of staying closeted, whilst at the same time complaining that there is no representation in the media! If we choose to stay invisible ourselves, then how can we complain when others refuse to se us? 

16 minutes ago, paperflames said:

Why do they have to be young? Talk about representation frustration...you'd think asexuality is something that Millennials created.

This is exactly why I think that visibility is so important. I've read so many threads here on AVEN where people say that they are not "out" and that they don't talk about being asexual to anyone for one reason or another. Well, we can't have it both ways. You can't have the "luxury" of staying closeted, whilst at the same time complaining that there is no representation in the media! If we choose to stay invisible ourselves, then how can we complain when others refuse to se us? 

Well, people don't react well sometimes, in fact, It's strangely frowned upon, I'm open because I don't run the risk of people being cruel to me, while many do. It's only a luxury for safety reasons, there's a reason that asexuals have a suiside attempt rate of 46%.It needs to change.

To Each Their Own
11 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:

Well, people don't react well sometimes, in fact, It's strangely frowned upon, I'm open because I don't run the risk of people being cruel to me, while many do. It's only a luxury for safety reasons, there's a reason that asexuals have a suiside attempt rate of 46%.It needs to change.

Where does this %46 suicide attempt statistic come from? I've never heard of it. 

6 minutes ago, paperflames said:

Where does this %46 suicide attempt statistic come from? I've never heard of it. 

It was an article listing suiside rates of different groups, it seemed we had it the worst.

To Each Their Own
16 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:

It was an article listing suiside rates of different groups, it seemed we had it the worst.

That statistic sounds inflated to me. I would question the veracity of the source. 

39 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:

How is it possible to get an accurate guess on the suicide rate when it is not possible to get an accurate estimate on the percentage of the population being ace? 

I wonder if they used a small sample size for aces to get this data due to us being so uncommon. Mind linking the article so that we may find out more?

Edit: was this what you were talking about? http://nextstepcake.tumblr.com/post/76987766185/today-in-depressing-statistics

To Each Their Own

These data are for transgender people. But let's just go with these numbers anyway. 

Not gonna lie, no one should ever be put in a position where suicide seems like it's their best option. Having said that, people have been known to make statistics look dramatic when in fact they are not. This Tumbler article is a case in point. 

For example, these percentages are not statistically significant given the sample population. Only %4 of the sampled population were asexual, meaning one person is going to have a huge affect on that particular percentage whereas someone from the heterosexual population will only have a minuscule affect. So, when you talk about %46 percent of the asexual transgender population, you're talking about 260 people (in this sample size). And when you're talking about only %40 percent of the heterosexual transgender population, you're talking about 1341 people (in this sample size). See how you can make it look like there are so many more asexuals attempting suicide? And that was just the heterosexual people. There were also 1326 gay/lesbian, and 1473 bisexuals people. 

As for the article, that was one of the first links for a quick google search, and the number of 46% matched.

My main concern is that we have no way of knowing with a degree of accuracy on how many aces attempt suicide. The primary reason I state this is that even if a big enough sample size was chosen, there are so many other variables that could affect the study. What about aces that don't know they are aces, are those sampled closeted aces, or out of the closet aces, which cultures are these aces from, etc. As for this study, the main focus is on trans people, which could easily affect the data.

In relation to representation (thread topic), we could possibly get a lot more representation if asexuality showed up in more studies, and it could prove useful to us if these studies were accurate.

Archived