Anyone watching 'No more boys and girls' on the BBC?

Acing It

I'm going to watch it on iPlayer with my mum, in the hope that it will open her mind to the concept of non-binary identities.

Karacoreable

Oh yeah I saw that! I'm definitely watching it and I really really really wanted to make a thread about it :lol: Beat me to it! This has got to be the perfect place to discuss the programme, anyway. Soon as I've watched it I'll be back. :) 

It was on yesterday evening, but one of the two links in my post is for the link on Iplayer.

I don't think it will help show non-binary identities... it's not about that really. It's more about the way everyone subconsioucly influences and is influenced by how society thinks about gender; essentially, gender is a binary. We're all succeptible to that, unfortunately. I think awareness of your own conceptions is key in doing something about it.

Here's a riddle:

A dad travels with his son to an event. They have an accident and the father dies on the spot. The son is rushed to hospital, heavily wounded. When he ends up in the operating theatre, the surgeon takes one look and says "I can't operate, that's my son"... How can that be?

Don't open the spoiler until you've thought about this for a while or you think you know the answer.

Spoiler

Its the mother... Surgeons can be female as well you know!

Well I don't know. On one hand I've seen this myself that girls and boys differed back in school (now I don't really have much contact with women, ummm), but it is alarming to me how many children said men are better - is it like this in the UK? The Anglophone culture? This is unsettling.

It makes me think of the Kibuc experiment too.

And all the cheesy stuff they made us do at school :P

Karacoreable

Makes you wonder if kids do change their attitudes when they grow up, or whether they just realise they shouldn't voice those views. That was different to what I expected. Slightly alarming in some ways, I guess... I did like the idea of putting up those statements around classrooms. Because they gave a positive message to both the boys and the girls on what good qualities are.

I don't think this is a UK problem. I don't see why it would be, the schools here are generally pretty good. If it's an issue here it's an issue everywhere.

@Emery. I really hope it's not just us, anyway! ;) 

All the little Lights

I watched the first episode, and I find it quite interesting, how easily the mindsets of these kids can be changed. This gives me hope for all the children I've come out to and still have to come out to as NB. So if I explain it, they'll understand it. That is a wonderful skill that children have.

Also, the program shows easy and cool ways for teaching children that any adult can do any job they're good in just fine.

I wonder if this would still be the same, if you wouldn't tell the kids that this is about gender, not asking them so many questions about it and especially not telling them what the learning outcome of these things should be. In the one where they tested the strength of the kids, it was a very important part that the investigator of this study (I'm sorry, I don't remember the name) told them afterwards that boys and girls actually are equally strong.

I simply don't remember such views being a thing until I moved to the UK :P Maybe it's the capitalist West :lol: When you're poor and/or communist, you ain't got the time or money for gender roles and stereotypes :P

Karacoreable
41 minutes ago, Emery. said:

I simply don't remember such views being a thing until I moved to the UK :P Maybe it's the capitalist West :lol:

I like capitalist West better, let's go with that. :P

Archived